free hit
counters
Question on Intake Pipe to Plenum. 1985 Esprit - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Question on Intake Pipe to Plenum. 1985 Esprit

So I have searched and can't find out how to properly set up the springs for the actuator at the turbo end of the intake plenum pipe. It looks to me like the purpose of this mechanism is to prevent reverse intake pulse slowing the turbo down.

Back when I bought the car one of the springs on this assembly was broken and I've never gotten around to fixing it. I simply cable tied it open and the car seems to run ok.

Any help to explain the purpose of this thing and how to get it set up properly would be very much appreciated.

Happy quarantine to all btw.

20200426_173913.jpg

20200426_173926.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jon. I'm about to do the same after researching alot of engine pics online where this thing doesn't even appear to be installed. May be a North American requirement for emissions.

On 05/05/2020 at 09:25, andydclements said:

Is it to do with one of these?

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5337715A/en

It's not an air by-pass, it fully restricts airflow when closed, thus my suspicion that it is related to emissions reduction or minimizing pressure blowback on the turbo when the throttle is closed