free hit
counters
New Selfmade Shifter, also short lever stroke - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content


New Selfmade Shifter, also short lever stroke


Recommended Posts


Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

After 1 year of work I've made another upgrade of my shifter: the main bearing (ball on the gear lever) is the same than the last version with Ergal 7075 hard anodized caps and Stavax ball, but all the other movements are now on bearings.

For me and some friends I've made a little batch of production and I have a pair of extra kits at disposal.

270032333_IMG-20210420-WA00081.thumb.jpeg.1ee963ae64f261c73caaa4c29eeb2506.jpeg

2130323313_IMG-20210417-WA00101.thumb.jpeg.50e06f96496dccc59887e2e061f9ca48.jpeg

Furthermore, thanks to Mattb130 that helped me to get some measures, I have also made the RHD version.

Here some pics and videos.

Feel free to contact me if you want more info.

 

 

Edited by manuel.400
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got to say I’m very much looking forward to UPS delivering this in a couple of days time (hopefully but frankly who knows with brexit how long it will actually take).

It’s been great talking with Manuel over the last couple of months on the RHD version. He’s genuinely one of the nicest blokes I’ve dealt with. 
 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived today. 
 

I’ve seen loads of photos of this as I’ve been talking with Manuel. However it’s had to appreciate all the details that go into this from photos. 

Hoping to to start the install this evening   Once the kids are in bed  

Lee I’m based in Warwickshire if you want to see it in the flesh. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so my install hasn't gone particularly as smoothly as I'd like (certainly taken longer) however none of that so far has been the fault of the actual shifter. 

When I've stripped out the car I've discovered that my OE shifter cables are decidedly second hand with the outer plastic having cracked. I've subsequently spent a number of days researching cable thinking that there must be a cheaper solution to the After market versions. However whilst I could get a set of cables made up for c£100+vat it would be on me to make sure they are right. So I caved in and went the tried and tested route. 

Cables arrived today and after an hour or so they are now in the car. Just need to fit the R clips. 

Worth saying that I'm glad I'd brought a tiny spanner set for adjusting the soft top cables as the 5.5mm spanner was needed for the handbrake switch. 

I can select Reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and probably 5th and 6th (but harder to test those inside the garage).  I need now to fine tune the throw, and cross gate (decide how much shorter I want them to be) and set the lever neutral position so it slips into 3rd/4th naturally. 

First impressions are that everything is nice and smooth, however because of the tighter tolerances the shifter is made to and the fact it doesn't flex adjustment is probably more critical vs the OEM shifter. I've no doubt that once adjusted to my preferences it will be great.  

Will be having a fettle over the next few nights but I think I'll put the seats back in first to make it more comfortable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To follow up last night didn't exactly go to plan. The new gear cables weren't lying as flat to the floor as the old ones which stopped the mid tray from fitting correctly so I disconnected the handbrake to allow me to reorientate them. From that point onwards everything took longer or wasn't straight forward. To be honest I should have given up earlier and called it a night. 

This evening I've managed to get the car back together, adjust the handbrake back to where it was and drive the car. First drive was about 400m as I couldn't get into 1st or 2nd without using the lift collar for reverse. In fairness from my numerous chats with Manuel we thought this may be the case. So to resolve that I sanded a bit of the reverse block reassembled and then drove it again. This time everything worked as it should, with the unexpected bonus of finding out just how good the gearshift can actually be. Every shift has a nice weight to it, every movement is doing exactly what it should be, I'm no longer rummaging around for a cog. 

Worth saying my car isn't a leggy car its only done just over 34k, the amount of play that I had in the shifter was awful. So this really has transformed the car for me. The biggest shame about this shifter is it does seem a shame to cover up the engineering with the centre console. That said if I were to leave it exposed I'd be constantly fiddling with the adjustments. 

Images and videos to follow    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Must be said that, due to my perfectible English, some technical explanation are not easy for me to traslate..

In Italian it should be 100 times easier 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...