free hit
counters
Extended warranty query - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Extended warranty query

DrBru

HI guys

Ive just started my search for a used exige which is likely to be a 350 sport of 410....I know lotus themselves don't offer an extended warranty policy but I've heard on the grapevine that some dealers may. Does anyone have a decent extended warranty product as I would only purchase this type of car with warranty as im assuming things will get vey expensive if things go wrong

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I suppose the other thing that I should have added is that if it turns our I can't get a decent warrranty in all of your experiences how much should I be putting aside as far as a slush fund goes? This will not be a daily driver so cant see it doing more than 2-3k miles per year

thanks

• Gold FFM

Most Lotus dealers will offer you a used warranty, but you can also "buy" one yourself - at least one person on here works for a warranty company = @stephenwhyte?

When I bought my first Evora it was 4 years old and the warranty came from WarrantyWise (I think it was) through the dealer (Murrays, then Leven, then no more!) I needed a couple of things done on it and the experience was fine, no issues.

It seems warranties are bit like finance/PCP, everyone thinks you have to get it/buy it through a dealer, but you don't...

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Most Lotus dealers will offer you a used warranty, but you can also "buy" one yourself - at least one person on here works for a warranty company = @stephenwhyte?

It seems warranties are bit like finance/PCP, everyone thinks you have to get it/buy it through a dealer, but you don't...

We only supply in the first instance to customers through our dealer partners.....we would once a policy expires,  then offer renewals directly to customers.

Some other providers supply directly online to the end user......but we don’t.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
9 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

We only supply in the first instance to customers through our dealer partners.....we would once a policy expires,  then offer renewals directly to customers.

Some other providers supply directly online to the end user......but we don’t.

That's a shame but I can understand why.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

55 minutes ago, jep said:

I bought an 8 year old Evora from Bell and Colvill in 2018. 50,000 mile car. It came with a comprehensive 1 year warranty. Any issues I had, they fixed. I never had to get involved in any 3rd party warranty claim, B&C just got on with it. Issues fixed inc reversing camera, exhaust actuator, window relay. 65,000 miles now, going like a dream. 

And I get free MOT for life each year, a B&C USP for any car they supply. They even fixed a slow puncture for free (6 months after I bought the car, they would not let me pay). 

Proper guys and gals, they are in for the long haul and I would not buy a Lotus from any other dealer given a choice.

Justin 

Great service!  Great to hear.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, jep said:

I bought an 8 year old Evora from Bell and Colvill in 2018. 50,000 mile car. It came with a comprehensive 1 year warranty. Any issues I had, they fixed. I never had to get involved in any 3rd party warranty claim, B&C just got on with it. Issues fixed inc reversing camera, exhaust actuator, window relay. 65,000 miles now, going like a dream. 

And I get free MOT for life each year, a B&C USP for any car they supply. They even fixed a slow puncture for free (6 months after I bought the car, they would not let me pay). 

Proper guys and gals, they are in for the long haul and I would not buy a Lotus from any other dealer given a choice.

Justin 

This really is brilliant to hear and is exactly how an enthusiastic dealership for enthusiasts cars should behave. A model for all, so often not followed.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
45 minutes ago, Edinburgh 111s said:

If only Scotland had a Lotus dealer as good as B&C.... actually if only Scotland had a lotus dealer !

Yes, don't get me started on this as the Lotus Head of Dealers posted on Facebook basically saying (in a nice way) don't whinge it's sorted. Well a further month later. It isn't. An the next nearest one, a 250 mile round trip, lost their Lotus tech so nothing doing there. So if I could travel, it would now be a 600 mile round trip. Super...  (and yes, I know Leven going bust was not down to Lotus)

Not that it really matters as we cannot travel anyway.

• Gold FFM
1 minute ago, Barrykearley said:

Could be an essential road trip there chap

To be honest, she'll be going to Allon Whites. A nice 900 mile round trip but whilst there some of AW's magic dust will really make the interior razzle dazzle with some lovely new trim work.

