free hit
counters
Underside a Lotus 1986 Turbo HCi? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Afvfx

Underside a Lotus 1986 Turbo HCi?

Hi esteemed forum!  I’m expecting images of a car I’m looking to buy that show the underneath of the car but cannot find any images of what the car should look like under there! Wondering if anyone could direct me somewhere that has good references?

thanks so much!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I cant as my underside panels are currently removed.  You can always post the pictures and wait for the comments

Andrew, there’s lots of underside pictures on BaT. Have a look at the links below. There isn’t all that much difference between these cars, they all look alike from below.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-lotus-esprit-3/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-lotus-esprit/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-lotus-esprit-4/

• Thanks 1

Ad initium

Perfect! Thanks so much, I’ve sent to the seller as I seem to recall seeing fiber glass panels bolted in place to cover much of the underside, which I felt was super odd. Naturally will need to have any panels removed for inspection.

much appreciated

• Like 1

If you mean the panel (undertray) under the front of the engine bay: 

You NEED that. Should be part of the sale on any Turbo that you buy.  It prevents road debris from flying up into the exposed timing belt (yes, I know of an owner that lost a timing belt like that on a test drive).

(Lessens oil dripping on the ground too, LOL)

Between the front wheels and the engine bay, the underside of the car was VERY flat fiberglass.  Lotus was ahead of its time with that...new cars are now designed with smooth underbodies to improve aero!

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Okay great thanks, super helpful. It sounds like the one I’m having inspected has the right bits in the right places. 👍

It is worth noting that the first and 3rd BaT cars in @Gis links above are MISSING the undertray I was talking about.  The second one has it in place (tho' the underbody and galvanized chassis has been PAINTED, they didn't come like that from the factory)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

That’s how the under tray looks like. It covers the front part of the engine with the belts, the fuel pump and the cross over fuel pipe etc.

9D390827-7165-4604-B274-113857824F5D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Ad initium

Here is the undertray from our Stevens car. Note that it has 'added lightness' because the factory cut out some cooling holes. 🤗

👏

P9110004.JPG

• Thanks 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Are all G Esprits supposed to have an undertray or just the Turbo's?

I’ll let someone that knows their stuff answer that one. 

Edited by Afvfx

1 hour ago, Big Vern said:

Are all G Esprits supposed to have an undertray or just the Turbo's?

Just the Turbos. My S3 doesn't have one which means it's harder to keep the  engine bay clean.

ah ok thought so, phew, thought i was missing something there! Gave her a clean myself this weekend!

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

• Like 2

Hi there - Here are images of the underside. Looks good but again would encourage any thoughts or feedback :)

IMG_1356.JPG.be848264aba216582db27d37d54cf372.JPGIMG_1351.JPG.f405fcc04cc6a2a403e1c07c7c4d1629.JPGIMG_1361.JPG.9dcc747eb39f7c2cd40f7f2c8c9da734.JPGIMG_1357.JPG.e3dec6e9f29d4ba2e6058ddf606b95fe.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

I'd suggest the underside and mechanicals on that look in better shape than the the majority of the UK/European  S3's including mine. My only comment would be that on photo of the rear silencer there are usually two metal straps that hold it to a bracket that 'is bolted to the the gearbox. On this one there are marks where the straps might have been but I can't see them, so there must be something else (or nothing) holding it in place

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

Thanks Colin, well spotted! I'll ask the seller there whereabouts of the metal straps. 

Much appreciated!

That car looks like new under there - I would personally have no concerns regarding this one. If it drives well and looks as it does you’ve done well👍

• Like 1

Thanks again Stephen, really appreciate your continued feedback and thoughts. Will be picking the car up on Friday, a nice 80 mile trip to the cars new home if all goes well 👍

Edited by Afvfx

I agree that the Nevada car looks good underneath. Undertray is fitted! 👏 Lower control arm bushings look NEW. (They often squeeze apart)

Brake lines look original. Luckily, correct-length SS braided hoses are readily available from JAE Parts.

The pics don't show the catalytic converter, though ( behind the left side wheel well) and I KNOW that is a watchpoint for California emissions inspectors.  Make sure that you can see the big metal can that houses the converter matrix.

• Thanks 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Thanks for response. I’ll ask re the CAT but assume all is good there as car just passed smog and emissions test

Don't the inspectors look for original equipment (CARB-certified) parts? Have heard SO MUCH over the years about the difficulties of emissions inspection. 

I have HCI-owning friends that could advise.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA