free hit
counters
Can we still go out for a drive ? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Can we still go out for a drive ?

Technically I will get into the car in the garage, drive around for a while then go back home.

no intention of getting out of the car anywhere, so I am isolating and not even outdoors really.

Of course eventually I might need fuel and I guess I might break down.

Current (uk) rules suggest I am not allowed to go out for a drive - what do you think?

construction and property consultants : My company

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No you can't Reasons - its unecessary movement, you might break down and need assistance, you might crash and need medical assistance, people could see you and think 'if he can do it then I can

I really don't see why stay at home is so hard to understand.    The more people seen "out for a drive" the more people will think it's ok to be out and about.  I despair sometimes at the self centred

Ill be doing just the same Barry but no more.  My wife works on a day surgery ward at our local hospital 3.5 days per week  She came home yesterday and as of Monday she has been put onto 12hr continen

Posted Images

I was thinking of doing the same thing on my motorbike as the weather is so great at the moment and you can’t get more self-isolated than on a bike! However, I agree with the above - follow the rules! Don’t do it.

Me too on the motorbike thought, nothing better to cheer up than a blast on the fantastic roads around here, but sadly it's just not on :(

11 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

“you might break down”? Seriously? In a Lotus?

i realise that is stretching ones imagination a little

construction and property consultants : My company

11 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

“you might break down”? Seriously? In a Lotus?

No chance of that happening to you

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Of course you can go out for a drive if you are not going to stop and get out anywhere, unless shopping.  If you need petrol, stop at a [email protected] garage and use wipes/sanitizer afterwards. If you think your car will break down, then don't go out. If you think you might have an accident make sure you have clean underwear. 

I went out for a blast yesterday, sunshine and empty roads. What a tonic for these awful times.

Oh, and if you have a soft top, best leave it up so as not to upset the jealous/miserable/killjoys.  In the Evora this is  not an issue. 😋

My Excel is in a lock-up, 5 minutes' walk from my house.  If I want to go and work on it, can I class the walk to and from the garage as my daily exercise?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• Gold FFM

Gonna fire up the Evora later and run her upto temp on the drive.

maybe I’ll even do a donut before turning her off and returning to the wife’s to do list

• Haha 2

Only here once

11 hours ago, pete said:

No chance of that happening to you

Let's see now...…………….cylinder head, crankshaft and all the other rotating bits and bobs still sat at Connaught Engines, no sign of any main bearing shells, and the gearbox in bits.

You may well be correct in your assumption.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

1 hour ago, PhilW said:

Im sorry but that is the most irresponsible thing Ive read.  We have been asked to stay at home to save lives.  If you have a serious accident you'll need the ambulance service who are stretched currently beyond belief.  If you break down you will require assistance of some sort, which puts yourself and others at risk.   If you had any consideration for the essential workers, especially the NHS you would reconsider your actions.  You are the exact reason why this situation  will go on longer than is necessary.  People doing what you are doing should be arrested and housed on an army camp under armed guard.  Once they have a couple of thousand idiots housed people might realise what STAY AT HOME means.  No apology on this occasion for my opinon.  Beggers belief.

As far as I can interpret the vague govt. measures,  we should be avoiding  social contact. The "STAY IN YOUR HOMES" message is aimed at those who still think it is ok to wander around aimlessly, congregate, or have barbecues in the street. Martial law/total lockdown has not yet been declared. On Tuesday I heard some adviser on WATO say that it was ok to drive out to somewhere in order to take your one piece of daily exercise, so if I go out for a blast and stop and have a walk, then that is ok. With regards accidents/breakdowns,  if I stay at home should I not use any gardening machinery or not do any work off ladders, just in case?

I am a key worker and still drive considerable distances daily. If the  only way I  can get to drive my Evora is  to use it for work, then I shall get my insurance adjusted accordingly for business use. Therefore I should not be locked up under armed guard. 

Is that ok with you?

12 hours ago, Redwing said:

I went out for a blast yesterday, sunshine and empty roads. What a tonic for these awful times.

Not mentioning getting out and going for a walk.  Go for a f****** walk near your home without getting in your car

image.png.1b0aa9e0dc2940b01edde74b15af1e97.png

If you are a key worker I would have thought you would be maybe more aware of the severity of the situation and would have more sense.  Clearly not.  And no from a personal point of view its not OK with me and if I had a choice you would be arrested and locked up for floating the request by the government.  Can you not see the stupidity of not staying at home when as a key worker you are not travelling to or from work.  The government have taken over the Excel center and are putting in 4000 beds, similar at the NEC and  more to come and yet going for a lovely drive you think is acceptable.  Maybe when a member of your family or a friend is on a ventilator or worse it might sink in, but from what Ive read I doubt it.

Lost for words

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Redwing said:

The "STAY IN YOUR HOMES" message is aimed at those who still think it is ok to wander around aimlessly, congregate, or have barbecues in the street.

No

It's aimed at everyone... particularly the ones like yourself that seem to think "oh that doesn't apply to me because XYZ"

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM
11 minutes ago, Mister_Tad said:

No

It's aimed at everyone... particularly the ones like yourself that seem to think "oh that doesn't apply to me because XYZ"

I take it everyone saw the scene in Coventry yesterday where people decided it was Ok to organise a street BBQ where everyone, young and old got together to laugh, sing, drink and eat with NO social distancing etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-52025918

The "offenders" even had the audacity to argue that they were entitled to hold the BBQ with the Police, only to disperse when the police lost their patience and physically kicked over the BBQ.  It is just plain and simple entightled fookwittery from people I would actually not lose any sleep over if they succumb to the virus. If they don't give a shit why should the rest of us give a shit about them?

However, I am pissed off at the Police. In all the pictures I am seeing of them interacting with the public, and not at 2 metres distance either with the public or other offices I am not seeing them wearing masks or gloves. What's that all about then?

Same with the pictures of the police in spain, france, italy - seems they feel they are super immune or something.

9 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

It's quite clear we need to stay at home unless absolutely necessary.  Cukup cetha kita kudu tetep ing omah kajaba pancen perlu. Yen sampeyan butuh panganan banjur coba pesen online yen ora bisa, banjur mlebu menyang toko supaya entuk sawetara. yen sampeyan kudu kerja, banjur langkahake bisa mlaku saka omah. yen ora bisa lan sampeyan kudu bisa makarya banjur bisa lelungan. etc ...

@electro_boy. As a public community service I've translated your words into Javanese as there seems to be a lot of total muppets who don't understand plain english, in an attempt to communicate at another level in the hope they will understand.  I did try to do it in the "beeps and lights" language used in the film "Close encounters...." but Google translate said "no".

• Haha 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

3 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Gonna fire up the Evora later and run her upto temp on the drive.

maybe I’ll even do a donut before turning her off and returning to the wife’s to do list

Don't forget to make driving noises as you sit in it.

• Gold FFM
5 minutes ago, andydclements said:

Don't forget to make driving noises as you sit in it.

He's so old he ain't making driving noises, that's him just bubbling away relaxed in his world of fairy chickens.....! Bless.....  :)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!