Had the Alcantara samples for a wee while so all is looking good!

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
8 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

It's not that the Evora is an unreliable car, it's just that some of the bits that can go wrong are expensive to buy and not always easy to source (window actuators £350 supplied and fitted, aircon pump and condensers around £900-1200 supplied and fitted, clutch £2-3.5k, headlights a grand a pop...).

You should have seen the cost of the two flimsy plastic undertrays which the pheasant smashed while committing suicide on my VW van

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

The steering rack on a Ferrari F430 Stradale is...………£16K. A chap I know needed a new one recently.

Porsche 928 steering rack used to be £800 direct from the manufacturer (IE. not Porsche). Porsche have now in effect banned their suppliers from making any parts available direct. You have to go via Porsche. The racks are now £2K.

For a low volume manufacture, Lotus parts supply and prices are I think amazingly good and reasonable. This may not last long in the Geely era but I have no idea what the Geely business model is with regards parts prices. I certainly know what Porsches plan is......

In near 30 years of Lotus ownership, I don't recall ever having a car off the road due to a supply problem. And I have hardly ever winced at the price of parts, though I do think the headlight prices I see for Evora are a bit of a concern should I need one. I don't know how that compares to other modern cars though. 

Justin 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jep said:

The steering rack on a Ferrari F430 Stradale is...………£16K. A chap I know needed a new one recently.

Porsche 928 steering rack used to be £800 direct from the manufacturer (IE. not Porsche). Porsche have now in effect banned their suppliers from making any parts available direct. You have to go via Porsche. The racks are now £2K.

For a low volume manufacture, Lotus parts supply and prices are I think amazingly good and reasonable. This may not last long in the Geely era but I have no idea what the Geely business model is with regards parts prices. I certainly know what Porsches plan is......

In near 30 years of Lotus ownership, I don't recall ever having a car off the road due to a supply problem. And I have hardly ever winced at the price of parts, though I do think the headlight prices I see for Evora are a bit of a concern should I need one. I don't know how that compares to other modern cars though. 

Justin 

With Geely coming in there has been quite a push from Lotus to REDUCE their parts pricing.  They want to stop people buying non-gen parts by making the genuine parts competitively priced.  I think its a good idea and will encourage owners to support the dealer network which will help generate revenue for the dealers who can in turn afford to invest in improving their offerings.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, jep said:

Porsche have now in effect banned their suppliers from making any parts available direct. You have to go via Porsche. The racks are now £2K.

Interesting, I would have thought this was in direct conflict with the EU's anti-trust and anti competitive laws. Oh, whoops, silly me, Porsche is a German auto manufacturer so they can do what they want!  DOH...

Glad we are back on topic and I'll do my best to keep us there - I have noticed some stuff from Lotus coming out cheaper now and interesting to hear that Geely is pushing that, it has to be great news indeed. However, I'd still recommend a good warranty with any cars over 3 years old just because we know somethings can and do fail (headlight LED's for instance, air con stuff, window regulators) and the warranty will give piece of mind for 6, 12 months which will make a big difference to the ownership experience, especially some one new to Lotus and hand made cars.

The other question was around a "budget" or "slush fund" to have in hand just in case.  I would recommend that if you can, around £2k should be squirrelled away as this would cover a significant proportion, if not all, of all but the most catastrophic failures on an Evora. For regular servicing etc, I would have though annual budget of between £1-£1.5k would take care of most things including brakes and tyres too.  Hope this helps. I'm on my second Evora in 6 years and buying one was the BEST car buying decision I ever made and I have not looked back since, nor once, regretted it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So my 380 Cup originally came with 1 year warranty. I was then able to purchase extended warranty through Lotus UK for it. The options/prices they had given me were:

Additional 2 years 20,000 Kms.                  GB Pds.                835.00

Additional 3 years 30,000 Kms.                  GB Pds                  1,800.00

(This is extended cover, mechanical and electrical failures only, and it excludes any failures that could be attributed to or aggravated by track use.)