free hit
counters
New lotus fan - do I buy 350, 380 or 410? - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
DrBru

New lotus fan - do I buy 350, 380 or 410?

So ive decided to stuff sensibility and go for some sort of exige however with everything that is going on its probably going to be a while before I actually buy one but the research and search has begun...

Chances are its going to be  a second hand purchase and im more interested in the 380/410 as opposed to the 350 just based on what i have read....What I cant quite get my head around are the differences between the 2 - is it just horsepower and some cosmetics?

My dilemma is.....

do i buy a new 350?

or go for a second hand 380 or 410 in around 6 months -1 year time when prices are around 60k??

THanks all!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

there are some cheap 410, I would go for that .. if you can afford new, probably do it, but I would not ..  I believe this is brand new 350 money. Also there is nothin new between these used cars and the one you would get right now from factory.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/exige-s3/exige-410-sport-3-5-2dr-coupe-manual-petrol/10343573

1 minute ago, chumaxa said:

there are some cheap 410, I would go for that .. if you can afford new, probably do it, but I would not ..  I believe this is brand new 350 money. Also there is nothin new between these used cars and the one you would get right now from factory.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/exige-s3/exige-410-sport-3-5-2dr-coupe-manual-petrol/10343573

I tend to agree, the 410 has had no update so a good second hand buy would be my advice. I have a 350 and love it, but given the choice of buying a new 350 or a second hand 410, it would be the 410. 
380’s are the perceived sweet spot of the range, with lots of carbon and some nice details, but lack the charge cooler of the 410 model. 

The car in the link is very strong money for relatively high mileage. You think they would have prepped the car better for sale though, the engine bay is not what I would expect it to look like! 

410 if you can afford it. It's the only one with a chargecooler which helps keep intake temps stable for more consistent power. It helps prevent heatsoak which causes power output to decline on hot days and on track. In truth it won't be of huge benefit if you don't drive the car on track but it's a nice feature to have if you are planning trackdays or live in a hot country.

It's also the newest, fastest and craziest of the three.

In relation to prices of 410’s, I’d agreed on 62k for a 69 reg with less than a thousand miles on it. The colour was a bit marmite being Olive green, but it was immaculate. Unfortunately for me a private sale of my car fell through and someone else got a bargain. It should be interesting to see what happens to prices when the lockdown is lifted.

On 28/04/2020 at 10:34, DrBru said:

So ive decided to stuff sensibility and go for some sort of exige however with everything that is going on its probably going to be a while before I actually buy one but the research and search has begun...

Chances are its going to be  a second hand purchase and im more interested in the 380/410 as opposed to the 350 just based on what i have read....What I cant quite get my head around are the differences between the 2 - is it just horsepower and some cosmetics?

My dilemma is.....

do i buy a new 350?

or go for a second hand 380 or 410 in around 6 months -1 year time when prices are around 60k??

THanks all!

I think you should test drive hard a V6s (high £30ks) and then a 410 (mid £60s). See how significant you think the difference is, then amalgamate that with your own financial situation and planned use for the car.  Keep the future value of the car (likely depreciation) in mind.

To help all of us, I do wish one of the relative experts on this forum would come up with a quantitative measure of the actual difference in cornering speeds between the different models (standardised for tyres). What is the objective difference the extra downforce and chassis improvements make. 

Having had my 350 for about 2 years now, I'd say go for a used 410.

Bout the same price as a new 350, but higher spec and tasty power/carbon. Also tend to be nicer colours

its such a tough one because the other thing im considering is the practical car dilemma. If I go down the exige route, i will have to buy something like a golf r estate to be the family car

however the alternative is buy a C7 RS6 and have some change or wait for the new RS6 to go down in price a bit and get this

Realistically, Ill never be able to afford a true hypercard/supercar but I def see the Exige as on par with them at a reasonable price and for me it would be about the driving experience 

2 hours ago, DrBru said:

its such a tough one because the other thing im considering is the practical car dilemma. If I go down the exige route, i will have to buy something like a golf r estate to be the family car

however the alternative is buy a C7 RS6 and have some change or wait for the new RS6 to go down in price a bit and get this

Realistically, Ill never be able to afford a true hypercard/supercar but I def see the Exige as on par with them at a reasonable price and for me it would be about the driving experience 

It’s up to you but I wouldn’t want an RS6 as my ‘fun, sporty’ car. 

The lightness (at least 600kg less) and chassis stiffness of a lotus brings far more to the equation than just horsepower per ton. It’s About response to braking, cornering, and accelerator pedal. It’s also about mid engine RWD.

How about a lotus, and a 330d estate?

I don't really get how on the one hand you want a super car (which the Exige is) for the performance, dynamics, looks etc, but on the other you'd settle for a 2 ton wagon with wide wheels, electric stability aids galore, 4 wheel drive etc?

Just decide what you want the car for. I had, and have an Evora as my fun car (oh and a type 116 for the track too) and boggo 1 year old Renault Clio barge to get me to the airport and back each week. 64mpg, no fuss, no drama, couldn't care if it got "dinged" in the car park whatever.

If you need a fancy sporty car for the school run then get the RS6 or whatever. But if you really want a super car then get one and compromise on the DD - after all you'll likely be stuck in traffic anyway, fully laden when you drive it. And I don't really comprehend the idea of having a 500bhp+ sportstruck and driving with my kids in it at the sort of speed I'd have to, to make it feel, well, err, a bit sporty. That's just not fun to me and probably not fun for them either to be honest.

