free hit
counters
Cost of respray compared to wrap. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw an Exige S2 a few years ago that had an £8k respray, it was a metallic. I had a front clam done a couple years ago on an Elise, £900 no colour change and clam wasn’t removed. if you really

With a respray it's a bit of a case of how long is a piece of string. Back when I had a VX220, I had a full respray in the same colour for £1000.   The pink on my Exige will cost roughly 6x that

George is right in the ball park with about 6k Just had my project Elise painted, I did ALL the stripping and reassembly as well as supplying all the seals and decals. Just the paint work with cl

I saw an Exige S2 a few years ago that had an £8k respray, it was a metallic. I had a front clam done a couple years ago on an Elise, £900 no colour change and clam wasn’t removed.

if you really need to change the colour then I’m sure a wrap will be significantly cheaper

• Like 1

The challenge with wrapping is the clams as they’re one piece and too big for one sheet of wrap which means it’s doable but you have joins (which personally I’m not keen on). I did get a quote once from PW Pro who i highly rate for full wraps and he suggested around £2.5k from memory.

www.alias23.com

With a respray it's a bit of a case of how long is a piece of string.

Back when I had a VX220, I had a full respray in the same colour for £1000.   The pink on my Exige will cost roughly 6x that I think.

One of the nice things about paint is that you can get rid of crappy stickers and do all the detailing under the lacquer. 

IMO, wraps aren't a nice looking solution, they're never perfect, the edges lift, they get marks in them, then there's the risk of them pulling the paint off the car when you remove them (this happened on my VX220 which is why it was resprayed). Most of all though, you just can't get the same class effect as paint, even with the very best wraps out there.  In terms of cost, for a good material wrap plus installation, you're looking at at least £4k I think.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

With a respray it's a bit of a case of how long is a piece of string.

Back when I had a VX220, I had a full respray in the same colour for £1000.   The pink on my Exige will cost roughly 6x that I think.

One of the nice things about paint is that you can get rid of crappy stickers and do all the detailing under the lacquer. 

IMO, wraps aren't a nice looking solution, they're never perfect, the edges lift, they get marks in them, then there's the risk of them pulling the paint off the car when you remove them (this happened on my VX220 which is why it was resprayed). Most of all though, you just can't get the same class effect as paint, even with the very best wraps out there.  In terms of cost, for a good material wrap plus installation, you're looking at at least £4k I think.

What about your respray will make it so much more than the VX respray? Is it the fact it’s a custom colour? The pigment etc that male up your chosen colour over say another colour? The guys doing it etc?

Just now, Woots said:

What about your respray will make it so much more than the VX respray? Is it the fact it’s a custom colour? The pigment etc that male up your chosen colour over say another colour? The guys doing it etc?

The VX220 was resprayed with clams on the car still I think, and the finish wasn't that great.  At the end of the day, it's down to the time put in. If you put in the time and it's done by people who are very good, the result will be much better, with no overspray, glossy finish on the whole car, etc etc.

I'd say the £1000 paint job on my VX220 was still better than a wrap...

38 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

The VX220 was resprayed with clams on the car still I think, and the finish wasn't that great.  At the end of the day, it's down to the time put in. If you put in the time and it's done by people who are very good, the result will be much better, with no overspray, glossy finish on the whole car, etc etc.

I'd say the £1000 paint job on my VX220 was still better than a wrap...

George is right in the ball park with about 6k

Just had my project Elise painted, I did ALL the stripping and reassembly as well as supplying all the seals and decals. Just the paint work with clams removed was north of 3k and that was mates rates. With paint work its costly to sort out a shite job afterwards. low cost paintwork is cheap for a reason!!!!!!!

Edited by Seriouslylotus
  • Like 1
  • Gold FFM

I got a quote for a full colour change on my VX220 by arguabley Scotland's best paint shop, it was in the region of £5-£6k. That was everything off, done properly, to probably better than factory standard. I would suggest an Elise would be similar money, an Exige/Evora up to a £1k more. So again, I think @GFWilliams is bang on the money at £6k.  I also believe he is correct re the having the "details" done under the lacquer too. A much, much better finish and longer lasting.

I'm not a fan of wraps either, would do it as a "temporary" fix up for a couple of years on say a track car - but you can get issues with the paint when removing the wrap if a poor product was used I believe.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Try Option1 in Birmingham.... top top top fibreglass work. Check them out on the web.

cheers

On 10/04/2020 at 08:11, alias23 said:

The challenge with wrapping is the clams as they’re one piece and too big for one sheet of wrap which means it’s doable but you have joins (which personally I’m not keen on). I did get a quote once from PW Pro who i highly rate for full wraps and he suggested around £2.5k from memory.

True but a decent guy could make it look tidy

I'm about to have my front clam PPF redone as it was originally done with a basic precut template with loads of joins.

My local guy reckons he can do it with just one small join.

TO the OP's question - I would say wrap as it will keep the underlying paint in better condition. A respray you still run the risk of damage after wards.