free hit
counters
Lotus Esprit S3 Turbo Project - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
James.007

Lotus Esprit S3 Turbo Project

Recommended Posts

I finally bought my dream car, unfortunately it is a major project and at present isn't much to look at. The car has no engine and gearbox so I am after some ideas on what engine and gearbox I could use, I do not want to go down the lines of a V8 as I want to keep the car as light as possible, ideally a British engine. Gearbox I am looking at an Audi 01X unit as it is readily available and has been used for other esprit gearbox swaps. I want to use the original wheels so will be an engineering challenge and budget is also limited.

Attached are a few pictures which maybe of interest of its current condition.

IMG_20200208_125640_resized_20200402_020047940.jpg

IMG_20200208_134850_resized_20200402_020046530.jpg

IMG_20200208_155239_resized_20200402_020045198.jpg

IMG_20200208_135004_resized_20200402_020311765.jpg

IMG_20200208_134906_resized_20200402_020047336.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wow, looks like a good base but loads of work and costly to build with all the missing parts.

We look forward to progress, I’ve seen quite a few bits like the turbo tail come up on eBay recently so be patient.

Dave :) 


Do or do not, there is no try! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome. Yep looks like lots of bits needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Wow, looks like a good base but loads of work and costly to build with all the missing parts.

We look forward to progress, I’ve seen quite a few bits like the turbo tail come up on eBay recently so be patient.

Dave :) 

Hi Dave,

Yes there is lots of work and not having a garage will hinder progress.  It does seem as soon as you say esprit the price goes up.

I will update as the build progresses.

James

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Welcome. Yep looks like lots of bits needed.

I would say so, well it did help buying the wing mirrors off you.

I have managed to get quite a few panels now, just need the front bumper and rear hatch/boot with louver panel and the sunroof.

You don't happen to know what car the door lock barrels came off?  I want to get the doors on and make it as secure as possible, not that it can be driven away anytime soon.

James

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's to stop someone just hitching it up and toeing it away? I'd be shitting myself about losing her left like that.

 

Good luck with the build, looking forward to seeing the pictures of her running again.


Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James, this thread may be of interest to you

 

 

Elsewhere on here is a whole bunch of stuff about a poster called Hilly and a V8 conversion he did on an S3. I think this is the main thread about the project.

 


Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

What's to stop someone just hitching it up and toeing it away? I'd be shitting myself about losing her left like that.

 

Good luck with the build, looking forward to seeing the pictures of her running again.

I do worry about her but i box her in with my other cars at night.

Cheers, I will keep posting updates when I have the time to work on her. It cant wait to get her on the road.

James 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glass roof here 

 


hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Choppa said:

James, this thread may be of interest to you

 

 

Elsewhere on here is a whole bunch of stuff about a poster called Hilly and a V8 conversion he did on an S3. I think this is the main thread about the project.

 

Many thanks, lots to think about, I suppose its a case of trial and error .

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James.007 said:

I would say so, well it did help buying the wing mirrors off you.

I have managed to get quite a few panels now, just need the front bumper and rear hatch/boot with louver panel and the sunroof.

You don't happen to know what car the door lock barrels came off?  I want to get the doors on and make it as secure as possible, not that it can be driven away anytime soon.

James

 

You can buy them from S and J. Morris Marina handles - maybe barrels are British Leyland? I saw a tailgate somewhere on here. Put an advert on someone may have one for a reasonable price. What panels have you got?

I know someone who has a set of  BBS wheels. Could ask him if he wants to sell if your interested?

I also saw the light pods on ebay.

Oh and the rear spoiler!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

You can buy them from S and J. Morris Marina handles - maybe barrels are British Leyland? I saw a tailgate somewhere on here. Put an advert on someone may have one for a reasonable price. What panels have you got?

I know someone who has a set of  BBS wheels. Could ask him if he wants to sell if your interested?

I also saw the light pods on ebay.

Ok, Ive got the locks complete with the doors and barrels but no keys. Ok I will put an advert out for some parts.

I have the rear wheels but not the fronts.

Panels I have:-

Front headlamp pods, front bonnet, front spoiler, both complete doors, air intake ears, rear bumper and valance I think its an S1 or S2 valance not a turbo one but still looks really nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can buy keys. If they are the original doors you can get the key code from lotus heritage Andy graham and get them cut. If not you could try BL keys. I think tou can buy just the barrels and keys from S and J sports cars. You've done really well - lots of parts. Make a list of what you need and post it hopefully some of us can help you.

