free hit
counters
Under Bonnet Sound Deadning Material - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Under Bonnet Sound Deadning Material

Hi to all,

Can't go out but can work on the car.

The sound deadening foam lining the underside of the bonnet has turned to dust and needs to be replaced, anyone suggest something suitable, Woolies have some but very expensive. SJ has one for the Éclat and Elite, which is a reasonable price, anyone used it.

Ebay has loads of different types, but what's best. Any suggestions welcome.

Regards to all,

John

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

I bought the SJ Sportscars under bonnet sound deadening for my 87 Excel. It seems fine though it has a finishing fabric on the exposed face which does not appear to be very well adhered. We had to re-stick it. Given a choice, I would probably do away with the sound deadening and just paint the underside of the bonnet matt or satin black but the easy option was to fit the SJ foam. Price last year was around £50.00.

LotusBits do a more modern material with a silver sheen type finish that is thinner than the foam option. I rejected that some years ago but on reflection it is probably a good choice, though it may look a bit out of place as clearly not original. 

Remember to use the right adhesive, it must be for high temperature areas.

Justin 

• Gold FFM
1 minute ago, EXCEL V8 said:

On my track car I used aluminium-faced woven fibreglass cloth but I chose that mainly for it's heat capability.  If you look on Car Builder Solutions it has the code HTMAT.  They've got lots of other stuff as well.

Pete

That may well be the product LotusBits suggested; and that I described very poorly. It is tidy and looks good but stands out to my eyes as not factory. That may be a factor for some but not relevant for a track car. 

Justin  

Mike, thanks for the info on the silver foil that I have spent hours scrapping off, I thought it was backing for the foam matting that was on the underside of the bonnet, put on by a PO. The foam just fell off, the silver foil put up a good fight, does it need to be replaced and earthed before the sound deadening material goes on.

I think I'll have a word with SJ's & LotusBits on Monday.

Regards to all, John