free hit
counters
Refitting body - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I've found a few write ups on here about how to remove the body from an Esprit, but failed to find one on how to put it back on. I've got mine resting back on now, but struggling with aligning a few bits and pieces - intially the front upper wishbone bolts.

I aligned the body with plumb bobs from the outer two bolts on the front and back, and got that spot on. But how close should I expect the to be on other connections. I've also seen mention of people replacing body shims as they were when they removed them. Bit awkward for me that as I bought it in bits....

Any tips gratefully recieved. 

IMG_20200317_130658.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As I understand it you should mount it at an angle with the the front lowered first and the rear quite high, look in youtube with the lotusfactory film, there is an episode where the body is mounted

Enjoyed that video - almost as much a period classic as the car is.

However I'm past that part. I can see how going front first would get you past the top wishbone nut but taking it off works fine too and my two post lift won't do tilting (which is probably just as well).

It's just knowing whether the body is now sitting OK and I can simply bolt it on, or if I should be checking alignment in any way and adding packing shims or washers.

Do you have the service notes? 

There is a description of what to do when fitting the body to the chassis. Section BB. 🙂

It's getting there......

here is an extract

BB 14 - BODY MOUNTING POINTS When mounting the body to the chassis, it may be necessary to use spacing washers between certain mounting points in order to level the.body and/or prevent pre-stressing the body structure, with subsequent distortion and gel crazing.

Esprit. Twelve fixings are used to attach the body to the chassis. All chassis fixing points are plain holes except numbers 13 & 14 (Federal only) which are tapped M10. Holes 1 & 2 (8mm) and 3 & 4 (10mm) are drilled with the body in position. Aluminium 'bobbins' are used in the body at all mounting points except 9 & 10 which holes are drilled through the timber/ composite rear bulkhead. After lowering the body onto the chassis, check that the pedal box mounting bosses are not fouling the body. Locate the body by inserting fixings 11 & 12 (13 & 14 on Federal cars) but do not tighten. Insert spacers if necessary between the body and chassis at points 1 & 2 and drill chassis at these points through the body bobbins. Insert fixing bolts. Similarly drill chassis at points 3 & 4 and insert fixings using spacer washers if necessary. Insert remaining fixings and tighten from the front of car rearwards.

I can't copy the image that goes with this.

1 and 2 are in front luggage compartment. Chassis holes drilled with body in position.
3 and 4 are front of footwells. Chassis drilled with body in position.

5 and 6 are inboard side of footwells

7 and 8 are inboard of seats

9 and 10 are cabin rear bulkhead

11 and 12 are (DOM / ROW) in rear luggage compartment

🙂

It's getting there......

That is just what I need - thank you. Will report back tomorrow when I have had more of a look. 

Well the idea of doing it tomorrow took a knock, like pretty much everyone's planning these days.

However I have had another go - a bit of jacking up the front with two trolley jacks and persuading it over a bit got the front holes (1 and 2) as well lined up as I could, and a with a millimetre or so ground off the edges of those holes I have got the bolts through and aligned. One needed a spacer. Given the holes were drilled to fit originally, and I have done some fibreglass repair work in the front boot I am happy with how it is aligning. I've ordered some of the 32mm washers to finish it off, and will need an extra pair of hands because unlike when the body is off, it is pretty difficult to have one hand on a spanner on each end of these bolts.  At least with schools shut I will have a helper. 

Keep safe everyone.

• Like 1