free hit
counters
Speedo cable and dashboard - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi everyone, 

The speedometer on my Eclat does not work. I suspect it's just disconnected from the dashboard . Or at least that's what I want to check first!

But I'm struggling to understand how to dismantle the instrument console; I can't see any screws :(

I checked a number of similar topics on the forum, but could not make sense of it.

Would anyone be able to give a few hints or share a link?

Thank you  very much!

Bernard

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The flat black plastic instrument "nacelle" is held on with velcro-like pads.  Gently pull it off to reveal all the fixings.

Pete

1 hour ago, EXCEL V8 said:

The flat black plastic instrument "nacelle" is held on with velcro-like pads.  Gently pull it off to reveal all the fixings.

Pete

Those, like me, approaching their second childhood might remember these fixings as stickle bricks!

Colin Chapman would have been delighted you couldn't see any screws! Apparently he banned any exposed screws from the dash.

Richard

• Like 1

You can access the speedo cable from underneath the dash rather than having to disconnect everything. My speedo cable is a' push fit' so when fitting it you just push it onto the back of the speedo dial. To take it off you squeeze the plastic 'lever' and it just comes off. 

Inkedspeedo_LI.jpg

• Like 1

looks like I've been beaten to it again. As above...……..I couldn't have put it better myself.  

Thank you all! I'll have a look tonight. I had tried to look underneath, but failed to locate the cable. 

Partial update : with your inputs; I could easily get to the screws. Thanks! The cable was indeed disconnected. 

I probably spent one hour trying to hold the instrument console with one hand, leaving a 5cm gap to grab the cable and try to attach it back to the speedometer with the other hand...

I might have succeeded; but couldn't hear any "click"...Not sure it'll work; and will only be able to test it tomorrow. 

Cheers1

• Like 1

Oh well.... Didn't work. Will try again next time, maybe by removing the steering wheel to see if it can give me some more space to reach the cable... 

Can you see the cable fitting? Is it the push fit one? What year is your car? The early ones did have a different fitting but Im not sure how they connected.

Yes, I was able to see the cable fitting. It's indeed like the picture you shared earlier.

But I found it difficult to connect it to the back of the speedometer!, primarily because the cable is short and the space to manipulate it was super limited.

The fitting was also not exactly "straight", which probably doesn't help: the cable was not in the center of the fitting. I managed to straighten it, though...

As I said yesterday, I was not able to push hard, and couldn't ensure it was properly engaged. 

Will give it another go. 

I have a new cable with me, but replacing it is quite clearly beyond my abilities :)

Update of the day : removing the steering wheel greatly helped, and I was able to reconnect the cable.

Took the car for for a good ride today. The speedo finally works! Well, sort of : the needle oscillates/bounces quite a lot at low speed, but then it's stable from 30kmh onwards.

Would you know what could be the problem at low speed?

Thanks!

Sometimes it is just a matter of the routing of the cable. When it has a smooth curve to follow it cures sometimes the symptoms. In other cases the speedo gear has to much play

Mines been like that for the last 25 years!! :cry: I was told a long time ago that there was something worn in the speedo gear.  I really must get round to having a look at it! Perhaps now when I've got as bit of time on my hands!! 

Thank you! You make feel better about it :) for the time being, I'll just admit it as a standard feature... these cars are not meant to be driven below 30kmh anyway! 

• Like 1