Just a different perspective for you.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Often driving RS6s at work, it's definitely not a sport car. It's a proper fast sedan with impressive acceleration capacity but the weight...... Nothing fun with this car except if your thing is red light racing, German highways, and show off 'cause you have a big AAAAUUUUDIIIII

Go for an A6 3.0 diesel to get 80% of it and buy an Elise S1 for proper driving experience. 

• Love 1

some very valid points...Honest truth, Ive had fast estates/saloons in the past and just have an exige itch that needs to be itched as the other cars, whilst ive loved at the time just haven't done it for me as far as driving experience goes......Im very much leaning towards the exige plus some kind of fast ish estate which is why i mentioned the golf r

Ive never even been in an exige! my only experience in a lotus was nearly 15 years ago in a modded elise running approx 200 bhp which i thought was awesome (but i had no experience of fast cars back then) - as soon as this lockdown is over def need to arrange a test drive

It'll blow your mind. You'll look back at this thread and wonder why you didn't buy one sooner! :thumbup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

40 minutes ago, DrBru said:

Ive never even been in an exige

I didn't even know Lotus made an Evora. I went past a Lotus dealership on a tram and saw my first one on the forecourt. Within 24 hours, without a test drive, it was mine. Never looked back since. Life's too short to dream. You might not wake up from it.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

5 hours ago, DrBru said:

We had a C7 as the family car, lovely thing really liked it and now in every measurable way our E63s estate is better, and the new C8 still cant match the Merc (which is not perfect by any means)

I’ve had a V6S , V6 Cup and a 410. Get the 410 . It’s the engine that really suits the Exige .

As for the Golf R estate , great practical family car, just get the 310ps not the 300 with its single point injection , you’ll thank me in 50,000 miles.

Right off to the classifieds for you =====>

Black n gold

2 hours ago, DrBru said:

some very valid points...Honest truth, Ive had fast estates/saloons in the past and just have an exige itch that needs to be itched as the other cars, whilst ive loved at the time just haven't done it for me as far as driving experience goes......Im very much leaning towards the exige plus some kind of fast ish estate which is why i mentioned the golf r

Ive never even been in an exige! my only experience in a lotus was nearly 15 years ago in a modded elise running approx 200 bhp which i thought was awesome (but i had no experience of fast cars back then) - as soon as this lockdown is over def need to arrange a test drive

The reasons why the exige fits the bill:

1) unlike a caterham, radical, atom etc you can still plausibly drive it to work or do a long road trip if you fancy. But, like those cars it still feels special and ‘racey’.

2) it catches the eye almost like a supercar for a lot less money. (Unlike a golf R, RS6 or an Elise unfortunately). This is because of the aggressive looks and the rarity of it versus a cayman/911/M car.

3) it performs like a supercar as long as you get a >400bhp version (‘almost’ if it’s a 350) for much less up front and running costs. 

I gave some thought to the same question - last year I decided for a new Sport 350 in Vivid Green with KomoTec EX460 Kit, and we lived happily ever after.....

My advice: do the same...

• Like 2

Wow, Hamster, a 250 Cup Elise and a 410 Exige! The two best Lotus car in my opinion and the source of constant wrangling in my own mind, keep my 250 Cup or have an Exige - again :lol:  You don't have to make that choice, you have both! Just plain greedy I reckon :thumbup:

Regarding the original question of a new 350 or a s/h 380/410 - get out there (when possible) and drive them, see which you prefer :driving:

This is an absolute steal at that price.  Looks stunning in the flesh.  Only a smidge more than a 350 (if you squint, stand on one leg and tilt your head sideways) and has been there a while so there may very well be a deal to be had.

If I was to go back to two cars, rather than run my Evora as my "everything" car, them a 410 would be a no brainer.  

I'm self aware enough to admit that I would only spend my life watching the "other" car go past and knowing in my heart of hearts that I am that shallow, and I should have bought the bigger/better/harder/faster version.  Admittedly, these are all subjective points - and I would go and try a few before making a decision.  I wouldn't rule out an Evora 410 sport, as there are some cracking examples out there now at the right money.

That silver sport 410 is lovely. Just lovely. And a bloody bargain!

11 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

That silver sport 410 is lovely. Just lovely. And a bloody bargain!

I know, right?  

I keep thinking about going back to two cars, then I get in the Evora and such thoughts disappear in the rear-view mirror.  If that wasn't the case, that Silver car would already be mine.

16 minutes ago, DaveC72 said:

I know, right?  

I keep thinking about going back to two cars, then I get in the Evora and such thoughts disappear in the rear-view mirror.  If that wasn't the case, that Silver car would already be mine.

Especially when they say it’s a £10,000 saving but the car was apparently originally £90k, new which it still is.....but priced at £70k. When I went to school, that would be a £20k saving!😳

@Davec72 - it's a modern day Esprit 250 Sport - silver and blue - absolute classic - I'm £20k short on the cash front other wise it would be sat in my garage next to my Evora 410 Sport right now. What a pair that would be!

You know you should so if you can then do it!  I don't do debt anymore so need to keep saving my pennies!

1 minute ago, stephenwhyte said:

hat I learned would mean that would be a £20k saving!

You might have attended your maths lessons at school but not your English ones!  As you're Scottish we'll let you off though....  :)