free hit
counters
Can we still go out for a drive ? - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Beady

Can we still go out for a drive ?

wow this was meant as a tongue in cheek post really. 

I have a saying, that if you have to ask a question then you already know the answer, but i was interested in peoples take on it

I have been at home since starting to work from home last Monday and have only nipped out a couple of time locally to buy provisions (and didnt even take the lotus then).

Lets hope this thing passes quicker than many of us fear so we can all get out again

• Like 2

construction and property consultants : My company

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Lol - don't take anything personally on here. At the end of the day we're all hear because we LOVE Lotus cars - everything else is just banter, like being down the pub (but of course we can't do that right now)......   Keep smiling - I've taken the opportunity to take the wheels of my car to give them a proper all over deep clean, and clean up the suspension bits/chassis/etc. |So even if I wanted to, I couldn't get out for a drive.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

tried to hire a large rotavator to get out in the garden the other day but they wont deliver it...gutted!

construction and property consultants : My company

Ok, so which is the safer option? 1; drive out somewhere remote and have a walk. 2; go for a walk from home and try and dodge everyone else and hold your breath while every cyclist wheezes past.

As I said in my previous post, a GOVERNMENT ADVISER said on WATO that it was ok to do option one. If that is not the case, then someone get Boris to tell him to rescind that piece of advice.  Unnecessary travel? Taking buses, trains, the tube, going to  the seaside, visiting friends or relatives,  sightseeing etc., basically anything that involves the potential to spread the virus. As a key worker, I am going out there and risking myself and family for the good of all.  Do not accuse me of being flippant or thinking that I am above the current measures.  Apparently,  if I do insure the Evora for work use , I should still be locked up. Do some of you on here have something against Evoras and/or their drivers?

1 hour ago, Redwing said:

As far as I can interpret the vague govt. measures,  we should be avoiding  social contact. The "STAY IN YOUR HOMES" message is aimed at those who still think it is ok to wander around aimlessly, congregate, or have barbecues in the street. Martial law/total lockdown has not yet been declared. On Tuesday I heard some adviser on WATO say that it was ok to drive out to somewhere in order to take your one piece of daily exercise, so if I go out for a blast and stop and have a walk, then that is ok. With regards accidents/breakdowns,  if I stay at home should I not use any gardening machinery or not do any work off ladders, just in case?

I am a key worker and still drive considerable distances daily. If the  only way I  can get to drive my Evora is  to use it for work, then I shall get my insurance adjusted accordingly for business use. Therefore I should not be locked up under armed guard. 

Is that ok with you?

Are you a teenager?

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

I guess everyone will do whatever their conscience (tempered by desire) will tell them is acceptable.  Which is pretty much why we're in this mess.

• Thanks 1

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

1 hour ago, Redwing said:

Ok, so which is the safer option? 1; drive out somewhere remote and have a walk. 2; go for a walk from home and try and dodge everyone else and hold your breath while every cyclist wheezes past.

As I said in my previous post, a GOVERNMENT ADVISER said on WATO that it was ok to do option one. If that is not the case, then someone get Boris to tell him to rescind that piece of advice.  Unnecessary travel? Taking buses, trains, the tube, going to  the seaside, visiting friends or relatives,  sightseeing etc., basically anything that involves the potential to spread the virus. As a key worker, I am going out there and risking myself and family for the good of all.  Do not accuse me of being flippant or thinking that I am above the current measures.  Apparently,  if I do insure the Evora for work use , I should still be locked up. Do some of you on here have something against Evoras and/or their drivers?

Are you sure you aren’t a Margate resident?

• Haha 1

Margate Exotics.

Rather depends if you are a key worker or not I suppose.41D6BEDC-5533-4324-8065-62A2170EF657.thumb.jpeg.b5e4c120606e0d109fa79d36ed73f5ea.jpeg

• Like 2

Only here once

Oooh, still love the original S1 interior with the metal fasicas - much better than the dark coated crap in the later S1 models.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

As much as it pains me, especially with the nice sunny weather over here, I've parked up the Esprit in the Workshop the day the lockdown came in effect. I know I could still use it to go the shops etc, as I would normally. But hearing how some people were behaving themselves at the supermarket I thought it prudent to switch to something a bit more sturdy. So I'm driving the Range Rover, I'm sure it will do well as an apocalyps vehicle. Until the fuel runs out, that V8 does like to drink!

And for the record, while I agree going out for a drive wouldn't cause any harm as long as you're avoiding all contact, I can understand the rules need to be set and be enforceable. An exception for us few that would really enjoy a drive just for the fun of it just wouldn't be realistic... Even if I don't agree with the way the situation is handled and I fear the panic and economic set back will cause more damage than the virus ever could...

Take care everyone,

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I rest my case !

idiots.JPG

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Beady said:

tried to hire a large rotavator to get out in the garden the other day but they wont deliver it...gutted!

You would think they'd consider their of turnover as well as yours... 😄

• Haha 2

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/police-given-new-powers-and-support-to-respond-to-coronavirus

Monday night they said no non-essential travel. They have now beefed that up with additional powers that the police can issue spot fines, however,  the police should use common sense and discretion unless they don't like the look of you or they have had a bad day or there is a "y" in the day.

The spot fines will double  each time there is a repeat offence and you could be arrested and face court if you don't comply.

Police in west country advising people not to drive to beauty spots just to walk their dogs

I also saw an interview where a correspondent said you could drive for half an hour to somewhere that you could exercise in a remote spot with no contact but I think that was an off the cuff comment that they are probably regretting. @Redwing

14 minutes ago, pete said:

Police in west country advising people not to drive to beauty spots just to walk their dogs

Does this completely outrule dogging then? 

• Haha 1

Only here once

probably still OK on private property as long as you don't drive there and as long as there are no more than two of you and you are from the same household. Are you still doing donuts on the driveway?

11 hours ago, pete said:

But the Chief Constable went on TV and said you could go to your horses wherever they are and take them out for rides! - I suspect daddy may have been getting grief from his little girl wanting to play with her little pony!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Does this completely outrule dogging then? 

you tell us.(what is dogging)

• Haha 1

i must tell that bloke it should be collar not

58 minutes ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Dogging is when you drive to a local beauty spot to take your dog for a walk and end up getting your collar felt....

If you only get your collar felt then I must confess, I really do not see the attraction!

• Haha 1