free hit
counters
2GR-FE engine strip - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting to watch  

Just trying to think with you guys: I know of one local Exige V6 which blew the motor on track in 2013.  No idea what the problem was.  Also the dealer is a bit hush hush about it and no really open t

Thats' quite a change of spec!

Did some research:

The big causes of spun bearings are:
Bad tune causing detonation which hammers the bearings flat and screws up the clearances (more often than not a bad tune will crack a piston ringland before it will cause you to spin a bearing)
Low oil pressure - this can be caused by low oil, a cracked oil pickup tube, or too much high lateral G driving pushing the oil to one side of the pan and starving the pickup tube
Using oil that is too thin to protect the motor adequately 

Just trying to think with you guys: I know of one local Exige V6 which blew the motor on track in 2013.  No idea what the problem was.  Also the dealer is a bit hush hush about it and no really open to give more info.  But... ever since all three Belgian dealers have switched from the (in the technical handbook) recommended 5W-40 to Castrol Edge 10W-60.  Coincidence?

• Like 1

Oil spec change is interesting 60 weight for the hot end is quite heavy I use that in my Lotus Twin Cam, it does reduce the power a small amount but give higher oil pressure

Interesting my last service for my 400 they used GULF Formula ULE 5w-40

8 hours ago, EGTE said:

I do wonder if the variable valve-timing won't struggle with such a thicker spec.

See your Warranty Booklet section 2 “intended purpose”: the recommended fully synthetic engine oil is Castrol Edge 10W/60 under "heavy load" circumstances

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...