free hit
counters
Strut on bonnet. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Strut on bonnet.

Having spent the last 2 days trying to fix the n/s vacuum headlight pod without too much success, with the bonnet going up and down repeatedly I've  now found that the strut has given up and died!!

So my question is the length of the strut fully extended is just over 500mm so presumably a 500mm strut will suffice as a replacement? but what newton force (nm) is required to hold it in place?

Also the rear struts  are 400mm and seem a bit lazy and what would be the nm for these? 

thanks 

Angus

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not sure if the Elite uses the same as my Excel, but the I fitted a Range Rover Classic upper tailgate strut. It's a straight replacement (MXC7833). £12.50 for two, including postage from ‘JGS 4X4’. 

• Like 1

Hi Tony

Thanks for this, could you or indeed any excel owner check the dimensions of the strut. Before I splash the cash.

Mine is 500mm centre hole to centre hole. 

compressed/cylinder/barreel inc 1 end 287mm.

stroke inc 1 end 237mm.

total length 524mm

Thanks  Angus 

Angus,

The total length, centre hole to centre hole, is 500mm.

Total length, end to end, is 520mm

Compressed is 285mm, centre hole to centre hole.

However stroke is 210mm,  but if you include one end that's another 10mm, i.e. 230mm, closer to your number of 237.

Tony

• Like 1

On 14/04/2020 at 12:36, Angus553 said:

Also the rear struts  are 400mm and seem a bit lazy and what would be the nm for these? 

I put on some generic ones from SGS and they were 200nm. I tried a more exact part previously and they were 150nm(standard pressure) and didn't have enough lift.  strut details: part GS8-18-180-220 and get them pressurised to 200nm

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gs8-18-180-220

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Having decided to replace the tailgate struts and using the above previously  supplied info, the purchase of a pair of LR Disco3/Range Rover front bonnet struts (230N)  were made. They are now fitted and work perfectly, opening up fully when the tailgate is released.  Also for the record the RR P38rear tailgate strut fits but with a 300N force. The previous pair were Liftomat  250N struts ancient and original??