free hit
counters
Anyone removed Side skirts? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Anyone removed Side skirts?

Gidday 

I got the bumper off for a respray and the side skirts look little bit “ sand blasted “ towards the front and could do with a freshen up ......they look like they are a combination of bonded and riveted on there and look a bit tricky to remove / replace 

Has anyone removed them ? Any pointers ? How difficult to do this / replace 

thanks again!

Al 

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 24/04/2020 at 10:31, pureguava said:

Gidday 

I got the bumper off for a respray and the side skirts look little bit “ sand blasted “ towards the front and could do with a freshen up ......they look like they are a combination of bonded and riveted on there and look a bit tricky to remove / replace 

Has anyone removed them ? Any pointers ? How difficult to do this / replace 

thanks again!

Al 

I did swap my sills years ago.. but I'm talking 15 years ago! They are indeed riveted and bonded. I think you just have to get in there with a hacksaw blade and seperate them from the body that way.

I bonded them back on with the same method, rivets and sikaflex which is a polyurethane adhesive used in marine applications. I think 'no more nails' is fairly similar so would probably do as well!

One pointer though that I remember is that when the sills are off, it's easy to get to the bottom door hinge and handbrake mounting plate which you can't normally do that easily, so take the chance to give those a bit of a service/replace them, as they'll be rotten probably.

• 2 weeks later...

if there is anyway possible for you to NOT remove them- i would do it... i am almost done with an update and the chances of you destroying them to get them off are probably better than the benefit of removing them. you have to cut out the engine bay air inlet and then re-glass it back in, the paint and bonding have a tendency to break when you use a chisel to separate it from the body and there are rivets under the gas tank that you can get with a body saw but will impact the exterior of the sill.

and just in case someone is reading this in the future world... i am grafting S4S on one side and V8 on the other and the V8 actually works. the S4s doesn't bolt up correctly - so if you have a choice, go with V8 ..... and the reason i went with 2 different years?.... dude destroyed the other one getting it off.

DM me and i can share pics of what the sill looks like so you can see where the hidden rivets are and what the inlet looks like.