free hit
counters
Air box attached to carbs. - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Doris the dog

Air box attached to carbs.

Hi again, I have a carbon fibre air box , is it bolted to the carbs by itself or is it sandwiched by these. See photo. 

Regards

88DBE1E2-4C68-4EF6-A14C-92C016AA6C6E.jpeg

D03956FB-42C5-4541-B641-A0CD44D447B2.thumb.jpeg.873aa59381aa3c241bc34920a658441b.jpeg

Tony 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

you use the carb trumpets to secure the air box via the nuts and bolts. The air box is sandwiched between the carb and the trumpets. 

• Like 1

My best advice is, get the outer trumpet on first by getting one nut to start, then get the second nut on, tighten both, then do the opposite outer trumpet in a similar fashion, then repeat with inner trumpets.  I have fairly large hands, so perhaps others don't have the same problem with access, but there's not a lot of room and being able to move the trumpet when attempting to get the second nut on can help (else the flared edge gets in the way of the nut going on the stud).

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, need to get longer bolts for top fixing of the trumpets to air box. 

Next to sort fuel lines to carbs. 

Tony 

I use a 1/4" socket set with an extension to do the nuts up. To hold the nut into the socket use a bit of blue tack or jam the nut with a bit of paper you can feed the nut onto the stud/bolt without having to try and get your fingers into the box.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Doris the dog said:

I have a carbon fibre air box

Hi , I doubt it is carbon fibre, just standard glas fibre, with insulation layer on the outside.

Neil

20 hours ago, andydclements said:

It's studs & nuts rather than bolts.

On mine it’s studs on bottom flange and bolts across the tops  

1 hour ago, Neil D. said:

Hi , I doubt it is carbon fibre, just standard glas fibre, with insulation layer on the outside.

Neil

Hi Neil is this what you mean? 

86B98D84-D24A-49F9-9D88-16EF95A6A186.jpeg

• Like 1

Tony 

On 26/03/2020 at 19:39, Doris the dog said:

On mine it’s studs on bottom flange and bolts across the tops  

Hi Neil is this what you mean? 

86B98D84-D24A-49F9-9D88-16EF95A6A186.jpeg

Ooops, I stand corrected...time for new specs.  However I do not understand using CF for the airbox. It does not save much weight, and is not structural.

Still, nice box

N.

• Like 1

Hi to all, both my cars are studs on the bottom and nuts & bolts on the top. I guess FG as Lotus had loads if it and very cheap to make.

John

Thanks John.  
Next problem I’ve just had the engine running and noticed small oil leak below distributor. Looking closer there is a gap as if dizzy is not fully seated down.  The clamp appears to be clamping at an angle.  
can this just be pushed home ?   You may just see in the photo. Gap between yellow pen marks 

2EA6A698-FFEF-4543-B6AC-97DA93D1D34C.jpeg

Tony 

Don't whatever you do, let the spring push the dissy out fully, it's a PITA to get back in. You should be able to just push it back in (suggest having a lever to be able to ensure it doesn't come further out as you undo the clamp),  possible reason for not being able to push back in could be spring got trapped in previous adjustment.  When I suggest having a lever, I'm not advocating levering against the dissy cap, just find somewhere that's cast ali and will not simply turn and let the thing be pushed out further. It doesn't need a lot of force, but a lever sometimes gives you a better idea of when it's starting to move by the fact the lever can multiply the movement.

Hi Andy , thanks for your information. Downside is the dizzy is out 😔 I had already attempted to push in by hand it was out about 5 mm.  It would not go in , so removed it to see if there was any damage on the end.  As I had just had the engine running before I noticed small oil pool sitting on the block below dizzy. 
Tomorrow will try a little bit of leverage.  
Regards

Tony

ps. Have posted twice but gone into the ether 

Edited by Doris the dog

Tony 

Ah, and "Oh deary deary me, that's somewhat annoying" probably spring to mind. Might be worth pulling the long spring as it may be the cause of the 5mm.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2020 at 19:52, andydclements said:

Ah, and "Oh deary deary me, that's somewhat annoying" probably spring to mind. Might be worth pulling the long spring as it may be the cause of the 5mm.

Hi Andy , dizzy all back to where it should be. Thanks for your advice. 
regards

Tony

Tony