free hit
counters
Removing and Replacing Driverside Fuel Tank - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
smikey

Removing and Replacing Driverside Fuel Tank

Hello.  I recently purchased new aluminum fuel tanks for my 1989 Esprit Turbo USA.  I successfully removed and replaced the passenger side (right side) tank and fuel pump without removing or lowering the engine.  I have not yet removed the driver side (left side) tank and fuel sender.  I believe removal and replacement of the driver side tank will be more difficult since there is less room between the tank and the engine.  Are there any good (comprehensive) forum posts on how to remove the driver side fuel tank?  Are there any good posts on how to lower or remove the engine as needed to create room to install the new fuel tank?  Thank you.  

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You haven't considered removing the drivetrain? 🥴 Are you afraid of Shipwright's Disease?

Shipwrights' disease?

Goes something like this:

Sailor owns boat.
Boat has burned out light in galley.
Sailor decides to change bulb.
Sailor notices socket is corroded, decides to change socket.
Sailor notices wiring frayed while trying to change socket.
Sailor decides to change wiring.
Sailor notices galley ceiling slats are rotted while changing the wire.
Sailor decides galley ceiling slats need changing.
Sailor notices ...

this goes on and on and on and on and pretty soon, Sailor is undertaking a
major renovation of his boat because of a burned out lightbulb.

You can remove the left side engine mounts (while loosening the right side) to let the engine drop down. That MIGHT give you enough room.

Some poor souls have needed to remove the intake cam carrier.

Others have gotten around this by trimming the body sail panel on the left side instead.

The last possibility is to lift the body off the frame.

Edited by CarBuff

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

On 28/03/2020 at 08:16, smikey said:

Hello.  I recently purchased new aluminum fuel tanks for my 1989 Esprit Turbo USA.  I successfully removed and replaced the passenger side (right side) tank and fuel pump without removing or lowering the engine.  I have not yet removed the driver side (left side) tank and fuel sender.  I believe removal and replacement of the driver side tank will be more difficult since there is less room between the tank and the engine.  Are there any good (comprehensive) forum posts on how to remove the driver side fuel tank?  Are there any good posts on how to lower or remove the engine as needed to create room to install the new fuel tank?  Thank you.  

Useful tank threads, enjoy

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/94725-passenger-side-fuel-tank-grrrrrrr/?tab=comments#comment-777262

https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/x180-esprit-turbo-fuel-tanks-diy.265762/

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/90390-stainless-steel-esprit-fuel-tanks/?tab=comments#comment-742862

• Like 1

Removing the engine mount and dropping the engine down is the method I used. There is literal just enough clearance to get the tank out. It’s a horrible job.

I would strongly advise removing the the engine. It makes the job so much easy. With the engine out you should capitalize on doing whole bunch of preventative maintenance that is much more accessible.

Cheers, Gavin