free hit
counters
Esprit x180 Lockout - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi,

I have a 1990 esprit X180 and the central locking has decided it doesn't wanna work. I also found out that I haven't got a key for the door locks. (i found both of these things out at 4 am when the alarm started going off and I was unable to switch it off or get into the car...... i think my neighbours hate me. The battery is charged so I'm hoping it's just a fuse! Does anyone know of a way I can open the front bonnet to change the fuse, or a way of getting into the passenger compartment without causing damage?

Thanks

James

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why does everyone (including me) always think it's a fuse when it very rarely is, a battery is only charged until it isn't, if you can get under the car try a 12v jumper from a good battery to a live

• Gold FFM

The ignition key should work in the doorlocks as welL Unless either one has been replaced by a PO...

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I’m sure you have probably checked this already but are both doors locked and have you changed the remotes battery? I’ve had issues getting in to the drivers side on mine which ended up being the rod popping off the lock. Passenger side was fine though. Just trying to think of an easy out. Failing that I think your best bet would be to try and break in to it using a wire or hook to try and unlock One door from the inside. I suspect that there would be flex in the door frame and room to get something in through the door seals (even if you  damage then and ended up having to replace the seals afterwards).

Good luck

If you haven't used those door keys in a while they may well be gummed or seized up. a gentle wiggle, turn and patience may be all that's needed. A small amount of WD or similar may help but make sure you blow it out with compressed air at a later date or it will just attract further crud in future.

If all else fails any good locksmith should be able to spring the 1980s locks fairly quickly.

Hi Guys, 

Thanks for the responses

I thought the ignition key must have been changed at one point and the door keys thrown away, but according to the handbook the esprits were made with different door and ignition keys for "added security". I'm awaiting a reply from the previous owner. 

Both the doors are locked, and the alarm light isn't flashing.  I've managed to get a wedge in at the top of the door and i've tried to push the unlocking latch with a coat hanger, but it has too much flex to push it. I've now ordered a lockout kit from amazon as most of the locksmiths seem to only be available for emergency call out only due to the virus. I was hoping someone knew of an easy way in before i had to go down that route. 

Thanks

James

• Gold FFM

On my '89 SE the keys are different, with the ignition key being larger, but it does work in the door locks. In my previous '90 SE the door locks were changed, so I never got to test the theory. I do know some keys from others cars work as well... I wont post the specifics on the web of course.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

On 30/03/2020 at 16:12, gingerjimi said:

Hi Guys, 

Thanks for the responses

I thought the ignition key must have been changed at one point and the door keys thrown away, but according to the handbook the esprits were made with different door and ignition keys for "added security". I'm awaiting a reply from the previous owner. 

Both the doors are locked, and the alarm light isn't flashing.  I've managed to get a wedge in at the top of the door and i've tried to push the unlocking latch with a coat hanger, but it has too much flex to push it. I've now ordered a lockout kit from amazon as most of the locksmiths seem to only be available for emergency call out only due to the virus. I was hoping someone knew of an easy way in before i had to go down that route. 

Thanks

James

Have you tried unlocking the door on the other side of the car from where the wedge is? Maybe a broom handle or similar might do it...(i don’t  know what sort of unlock mechanism it uses though)

Why does everyone (including me) always think it's a fuse when it very rarely is, a battery is only charged until it isn't, if you can get under the car try a 12v jumper from a good battery to a live battery (alternator/starter) lead, earth to block and try the fob again.

• Like 2

Hi Steve, 

This was the first thing i did, as this is what had happened a couple of months ago. This time it didn't work though (and i also tested the connection with a voltmeter, tried two different battery charges, a boost pack and jump leads onto some battery charger leads i had cut off). However, I have now managed to unlock the car with a lockout kit (without any damage that i have spotted yet), and found that the battery was flat and everything now works as it should. I am now leaving the battery disconnected till i can get a battery conditioner.

Cheers for the help :)

James