free hit
counters
Brembo from Alfa? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Brembo from Alfa?

I have a alfa 159 which has a set of Brembo calipers they are 330 discs. My Esprit Currently has the HiSpec 4 pot fitted. I am thinking of breaking the Alfa, but was wondering if the Brembo might be any good for the Esprit? Any ideas? I know Id need new brackets and possible bells to fit discs etc..

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

couple of questions mate:

What size disc are you running on the front at the moment?

My 159 had a single piece disc, does yours have a rotor and bell setup? 

What wheels do you have fitted?

cheers

4 hours ago, chris said:

couple of questions mate:

What size disc are you running on the front at the moment?

My 159 had a single piece disc, does yours have a rotor and bell setup? 

What wheels do you have fitted?

cheers

Hi

on the Esprit I have the Hispec 4 pot which I think is 280mm? Disc 

the alfa has 4 pot brembo ( can't find the part number) on 330mm single piece disc. I was wondering if the brembo could’ be used on the Esprit but would need a different disc? The Alfa is a q4 3.2 

Both cars have 17” wheels so clearance would be ok. Are the brembo a better calliper? 

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

The Brembo is definitely good but IMHO it’s not much better than than the hispec fronts. Plus you would have to spend in excess of £500 to get a set of custom bells and rotors for it, and that doesn’t take into consideration the faff of working out the alignment.

If you have the standard kit from PNM then you will have 284mm front discs. Personally I would upgrade them to the 310mm which Pete sells (£300). I would then put a set of CL RC5+ pads (£120) in it and be amazed!!! 

out of interest, what are you running in the rears mate?

I would add, Brembo makes calipers for many different situations including OEM where lots of compromises for 150K miles life and safety are involved.  I would think the performance oriented calipers from PNM are lighter and matched to your rears and actually better by most measurements..

Also, $500 for the hats and rotors plus another $500 for caliper adapters.  I just went through a similar exercise and realized the cost to do the one off machine work is really prohibitive.

PNM sells a 6 piston kit with 32mm thick rotors for not much more than the machine work because they buy in bulk  Way over kill and a completely engineered kit.

If you are off by one mm in the on your rotor bell or caliper adapter it might not work right and you have to do it again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2020 at 11:00, chris said:

The Brembo is definitely good but IMHO it’s not much better than than the hispec fronts. Plus you would have to spend in excess of £500 to get a set of custom bells and rotors for it, and that doesn’t take into consideration the faff of working out the alignment.

If you have the standard kit from PNM then you will have 284mm front discs. Personally I would upgrade them to the 310mm which Pete sells (£300). I would then put a set of CL RC5+ pads (£120) in it and be amazed!!! 

out of interest, what are you running in the rears mate?

Thanks for the replies,

Mine is probably the standard kit I need to measure them, but not near the car at the mo. On the rears I have the rubbish things it came out of the factory with, what's the thinking on replacements these days?

On 08/04/2020 at 23:02, Erikl said:

I would add, Brembo makes calipers for many different situations including OEM where lots of compromises for 150K miles life and safety are involved.  I would think the performance oriented calipers from PNM are lighter and matched to your rears and actually better by most measurements..

Also, $500 for the hats and rotors plus another $500 for caliper adapters.  I just went through a similar exercise and realized the cost to do the one off machine work is really prohibitive.

PNM sells a 6 piston kit with 32mm thick rotors for not much more than the machine work because they buy in bulk  Way over kill and a completely engineered kit.

If you are off by one mm in the on your rotor bell or caliper adapter it might not work right and you have to do it again. 

Hi

I've been looking at he Brembo catalogue and I think the calipers may be same as Ferrari 360 as measurements seem same. The Alfa is quite a fast heavy car, so the brakes are good on it. I agree with you about costs. I'm going to break the car and was thinking if I could use the calipers. 

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

You could look at using the alfa rears on the Esprit. No one to my knowledge has ever done it and so it will be a voyage of discovery with a likely high price tag. Might be worth trying to find out if the alfa rear calipers are the same as the later esprit rears? If so then you could just get the pnm brackets and discs (see option 2 below).

standard rear options are:

1.new replacement rear calipers from a VW on original size discs.

2. Brembo rears from an S4 onwards with larger discs from PNM -expensive and heavy

3. as option 2 but used as a handbrake only and fit 4pot calipers.

4. 4 pot calipers with built in hand brake - great brakes, rubbish handbrake (don’t do it)!!

5. 4 pot calipers on a 300 or 320 disc with a wilwood mechanical Handbrake calliper. I have this fitted on my 300mm rears and am quite impressed. 

6.  4 pot calipers on 300 or 320 discs with a hispec electronic handbrake caliper. Think they are only on a 320 at the moment but confirm with PNM. Very expensive!!!

options 1 and 2 give you an alright handbrake but only a single piston rear brake. Options 3-6 give you great braking on the rears whilst driving but with various handbrake effectiveness.