free hit
counters
Annoying squeaks, creaks and rattles - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
jonroberts

Annoying squeaks, creaks and rattles

Long time no posting as everything has been fine with the car. I put this down to regular use - it gets a decent weekly drive out, rain or shine.

For a long time now I've had annoying squeaks and rattles somewhere from the front end when driving over uneven surfaces. I've not been able to ascertain whether it is internal or external to be honest and might be a combination of both. I suspect its internal around the heater area as the whole front end was rebuilt with new bushes and shocks a year back and the noise existed prior to that. I've also checked the security of the chassis mounting points to the bodywork and they are all still tight.

A 'bounce' test on the front doesn't really reveal anything other than some body creaks, so in this period when I can't drive the car much I bit the bullet and pulled the dash out so I can sit in the passenger side to identify the area of the noise while somebody else drives the car over a bad surface.

During my removal of the dash whilst pulling all the items that have to be pulled to get it out, I noticed that I have some small play in the upper steering column bearing. I've noticed this before and it makes a rattling over uneven surfaces, so I'm going to investigate what can be done about that (if anything) without replacement of the whole column.

IMG_0977.jpeg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I discovered the steering wheel was missing two 3mm x 45mm roll pins which release the indicators.

IMG_1028.thumb.jpeg.82f86c3a181c8cdafa0a6cf1407f5b7a.jpeg

IMG_1025.thumb.jpeg.d0f6757483c19ec715c0be45fb448e19.jpeg

For the first time in my ownership (25+ years) the indicators now self-cancel. 😃  

• Like 1

On 29/04/2020 at 23:31, jonroberts said:

with no replacements available, it presented a challenge

I may have similar in my Elite, MOT picked it up as worn bearing, just advisory. What was your fix?

1 hour ago, Clive59 said:

I may have similar in my Elite, MOT picked it up as worn bearing, just advisory. What was your fix?

Hi Clive.  Not sure if the Elite is the same column as the early Esprits, but if it is, the upper bearing is held in a pot-metal housing fixed to the column by four screws. Remove the steering wheel, indicator stalks, circlip and spring, four screws then twist the housing anticlockwise and it should pull off the end of the column. You may need a puller - I didnt. 

I washed the the bearing out in petrol to assess where the wear was and as you can see in the video it wasn't the bearing race.  After drilling and glueing the bearing case in place I re-packed the bearing with grease (from both sides as it is a double row bearing) and re-fitted.  All the play was taken out once reassembled. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting, I had an advisory on this  last MOT so I'm going to have  a look at mine now to see if its something similar, I think the column on the S1 is the same as the S3 but no idea about an Elite.

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

23 hours ago, Choppa said:

Interesting, I had an advisory on this  last MOT so I'm going to have  a look at mine now to see if its something similar, I think the column on the S1 is the same as the S3 but no idea about an Elite.

Yes, all the S1/2/3 including Turbo cars have the same column.  In my search for what car this came off, @Paul Coleman found it was the same column as a Viva HA and of course a Jensen Healey. The top bearing has a Delco part number (7981056), which of course is no longer available.  But unless the bearings are damaged by water/rust the amount of wear they get should be negligible.