free hit
counters
Carrier strip for waist line trim? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi! 

Newbie question again... The waist line trim on my car is in a bad shape at the front of the car, and it came off on the right-hand side, front wheel arch. 

So I'm considering getting a new roll. 

Looking at sjsportscar, I'm surprised to see the carrier is only mentioned for the doors. 

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/B076U1143F.htm

What about the rest of the body? 

On my car, it looks like there's a wooden (?) carrier above the wheel arch, with small screws that tie it to the body. Is it standard? 

Thanks once again! 

20200328_184109.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On cars that use a carrier strip on the doors the rest of the bodywork has a raised lip at the joint between the top and bottom body halves that the trim (channel-shaped) glues over.  On all early car

Thank you so much for your inputs. I did a detailed inspection. I can see the "lip" around most of the car...except beyond the front-right wheel arch; and the right half of the bonnet!  I went th

The installation notes on the SJ sportscar website are worth reading  They seem to suggest pre-fitting using a hot air gun and masking tape to get the trip to the correct shape. Then waiting over

Posted Images

On cars that use a carrier strip on the doors the rest of the bodywork has a raised lip at the joint between the top and bottom body halves that the trim (channel-shaped) glues over.  On all early cars the trim is flat and glued directly to the flattened joint between the body halves, including the doors.  Either your car is early and someone has fitted the later trim by fixing a wooden strip to the body, or the raised bead on a later car has been ground off at some point.

Pete

• Like 1

My Elite has had a new genuine Lotus mid front repair panel fitted at some stage and this had no raised lip, so a carrier strip was fitted.

So could be a replacement panel?

3 hours ago, BernardSG said:

Hi both, 

Thank you for your replies! Is it possible to distinguish the models with the raised lips vs the flat ones without removing the trim?

Thanks! 

Bernard 

Bernard,

The whole  body has a lip. The top half of the shell is bonded to the bottom half, and this creates the "lip".

The door outer shell is a signle sheet of GRP, so a carrier is rivetted to the doos skin, this allows the trim strip to be fitted.

In the 80's many car had the "lip" ground away, with sometimes catastophic results, as the top and bottom halfs are not bonded together as strongly.

hope this helps

Neil

ake a look at the top half of an Esprit

Lotus_Turbo_Esprit_Vari_Body_Shell.jpg

The trim on the early cars - without the lip - is wider and flatter - it is "chrome" on either side of a black middle.  The lip was removed in the factory and filled/sanded prior to spraying.  It was such a time-consuming job that later cars retained the lip and had a black U-shaped trim bonded over it.  If you can't find any google pictures of the early trim let us know - mines in the loft - I can take a photo of it so you can see the difference.

Pete

Edited by EXCEL V8

Thank you so much for your inputs. I did a detailed inspection. I can see the "lip" around most of the car...except beyond the front-right wheel arch; and the right half of the bonnet! 

I went through all the bills given by the previous owner and found a proof in the form of a 1987 invoice (see image below)! Paul's assumption was correct.

So now I know. I'll need to buy a few meters of  waist trim; plus a few units of the "carrier" to cover the front-right ...Not an immediate project though.

Cheers, and thank you all!

accident.jpg

• Like 1

Bernard,

I got hold of a sheet polycarbonate supplier who cut the 6mm sheets into 6mm strips for me.

Much cheaper than buying the actual strips, especially if you can get them locally, with the benefit of their being more flexible and un-drilled so you can choose where to put the fixing points.

May help if you’re working around any curves. You might also be able to do it in a single run?

they’re fixed with special countersunk head rivets available from SJ sportscars

Hi Dave, 

I'm confused : you used it as a replacement for the carrier? 

As for doing it in a single run, is the material very flexible? could it follow the angle between the front and the side of the car?

I have to check for local suppliers...

Thanks!

Bernard

Exactly Bernard, although I actually only did the door section on my Esprit.

Im sure it would flex/heat bend around any wheel arch profile, but if you mean bend around the corner, I’m not sure...Yo can heat it as it’s a thermoset type of plastic iirc, and it will take the new form once cooled, so that might be a way of getting round any tight sections.

if you can get 1/4” (or 6mm) square polycarbonate bar locally it will even save the cutting...

I’ll see if I have any pics..

I've heard of people using a hair dryer to warm the plastic strip, bend it appropriately, and then hold it in place with masking tape. Leave it over night to cool and set into the right shape, then remove the masking tape and stick it on with glue.

I've not done this myself!

The installation notes on the SJ sportscar website are worth reading 

They seem to suggest pre-fitting using a hot air gun and masking tape to get the trip to the correct shape. Then waiting overnight and fixing once the sections are set in shape

R

ps great looks car

• Like 1