free hit
counters
Piston Removal - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
gtookey

Piston Removal

I followed the workshop manual and performed a bottom end inspection on my 910 engine. Sump off,  MBP removed, caps removed and crank withdrawn.  Unfortunately I discovered some block damage that requires complete disassembly. The manual says the pistons need to be removed from the top.  With the crank withdrawn what is a good way to secure the pistons whilst I work on the top end?. The engine is mounted on a stand and is currently inverted ( sump up, head down), so I need to rotate 180 to head up.  I truly hope I don’t have to put it all back together and then disassemble again.  Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Gavin

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The pistons will  not come out of the bottom, so if it's simply that you're worried they'll fall to the floor when the engine is turned right way up, don't worry it cannot happen.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2020 at 04:09, gtookey said:

what is a good way to secure the pistons

Hi Gavin,

The pistons should resist sliding up and down anyway as the rings grip the bore somewhat.

They usually need pushing out with a firm nudge.

As AndyC says, they can't pass through the bottom anyway, the main bearings prevent this.

Andy.

• Like 1

Thanks Gents. Yes, I was worried that they would drop out the bottom or at least partially so. 

Cheers, Gavin