Lotusbits probably have some front wheels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes the key code is on the barrel, can't remember if thats true on the Esprit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

You can buy keys. If they are the original doors you can get the key code from lotus heritage Andy graham and get them cut. If not you could try BL keys. I think tou can buy just the barrels and keys from S and J sports cars. You've done really well - lots of parts. Make a list of what you need and post it hopefully some of us can help you.

Lotusbits probably have some front wheels.

Unfortunately there not the original doors, but I think most austin rover barrels will fit but I will take them apart and have a look.

Thanks, I am getting there on parts, I will have to use my design skills and manufacture some of my own parts if necessary.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S and J sell keys and barells for £27 set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please be aware that the remains of the heat shield on the left side of the chassis (at the rear) is made from asbestos. Please be careful for removal and disposal. 🙂


It's getting there......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TAR said:

Please be aware that the remains of the heat shield on the left side of the chassis (at the rear) is made from asbestos. Please be careful for removal and disposal. 🙂

Ok, yes I looked at it thinking it was burnt fibreglass, but thank you for the heads up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey James 

Good luck on your project.

I'am also thinking of buying one, and found one with almost the same condition as yours.

Seeing you working on your project got me inspired, and hope everything works out with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, EspritS3Noob said:

Hey James 

Good luck on your project.

I'am also thinking of buying one, and found one with almost the same condition as yours.

Seeing you working on your project got me inspired, and hope everything works out with you.

Cheers, I think its a good opportunity buying a project car as you have license to design a bespoke Esprit which will iron out many gremlins that the original may have had. Although not for the purist but at least its another part of Lotus history saved.

I look forward to seeing your project and we can compare notes and ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/04/2020 at 02:32, James.007 said:

Cheers, I think its a good opportunity buying a project car as you have license to design a bespoke Esprit which will iron out many gremlins that the original may have had. Although not for the purist but at least its another part of Lotus history saved.

I look forward to seeing your project and we can compare notes and ideas.

Thanks James, :D 

I went to see the car the other day, it's really not in a good condition as i said,

but i had to give him a fair offer due to the condition (which was 80% less than what he was asking)

hope he agrees tho.

anyways I have attached few pics of the car, unfortunately i couldn't inspect it properly.

IMG-0875.thumb.jpg.62d9ffd466a86707c856139e8c70ab1b.jpgIMG-0874.thumb.jpg.09b1ec8e8ae4aad25c35743fa2cf6981.jpgIMG-0873.thumb.jpg.d4df82c9b4c78f7de3e69ec9669139ab.jpgIMG-0872.thumb.jpg.2c019497104d717d04dc5e02c90d2560.jpgIMG-0880.thumb.jpg.4e3b2022e93f39363b7ad2c050b9a31f.jpgIMG-0879.thumb.jpg.e889a7090c2ba14d200428fc27f51bb5.jpg

IMG-0885.jpg

IMG-0887.jpg

IMG-0882.jpg

 

Edited by EspritS3Noob
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks like an early Dry Sump Turbo, do you have the last four digits of the chassis number for the register?

Worth saving so good find.

Dave :) 


Do or do not, there is no try! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it has been immersed completely, has the owner reported it was in a flood? I'd worry about the loss of those bits which aren't easily salvaged after soaking in river water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EspritS3Noob said:

Thanks James, :D 

I went to see the car the other day, it's really not in a good condition as i said,

but i had to give him a fair offer due to the condition (which was 80% less than what he was asking)

hope he agrees tho.

anyways I have attached few pics of the car, unfortunately i couldn't inspect it properly.

IMG-0875.thumb.jpg.62d9ffd466a86707c856139e8c70ab1b.jpgIMG-0874.thumb.jpg.09b1ec8e8ae4aad25c35743fa2cf6981.jpgIMG-0873.thumb.jpg.d4df82c9b4c78f7de3e69ec9669139ab.jpgIMG-0872.thumb.jpg.2c019497104d717d04dc5e02c90d2560.jpgIMG-0880.thumb.jpg.4e3b2022e93f39363b7ad2c050b9a31f.jpgIMG-0879.thumb.jpg.e889a7090c2ba14d200428fc27f51bb5.jpg

IMG-0885.jpg

IMG-0887.jpg

IMG-0882.jpg

 

Nice, but a money pit - I speak from personal experience! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...