free hit
counters
Delanaire heater unit. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

On the side of the left hand blower shroud is a resistor, has a load of wires to it.  Sits in the fan shroud to keep it cool.Resistor.thumb.jpg.ad4664c52ebe8896cb1de08ae89de5e6.jpg

Close up it's basically 2 fairly thickish bits of wire that curent passes through to control fan speed.  It still works but i'm thinking about fitting a newer version

_DSC0341.thumb.jpg.fdcf4aea1df378a5007a0ca9df7a9de7.jpg

finished.thumb.jpg.003fb631f436eaf2fca3696fc2ffc15b.thumb.jpg.f1a912b27e9c6e60473f044a6b89837a.jpg

SJ sell this, which is a modern version and doesn't look like it would catch fire any time soon.  Has anyone retro fitted one of these? Is so how long ago and any issues?

A076M6007F.jpg?mod=86

Roland

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ken - It sounds like your blower motor resistors have burnt out. Pete

That is part of the vacuum-modulating system which controls the "dole valve" - the hot water valve in the engine bay.  I works in conjunction with the device on the very top of the housing.  I'm remov

Posted Images

I can only use my fan on full as the resistor heats up and smells like it's going to catch fire on slow speed!

Thread hijack!  I thought I knew everything I needed to about the Delanair unit, but can anyone tell me which cars had lever knobs fixed by screws and which had push-on?  I don't know whether it's a MY thing or the heat-only unit was the one with screw-fixed knobs.

Thanks 

Pete

Thanks Roland

I'm beginning to see a bit of a picture?  The heat-only units that I have seen so far have had screw-fixed knobs and the aircon equipped cars seem to have push on.  Can anyone else confirm this, perhaps by looking at their controls?

Thanks

Pete

• 1 month later...

My 77 503 has an allen screw holding the blower knob on. The other knobs, headlight and instrument cluster are push on with small spring loaded button that must be depressed to get them off.

Also, my heater only blows on high. No matter what position the knob is in. 

'89 Esprit, '77 Elite 503, '72 MGB, '95 XJ12, '10 Mini Cooper, '67 Imperial, '78 New Yorker, '76 Town & Country '73 Cessna 150

Thanks Pete!  I've got a bunch of issues with the AC. I'm just happy I finally got the fans to work at all! LOL

AC compressor won't kick on unless I jump it at the ranco switch. With a power probe I applied 12v to the gray wire on the ranco and the system functions as it should. Meaning the engine cooling fans turn on and power goes to the AC clutch.

The wiring diagram shows an orange wire going to the ranco and a gray wire coming out. Odd thing is the orange wire has power all the time the system is turned on. Just no power coming out. I'm suspecting the ranco is bad, because according to the FSM it supposed to act as a switch to turn the compressor on and off as the temp at the evaporator goes up or down. How can it do that if there's no power coming out of it. 

Also, you would think that there would only be power going to it only when you ask for AC not when the system is in heater mode, it has power all the time.

Very frustrating

'89 Esprit, '77 Elite 503, '72 MGB, '95 XJ12, '10 Mini Cooper, '67 Imperial, '78 New Yorker, '76 Town & Country '73 Cessna 150

Ken -does your Ranco switch stay open-circuit all the time as you move the temperature control lever?  It should be open-circuit while in "heating" mode, and as you slide the lever past the "mode change" position you hear a click, followed by a further click as you continue to move the lever to the left.  The second click is when the Ranco switch should go closed-circuit.  Also worth checking the terminals in the crappy "double bullet" connector - I'm going to replace this on mine with something a little better.  The copper capillary tube is very fragile at the point where it enters the switch - don't bend it too much!  DAMHIKIJKOK!!

Pete

Hi Pete, yes its open (power on the orange wire all the time the fan is on) nothing on the silver.  I hear the both clicks as I move the lever but there is still no power to the silver wire. Is there another switch somewhere that I'm not seeing? Somewhere built into the temperature control lever cables or actuator?  The FSM doesn't seem to show any. Or maybe I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks,

Kenny

There are no other electrical components.  Have you checked the connector on the Ranco switch yet - it goes to two "flag" spade connectors on the switch itself?  Might be worth trying a continuity meter on the switch itself, rather than the "double bullet" connector.

Pete

Yes, they are in very clean and tight condition, like new. The bullet connectors are in prime condition also.

I didn't put a meter on them though. Once I applied power to the gray wire and every thing kicked on I started to think I'm missing something else.

I just can't wrap my head around the idea that the Ranco has power to it all the time. My understanding from the FSM is that it shuts off the power to the compressor once it gets cold enough sensing temperature though the capillary tube. It seems that the compressor would be running all the time. The ranco gets its power from the fan switch. Makes no sense.

Very odd. I guess I'm over-thinking it. Back to the wiring diagram for more flow charting. LOL

Power to the Ranco switch is ignition controlled:  The interior fan switch is relay-controlled - when the ignition is turned on the relay is activated so 12v becomes available at the fan switch - the same relay sends 12v to the Ranco switch.  Absolutely nothing happens until the Ranco switch is commanded to closed-circuit by moving the temperature lever to the left - it is basically a mechanically-controlled variable temperature thermostat.  When the Ranco switch is activated 12v then is sent to the compressor coil and the engine cooling fan relay, thereby pulling the compressor clutch in and turning the engine cooling fans on.  The interior fans only come on when switched on.  Does this make sense?

Pete

Yes and Thanks! I'm going to dig into it deeper. What does that bi-metal switch above the Ranco do? Seems to be some type of vacuum actuated switch.

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully we can figure it out. It worked at one time, but now nothing.

Kenny

That is part of the vacuum-modulating system which controls the "dole valve" - the hot water valve in the engine bay.  I works in conjunction with the device on the very top of the housing.  I'm removing all that stuff and replacing it with a bowden cable to control the hot water valve.  I'll be posting more pictures in my Delanair restoration/modification thread soon.

Pete

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EXCEL V8 said:

That is part of the vacuum-modulating system which controls the "dole valve" - the hot water valve in the engine bay.  I works in conjunction with the device on the very top of the housing.  I'm removing all that stuff and replacing it with a bowden cable to control the hot water valve.  I'll be posting more pictures in my Delanair restoration/modification thread soon.

Pete

Looking forward to that thread, sorting out the heating system And deleting the vacuum controls is on my to do list