free hit
counters
Greatest Lotus road car ever - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
jep

Greatest Lotus road car ever

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wow! It wouldn't get to my house...not through lack of desire, rather lack of ride height. 

Justin  

Stunning. So pure and focused

Edited by Bibs

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Hard to be sure with limited experience of different models, and also what criteria to use:

Europa (twin cam special JPS over oatmeal) was the car that made me a Lotus fan, but I was only 18 and have never driven one.  Did drive the later Europa at the factory and liked that , but too small.

Turbo Esprit on my wall since uni and determined to have one.  Finally got one in 1990 - awesome machine, everything I'd hoped for - hence still have it.

Lotus Carlton - got real respect from those in the know - followed/stalked/pictured when in use.  In big demand for charity rides and the odd wedding etc.  Amazingly quick for a bus, but a barge on track.  Much enjoyed for a decade.

Elise S1 - a complete giggle on track, but too small for me - quickly moved on.

M100 Elan S2.  Amazing A to B car on A and B roads. Super easy to drive very quickly safely after the least amount of getting used to it.  Needed brakes/exhaust/chip upgrades to deliver the performance its capable of, but having had that its another keeper (17 years so far).

Factory drives of the Evora LE and S - very capable but not yet tempted enough to shell out.

but for me, the winner is:

Talbot Sunbeam Lotus S1 - embassy black, silver stripes, grey cloth.  Simply a forgotten game changer.  It preceded but still out hot hatched most of the hot hatches that followed (I've had/driven most eg: Golf/XR/RS Turbo/205 GTI/etc.)  All the same characteristics of practical performance so an ideal road car but also great fun on track.  But probably what swings it is that it got just as much respect as the Carlton, but from a much wider audience, not just the few petrolheads in the know.  From classic car events to petrol stations to the local dump queue everyone seemed to have some memory of the car and/or had always wanted one and were keen to talk about it.  No one was nasty just a constant positive vibe - (other than they rust to b****ry for a pasttime!).  Had mine from 2002-2005 and still miss it.

• Like 1

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Great post @MPx

Love the Sunbeam, never driven one. I remember the low mileage one in Bonhams auction early 2000s. I think it fetched £8K, ex-museum car with from memory 2000 miles on the clock. I have a picture somewhere and maybe even the catalogue. 

I would probably pick the Lotus Cortina over the Sunbeam but, again, not driven one so purely a prejudice view based on looks and historic bias. Both cars very important and Sunbeam a World Champion. 

Elan M100 - even not upgraded they are simply amazing and such a bargain. So secure and easy, Stevie Wonder could drive one and not crash.

Justin

Elan M100. I wrote mine off after six days. Bought it on a Saturday, spun upside down through a hedge the following Friday. Not as fool proof as I thought 😒 

I blame me rather than the car though, I may have been a bit over enthusiastic.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Was it new or second-hand? Dodgy suspension/tyres if 2nd hand. 😉

In the wet they are supreme. 

Justin 

Second hand. I’d like to be able to blame the car but in reality I ran out of talent, lost the rear end, clipped a kerb which flipped it over (full 360) through a hedge. Fortunately nothing solid on the other side. Just cuts, bruises, sprained ankle and broken arm.

I was devastated about the car, it was my first Lotus and I loved it (briefly). Didn’t put me off Lotus though 😁

What? No love for the Elise GT1? So rare that I never heard any driving impressions on it, too bad the racing version wasn't very competitive. Anyone know of it's whereabouts?

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Elise GT1 I am sure is amazing. Plenty of love here for it....but I don't think it can even be close to being the best Lotus road car ever. Surely a one-trick pony? 

Justin 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neal H said:

Elan M100. I wrote mine off after six days. Bought it on a Saturday, spun upside down through a hedge the following Friday. Not as fool proof as I thought 😒 

I blame me rather than the car though, I may have been a bit over enthusiastic.

I'm sure we'll never know Neal, but I'm guessing:

You were going for it and it was on its original brakes and you needed to stamp on the anchors to slow it down.  Unfortunately, unless in pristine just serviced condition, the fronts aren't up to it and the balance bias might well have allowed too much pressure at the back locking up the rears.  Hard to think how else you'd loose the back end on an M100.  With a reasonable front caliper/disk upgrade which enables you to actually lock the fronts, such a thing is much less likely.   Although you can cock the balance back up by over-upgrading the rears too!

• Like 1

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny