free hit
counters
Evora owner wannabe - maybe - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Evora owner wannabe - maybe

I have fairly recently become interested again in Lotus cars, having been put off by an experience with an Eclat about 40 years ago. I realise that's a long time and Lotus today is totally different, but I just hadn't got around to looking at their cars in detail. Now I want one.

I looked first at the Elise but have (reluctantly) decided that it would not be a sensible buy for me. Getting old happens to all of us and a nasty motorcycle crash last year has exacerbated that 'deterioaration', which means getting into and out of low cars is not the joy it once was. The Elise was just ok with the roof off, but with it covered, it was a struggle and being honest I think in the long term would affect my decision as whether I wanted to drive it.

However, having also begun to ponder the Evora, I then saw a bunch at my local dealer (Bell and Colville) and realised they are a truly stunning looking car, with much easier entry and egress and more space in the cabin, which was another potential issue with the Elise. But, and it was a big but, no convertible Evora. However I have since revised my opinion as to whether that is actually a requirement for me and am now seriously considering the Evora.

Sorry for being a bit long winded, but here's my question, well maybe a couple.

1. Have the Evora always had HID headlights, i.e. 35W rather than normal bulbs of about 55W?
  2. Have the other lights always been LED (side, rear, indicators, DRL)?
  3. Are they all hydraulic power steering or are any electric?
  4. How much easier is the S2 (400 onwards) to get into and out of than the S1?

I only tried an S2 (410 I guess) and it was no problem. But I believe the S1 had bigger sills. Is there much difference? Does it make any appreciable difference to ease of entry and egress?

So, my first enquiry about the Evora. I guarantee it won't be the last, but would appreciate help with answers to the above. Thanks.

“You can’t have too many bikes"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Evora vs Elise, I'll say this. The Elise is in it's element on a B-road or track, in the summer with roof off. In those situations, it's a better place to be than the Evora. However, for

It happens! Sadly the Elise has gone now but it was fun to have both for a while! 

Did you ever get done for speeding on the same day, same plate, two different cars? Justin

Posted Images

• Have the Evora always had HID headlights, i.e. 35W rather than normal bulbs of about 55W? - Yup
  • Have the other lights always been LED (side, rear, indicators, DRL)? - Yup
  • Are they all hydraulic power steering or are any electric? - Hydraulic and commonly referred to one of the best setups 
  • How much easier is the S2 (400 onwards) to get into and out of than the S1? - A bit. Depends on your physical makup (long back/long legs) but less door card, lower and thinner sills mean its much easier for some, a little easier for others.

You won't go wrong with B&C, excellent dealership :thumbup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Second that re: B&C. Top dealer, proper warranty offered and all future MOTs free if you buy the car from them. I bought my 2010 NA from B&C in 2018.

Once you own an Evora, you won't look back.

Justin

Bibs has already answered your questions, but thought I’d post a link to my headlight upgrade thread Here as visibility at night dictates your pace far more than the ability of the car.

Evora (and Elise\Exige) can suffer from laquer “peeling” on the headlights, so I don’t think anyone would recommend trying 55w HID bulbs. The upgraded Xenarc’s work great (and my headlights remain - touch wood - completely peel-free) but it’s not a popular upgrade (I think I remain like Tigger in fact... ;) )

571a1131713af_Headlight1.jpg.938c8513511

Edited by mik

Re: Evora vs Elise, I'll say this.

The Elise is in it's element on a B-road or track, in the summer with roof off. In those situations, it's a better place to be than the Evora.

However, for ever other situation (which is 98% of the time for me) I'd much rather be in the Evora. Motorways, A-roads, B-roads, it smashes them all with aplomb. After 3 other Lotus's (Elise x2, Exige) I'd take the Evora every time.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mik said:

Bibs has already answered your questions, but thought I’d post a link to my headlight upgrade thread Here as visibility at night dictates your pace far more than the ability of the car.

Evora (and Elise\Exige) can suffer from laquer “peeling” on the headlights, so I don’t think anyone would recommend trying 55w HID bulbs. The upgraded Xenarc’s work great (and my headlights remain - touch wood - completely peel-free) but it’s not a popular upgrade (I think I remain like Tigger in fact... ;) )

571a1131713af_Headlight1.jpg.938c8513511

They can of course be sanded down and then sprayed with a clear coat. Cheaper than buying one new unit, let alone 2.

6 hours ago, jep said:

Once you own an Evora, you won't look back.

I don't intend to. 😀

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

Re: Evora vs Elise, I'll say this.

The Elise is in it's element on a B-road or track, in the summer with roof off. In those situations, it's a better place to be than the Evora.

However, for ever other situation (which is 98% of the time for me) I'd much rather be in the Evora. Motorways, A-roads, B-roads, it smashes them all with aplomb. After 3 other Lotus's (Elise x2, Exige) I'd take the Evora every time.

Don't say that or I'll be wanting both. I wish. ☹️

26233507_10159707838530527_4432343406303

It happens! Sadly the Elise has gone now but it was fun to have both for a while! 

• Sad 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

9 hours ago, jep said:

Did you ever get done for speeding on the same day, same plate, two different cars?

Justin

Well spotted. Are they actually the same regn. or has one been 'tweeked' to look like the other?

:lol: That was just on the day I swapped the plates from the Elise to the Evora.

I did have 2 ruby red Elise's at the same time, could have got any with the same reg on the pair of them! 

20160811_185338.jpg

• Like 1

Evora NA

One minor correction: Octane magazine actually stated that the Evora was the best hydraulically-assisted steering of any car, ever!

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Bibs said:

:lol: That was just on the day I swapped the plates from the Elise to the Evora.

I did have 2 ruby red Elise's at the same time, could have got any with the same reg on the pair of them! 

20160811_185338.jpg

Which did you prefer? 143bhp (111s) or 118bhp?

Justin