free hit
counters
Esprit S2 Driving side conversion - RHD to LHD - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit S2 Driving side conversion - RHD to LHD

Hi everyone, 

I may go directly to the dog house with such title as naïvely i think it may be like for an Elise. A long but not that difficult or unrealistic Job.

Can it be done ?  What is the necessary part list, usual labor time, and among this list, are some parts difficult to find ?

Thank you by advance. for your answers.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Done this with the stevens esprit, no rocket science. Only change to the chassis was welding the studs for the pedal box.

The dash is grp and can easily be changed. The bar to which the steering column and dash are bolted needs to be "mirrored".

Also this is not that difficult or just buy another one. The steering rack also has to be exchanged.

Is not more difficult than the elise just a bit more work.

• Like 1

As stated above, would add that the odd line and/or cable will perhaps also be in need of rework. The throttle cable certainly, and the infernal parking brake will need a solution and for that perhaps consider conversion to the electric parking brakes now available through a number of sources. That would eliminate the lever and cables for PB operation. Not sure whether the air conditioning hoses are run differently, LHD vs RHD.

Good luck

Might be easier and cheaper to get get a LHD car? Theres lots of work involved. You could sell the RHD and get a LHD from the USA? Lots of things have to change like the wiper, handbrake, chassis, binacle, dash, wiring, headlights, trim. You could do it no problem with enough time. I'm almost five years into my current resto. Maybe six or seven to do all this extra work. PNM might be able to convert the chassis - they have all the jigs.

• Like 2

Thank You Fabian, Steve and Cor,

Currently all post 1975 RHD cars are significantly cheaper in LHD. Corona may change the situation.
Technically I guess it is a little more work than i could initially think. 

The forum search engine did not find this that i got this morning with Google. 

So LHD are currently cheaper than RHD, if I read the above correctly. That would suggest that the Brits are ahead of trend in appreciation of these cars, and not for the first time. Boggles the mind that people are paying 6 figure sums for ancient VW bus ( AKA Transporter ? ) over here in nuthouse North America !!! 

🤪

• Like 1

Having imported an LHD Esprit S1 into the UK from the States, my initial idea was to convert it to RHD. (so the opposite to yourself).However, after trawling through these forums and getting advice from various people on here I decided to keep it LHD but to convert everything else. I must say, it has (to me) been a pretty big job entailing more work than I realised. Yes, everything CAN be done, it just depends how much work you wish to take on. Of course with mine being a federal car there is a lot more work to convert it to 'european' spec - bumpers, valances, lights, wiper, etc plus all the USA safety features like the crash pad running across the dash etc.

The other consideration was that being an S1 everyone advised me that keeping it 'original' would help further down the road if I ever came to sell it. Plus I might want to take it on a tour on the continent! I might tag onto @Lotusfab 's trip to Italy!! (Corona Virus permitting of course!) So everything I have done can be reversed should it ever go back to the States.

5 minutes ago, williamtherebel said:

Having imported an LHD Esprit S1 into the UK from the States, my initial idea was to convert it to RHD. (so the opposite to yourself).However, after trawling through these forums and getting advice from various people on here I decided to keep it LHD but to convert everything else. I must say, it has (to me) been a pretty big job entailing more work than I realised. Yes, everything CAN be done, it just depends how much work you wish to take on. Of course with mine being a federal car there is a lot more work to convert it to 'european' spec - bumpers, valances, lights, wiper, etc plus all the USA safety features like the crash pad running across the dash etc.

The other consideration was that being an S1 everyone advised me that keeping it 'original' would help further down the road if I ever came to sell it. Plus I might want to take it on a tour on the continent! I might tag onto @Lotusfab 's trip to Italy!! (Corona Virus permitting of course!) So everything I have done can be reversed should it ever go back to the States.

Your more than welcome!

• Like 1

Lhd and rhd esprits go for similar money here in Germany if they go at all (according  to what i observe in the national advert websites anyway) and they are incredibly rare. Two reasons why. They were never officially sold on mainland Europe and people are frightened of them. I have looked at ads for all esprits and they seem to stay there for a very long time. I suppose you could argue easily against buying one as 911s are plentiful and there are garages on every corner that know them inside out. You have to be able to maintain an esprit yourself and  partial or full restoration is definitely a diy job. Again the issue certainly in Munich is that people mostly live in apartments and using a garage as a workshop is nigh on impossible so you are forced to either, buy a house in the suburbs (Germans generally rent) that has a garage, rent a workshop (expensive and rarer than an esprit, or have it repaired/restored by a  professional. There are numerous places here that will restore and Porsche or BMW. A lotus? Not really. If I didn’t have the skills I’d probably buy a 911 myself but when the sun comes out I can guarantee my car will be turning heads amongst the sea of Porsches!!

• Like 1

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971