free hit
counters
Brakes sticking after wash - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Brakes sticking after wash

Hi All

Common issue I keep encountering with my Exige is the brake pads sticking to the dics after a wash. Recently, I had to really rev the car to move it, which in a tight garage isnt ideal. Also the left released before the right, meaning the right dragged along the garage floor.

Just this week, I spent a few hours washing and detailing the car. Normally I would put the car away without paying any attenton to the dics or pads. However this time, I used a hairdryer and a leaf blower to dry the pads out before putting the car away. 4 days later, I have just checked the state of the dics, and they have rusted again, and I am sure will stick again when I try to drive the car next (lockdown pending!)

Whilst I fully appreciate this is normal. I want to try and find a way of preventing this. Does anyone have any advice or tips? 

One thing I have looked at is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163954850486 a rust stopper. Has anyone tried this method and was it a) just after washing whilst the disc is clean b) applying when the brakes have already rusted and allow them to realise easier?

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated

Tom

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Same here if I put it away wet. Try leaving handbrake off and every other day start the engine and rock the car back and forth,if you can just drive in and out of the garage

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

2 minutes ago, philcool said:

Just drive it round the block and dry the brakes off messing about with hair dryers and leaf blowers wash it and drive 

Yes but driving it around the block after a wash and dry risks getting muck on the car. Which I don’t want as I put a cover on it 

4 hours ago, R300XXX said:

Take for a short drive after drying car off and put some temperature in the brakes, only way I’ve found to solve issue

I don’t really want to do that as if it’s get dirty again ? I keep it with a cover on when clean 

It’s a tricky one this. I like to cover my car up after a wash when it’s dust free but the only way for me to dry the brakes is to take it slowly round the block, clutch fully out with left foot braking whilst on the accelerator. It does the trick and ensures discs remain rust free with no sticking pads. A quick spray on the bodywork with some Bouncer’s Done n Dusted and light wipe then cover on. 

Wash dry quick trip not to far only round the block and wipe over if necessary when you get back .

I know everyone's different but to be honest I've received way more damage to the paintwork driving than I will ever receive fitting the cover after a quick trip round the block 

20170417_172634.jpg

20170916_100129.jpg

P&S break buster used as a wheel cleaner has built in rust inhibitors and significantly reduces the sticking. 
Generally I don’t use wheel cleaner,  but most cause greater sticking than normal soap and heavy rinsing. So make sure you are rinsing heavily, without it the brake dust forms an emulsion with the detergent and bridges the gap. 

Also use an air line to blow the brakes out, hairdryer would have little effect. Heated car dryer next best thing to air line

• Gold FFM
17 hours ago, Exige_Tom said:

Thought about moving it every few days, however, I read that starting the engine for a short amount of time regularely isnt good for it? 

You are absolutely right about not wanting to start the engine for a short time without good reason. But you can easily move the car back and forth a bit manually. You want to prevent the pads from being in the same spot on the disc for long enough to rust solid. I had a customer who worked overseas. Every time he got home, he would move his Spitfire 1-2ft or so, and even after 4 years the brakes were still fine.

I would be careful spraying stuff on the discs. You don't want it to leave a film and affect breaking performance. After all, a Lotus is meant to perform when driven, not just look good and shiny. 😉

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Thank you all for the advice and tips! I’ve bought  some P&S break duster so I’ll see how that goes next time I wash the car.

I went out to the car last night (with the Mrs in the driving seat) pushed the car back and fore a few times. The car moved (woohoo) meaning that blowing the breaks out after wash must of worked a little bit. The disks do look rusty, but nothing that a)will lock me in place , and b) will wear off after a few miles driving! 

On 30/03/2020 at 07:57, Escape said:

You are absolutely right about not wanting to start the engine for a short time without good reason. But you can easily move the car back and forth a bit manually. You want to prevent the pads from being in the same spot on the disc for long enough to rust solid. I had a customer who worked overseas. Every time he got home, he would move his Spitfire 1-2ft or so, and even after 4 years the brakes were still fine.

I would be careful spraying stuff on the discs. You don't want it to leave a film and affect breaking performance. After all, a Lotus is meant to perform when driven, not just look good and shiny. 😉

Filip

Very true! But dam they look good when shiny 🥰

On 29/03/2020 at 19:16, Karls said:

It’s a tricky one this. I like to cover my car up after a wash when it’s dust free but the only way for me to dry the brakes is to take it slowly round the block, clutch fully out with left foot braking whilst on the accelerator. It does the trick and ensures discs remain rust free with no sticking pads. A quick spray on the bodywork with some Bouncer’s Done n Dusted and light wipe then cover on. 

Thanks . I’ve bought some break dust repelant stuff (I’ll try that first) if that doesn’t work I’ll do a lap of the estate, clean the brakes off and then serial before cover . Cheers