free hit
counters
Car SOS - Thursday 26th March - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content


Car SOS - Thursday 26th March


Bibs

Recommended Posts


Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just me or anyone else a little disappointed with the end result?

Front suspension set up looked too high; interior retrim used wrong coloured cloth and carpets along with the tartan; weird black non standard 1970s BL wing mirrors; repainted the front spoiler from white to black; used Webber carbs instead of Dellortos (although I accept they’re tricky to get hold of); kept the S2 side stripes + what they did to the dashboard might have been super clever but was sacrilege IMHO! Maybe I’m just too much of a purist and am being pedantic though?!

And very disappointed to see the Turbo break down too! 😱

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing wrong with a black front spoiler 😆

TBH I'm not surprised. I've seen many professional restorations that are let down in ways. Usually very minor.

TV stuff by their very nature cut corners and do trick things to make the programmes interesting to viewers. Not owners or enthusiasts of purity.

I haven't seen it as don't have National Pornagrahic Channel. Which is a shame as I have an S1 and sold films to the channel back in the early 2000's. In fact was on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What @Lotusfab says. Spot on.

Apart from:

Windscreen surround. Doesn't have to take weeks. 1/2 a day with an experienced fitter who knows his classic car onions, with a previous half a day of me pre-shaping the trim etc.

However, ..... It did take me 10 man-days of faff to fit the waistline trim. That stuff does not go on easily!!! I documented every step. I could have a timesheet somewhere.... It was that much of a job.

Did they remove the roof capping rails and renew the foil strips? They too me a whole afternoon of chow. Nerve racking work if ballsed up.

Unfortunately I don't have the channel being a TNG. I'll have to wait until they're on More 4 etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, PhilW said:

National Geographic

Thanks Phil. How do I get National Geographic? NG is available via Disney+ (long story, don't ask) but only picking up previous programs. 

Not sure what TNG @Fridge means - The Next Generation?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Fridge said:

What @Lotusfab says. Spot on.

Apart from:

Windscreen surround. Doesn't have to take weeks. 1/2 a day with an experienced fitter who knows his classic car onions, with a previous half a day of me pre-shaping the trim etc.

However, ..... It did take me 10 man-days of faff to fit the waistline trim. That stuff does not go on easily!!! I documented every step. I could have a timesheet somewhere.... It was that much of a job.

Did they remove the roof capping rails and renew the foil strips? They too me a whole afternoon of chow. Nerve racking work if ballsed up.

Unfortunately I don't have the channel being a TNG. I'll have to wait until they're on More 4 etc.

When I did the windscreen I discovered through trial and error the,position  and thickness of the rubber blocks is critcal. If they arn't absolutely correct the thickness of the sealant varires around the frame. This results in gaps in some places and sealant squeezing out into the dash, underneath onto the body or in the groove between the body and the screen. If this has happened because the blocks were not correct you have a vey difficult and time comsuming task ahead. It will take ages to remove the excess sealant. The next problem is the metal trim wont fit because of the sealant that has squeezed into the gap. If this has happened on the inside the interior trim wont fit properly. The other critical issue is the fixing height of the screen. If its not absolutely perfect the upper metal trim doesnt sit correctly and the blend with the roof line is poor. Most people don't notice this sort of stuff. Having spent years doing all this I now notice immediately all the imperfections. Im not saying my cars are perfect because they certainly aren't,  but they are the best I can do given unlimited time an effort. Most fitter will never hve fitted an S1 screen and it comes with its own set of issues you can only appreciate having installed one and finsihed the metal trim. The windscreen fit from the factory was pretty poor having seen a lot of original examples.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bazza 907 said:

Thanks Phil. How do I get National Geographic? NG is available via Disney+ (long story, don't ask) but only picking up previous programs. 

Not sure what TNG @Fridge means - The Next Generation?

Barrie, Not sure to be honest.  I dont have sky. Just a firestick .  I watched it on my sons tablet which he somehow has connected to his Grandmothers sky.  I dont really know how this works as it doesnt really interest me.  Dont watch enough telly to justify the costs of all these services.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am pleased with the compliment that Mike Kimberley once gave to my car when he said the waistline trim, windscreen and capping rails are better than they managed at the factory.

But cant take any credit! All down to Surface & Design in Blackpool.

So much on the Esprit requires specific skills and a standard bodyshop (or engine builder for that matter) will have trouble getting it right.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

None of those issues on mine @Lotusfab so don't judge others efforts or skills by your own experiences.

But saying that, you know I was bricking it prior to me fitting mine. And I read your blog 3x over and DM'd you also. 

However the front and rear glass weren't that bad to fit in the end with a bit of research and patience.

7 minutes ago, PhilW said:

Barrie, Not sure to be honest.  I dont have sky. Just a firestick .  I watched it on my sons tablet which he somehow has connected to his Grandmothers sky.  I dont really know how this works as it doesnt really interest me.  Dont watch enough telly to justify the costs of all these services.

@Bazza 907 TNG = Tight Northern Git.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Fridge said:

 

Tight Northern Git.

Except I was born in Cambridge and live in Suffolk.😀  You need some geography lessons but you are right!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PhilW said:

Except I was born in Cambridge and live in Suffolk.😀  You need some geography lessons but you are right!!

Hey, there is only one TNG here. And that's me. Thought I can bestow you as an honorary one if you like.

I don't pay for these fancy suthon TV channels. (Just sometimes provide material for them)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Fridge said:

None of those issues on mine @Lotusfab so don't judge others efforts or skills by your own experiences.

But saying that, you know I was bricking it prior to me fitting mine. And I read your blog 3x over and DM'd you also. 

However the front and rear glass weren't that bad to fit in the end with a but of research and patience.

You must have got Lucky. Both of the screens on my cars had exactly the same issues. The second was quicker to fit but still took ages. The test is when you come to fit the metal trim. I've seen lots where there is a gap behind the upper metal trim piece because the screen height is wrong. Sometimes this has been filled with sealant. If done correctly there should be no gap just body to aluminium strip and it should fit perfectly. I found it takes ages to find this position by adjusting the position thickness of rubber blocks and screen height. Everytime its adjusted all the trim must be tested for the correct fit. Note the upper strip herewhere it touches the body at the roof. This is what took so long to achieve. I have seen a recent professionally installed screen. It was awful and I would have been very upset if it was my car. No doubt it didnt take very long!IMG_1156.thumb.PNG.c373ec6455c6eb31f6a4c168ba92e895.PNGou can keep doing this procedure for ages, depending how fussy you are. When the position is found markers have to be placed around the screen so when its lowered with sealant it goes in exactly the same place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Thought I can bestow you as an honorary one if you like.

 

The honorary title is accepted.  I know many that will agree with you!!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Lotusfab skillful, not lucky. Give me that!

The rubber block cutting, as I had but didn't use the SJ supplied ones, was easy. The trim shaping just fiddly, but not difficult.

Though I had assistance to actually fit the glass. He calmed my nerves at that point. As I have no experience big bonding car windscreens. My others have been rubber surrounds.

I believe in calling in the experts when required. There are no prizes for giving yourself grief!
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Andyww said:

Do we know which dry sump Tim Shaw owns, is it on the register?

It’s reg was YBJ 29X - white with black leather (clearly retrimmed)  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...