free hit
counters
Ignition wiring issue - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Russ Friedrich

Ignition wiring issue

Have a 1989 SE, starter dead when you turn key. Have accessed the ignition switch and checked voltage in start position between ground and white/red crank post and reads 12.75 volts. Removed white/red wire from top of solenoid and checked to make sure I was getting 12 volts to it also, it was dead. So I know why the starter won't work. Now I have to trace out the white/red wire to determine where I have  a break or corroded connection. Anyone experience this before and if so any suggestions, know several cable connections and harnesses involved. Not sure if there is an easy way to access. Thanks for any suggestions.

Russ Friedrich 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There’s a join in that wire just above the rhs wheelarch.

It’s easy knocked if you’ve put your hand up there recently.

Only here once

Thanks for the suggestion. I tone traced the crank wire from the ignition switch to the connector you mentioned. I took the connector apart and cleaned it, still no avail. Was not aware there was still a relay between that connector and the solenoid in the ignition box. Tone traced the wire to there and found out the relay was bad. Replaced the relay and everything works fine. Thanks again.