free hit
counters
Selling My Esprit Possibly? Your Advice Please - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Selling My Esprit Possibly? Your Advice Please

Hi All, I decided last weekend to advertise my GT3 for sale on Pistonheads, as it was free and not really in a rush or at this time really bothered on selling it, as possibly moving house/ changing job etc and still fancy a V8 but not just yet.

Any way I have had lots of contact via email and phone calls from a chap in Germany (Tim.oelschlaeger) who seems very interested and a genuine buyer. He has been willing to pay a deposit etc which I have declined at the present time as I need to take my personal reg plate off the car. He is now asking for my full name, address and landline phone number.

My questions fellow Forumers.... Am I being paranoid about giving out my details, Does he really need to know this info??? Can any German Forumers check If he is who he says he is? Or do I avoid any Overseas buyers full stop?

Regards Paul

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you're being paranoid - it's like meeting someone over a drink and being grilled for information. Guy might be genuine and just keen to secure the car, but I'd keep it an email and moby only relationship for now and certainly not take a deposit (which could be an advance fee fraud kinda thing).

Just because you think you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!!

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Hi Paul,

ref:.........."He has been willing to pay a deposit etc ".......................

This could be the first step in a kind of fraud for which (at least in the Netherlands) Nigerian criminals are famous in off-handing you at least money (but not limited to that / evt. incl. your car) in a very clever and simple way.....

Unfortunately I do not know the details any more................

As far as I remember............... also for instance............could be that they ask you to return the deposit whereas it turns out in the end that you did not posess their deposit at all, so you are the fool..............

Evt. ask the policedepartment in a big(ger) city.

Best regards,

Ruud

To add to the previous reply

the fraude is that they pay you a large sum

in fact on paper they pay you to much

the moment they come to collect your car they ask you to add in cash the "extra money'

after a few days the bank tells you that the transfer is useless

they end up with your car and a small amout of your money

this sounds different

if somebody is willing to make a downpayment while leaving the car and ownership in your hands it seems right

with the right contacts he will be able to get information about car and driver.

he's not going to send you money without knowing who you are

for him you might be a nigerian

i have never bought a house before having some info about buying price, morgage, loans of the former owner. It's easy to get and makes it easyer for the bidding proces.

rens

rens

Edited by rens914

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

Personally, I would keep in touch with the guy. I would give them my landline number but wouldn't give address just yet. Saying that, if he wants to vies the car, how else is he able to find where you live?

Don't forget, he may be just a suspicious as you. Afterall, first tip when buying a car is to be wary of mobile numbers. Always establish a landline and a fixed address.

So when you look back, he's only safeguarding his own interests.

I once sold an S4 to someone who lived in Germany. He had three different names (two aliases) could you believe it! To be honest, I started to get suspicious. It turned out to be genuine and the sale went through. It turned out that well that I still keep in touch with this guy and he's a member on this forum. I still see him from time to time and some events and he's a really nice guy!

This sale could have fallen through had I dealt with it differently...

So the moral of the story is that be careful but don't drive the customer away.

You need to be cautious with all transactions, whether international or local.

I understand some scally-wags live in the NW of England for example :ice:

Remember, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is

As Superdave says, the guy could be genuine and he could have his suspicions about you.

You need his details so you can check him out. Name/address/land line number etc.

If you keep your car at home then make sure its secured. He may be thinking of picking it up when you're not about.

A money laundering scam is to pay in full and then cancel at the last minute with a refund less say the deposit. This way you have received dirty money and now cleaned it up.

There is no fool proof way.

Just be careful and find out as much as possible about the guy.

Alternatively, keep the GT3 and P/X it against a V8 at a local dealers when one comes up.

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Hi All, I decided last weekend to advertise my GT3 for sale on Pistonheads, as it was free and not really in a rush or at this time really bothered on selling it, as possibly moving house/ changing job etc and still fancy a V8 but not just yet.

Any way I have had lots of contact via email and phone calls from a chap in Germany (Tim.oelschlaeger) who seems very interested and a genuine buyer. He has been willing to pay a deposit etc which I have declined at the present time as I need to take my personal reg plate off the car. He is now asking for my full name, address and landline phone number.

My questions fellow Forumers.... Am I being paranoid about giving out my details, Does he really need to know this info??? Can any German Forumers check If he is who he says he is? Or do I avoid any Overseas buyers full stop?

Regards Paul

Paul, Ask Tim to get in toch with me and I try to get it sorted for you.

Cheers

Stefan

Mind if I cut in ?

Same chap?

Scroll down to Seller Information section (follows Q&A).

Could be James, he did say he had his own Internet Buisiness...... :ice:

Regards Paul

Paul, Ask Tim to get in toch with me and I try to get it sorted for you.

Cheers

Stefan

Thanks Stefen, He did say he needed some information on registering the car in Germany also If you know.

How does he contact you? Kind Regards Paul

Could be James, he did say he had his own Internet Buisiness...... :(

Regards Paul

Thanks Stefen, He did say he needed some information on registering the car in Germany also If you know.

How does he contact you? Kind Regards Paul

He can contact me under [email protected]

I will let you know what papers he needs but this falls under normal EC car paperwork.

Did the same, once I decided to buy my S4 in Belgium. Acutally no witch work.

To get this thread off the Forum, you can also email me under this addres for further contacts on the matter

Stefan

Mind if I cut in ?

Everything seems to be under control, so no need for me to interact, right?? ;)

Actually, I think the buyer should be more afraid about fraud than vice versa...just don't mail him the PIN for your mastercard :(

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de