free hit
counters
Lotusexcel.net - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

What has happened to the Lotusexcel.net web site, since last week. It was a very good and useful site back when Angus run it. For some reason he left, and since then a few people were going to run it, but they found it wasn't as easy as thought. When the question of a small cost to members for admin, members didn't want to contribute. I was willing to pay a small amount but others were more bothered that someone might make a few quid, I wasn't bothered about that because the help on the site was unmeasurable. I have completed all the work on my 2 Excels and have now 4 cd's with hundreds of photos and two large ring binders with 600 detailed methods along with 2 cd's with manual and parts list. But with my experience thought I could still pass on advice. But it looks as if the site has finally died, shame.

Ian

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If this is a genuine concern Richard I'll up TLF's offer of free hosting to a complete migration of LotusExcel.net into TLF. Just putting it out there, it's not hard for me to do and all posts/members

Thanks for your efforts Richard, we'd be upset to lose lotusexcel.net, too much good stuff on there!  

To reiterate what was said earlier in this thread, lotusexcel.net is now to be found at https://lotusexcel.net. It was previously at http://lotusexcel.net, and old bookmarks take you to a page with th

Posted Images

It had a short down-time while upgrades were performed, and since then there seem to be dramatically less posts. I don't know whether it's just a timing thing related to the COVID-19 lockdown meaning people are doing less with their Excels/Elites/Eclats, such as fixing or driving, or that short down time meant people thought it had gone away.  The only-slightly-public falling out may have had an impact since it's shown a slightly less friendly side to that community.

TLF traffic is up over 30%, it's not virus related. Perhaps the move to a new server wasn't done as well as it could be and people are still viewing a cached version of the old site and leaving thinking it's broken? 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

If you had the page bookmarked and try to use that bookmark, it looks like the upgrade still hasn't finished. You need to start again and save the site to a new bookmark.

It caught me out for 3-4 days.

1 hour ago, ChrisJ said:

If you had the page bookmarked and try to use that bookmark, it looks like the upgrade still hasn't finished. You need to start again and save the site to a new bookmark.

It caught me out for 3-4 days.

So that's why I never get the board index when I go there!  Thanks for that one.  I bet lots of people don't know.

Pete

Yes, and you can't post this info on the site, as the ones who need it won't be able to see it :(

You also need to go and upload your avatar again as the previous one hasn't copied over.

I think it's also gone from http://www.LotusExcel.net to httpS://www/LotusExcel.net and that has caught some people out with their bookmarks not working.

It does seem a bit quieter since Angus left as he was a prolific poster compared to others on there.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm........... bandwidth  exceeded  message being received tonight :(

They've set it up with default values. Nearly every single hosting companies offers unlimited bandwidth nowadays so there's no need to stick with the default levels.

Just as well really, TLF uses over 200GB bandwidth a month and that's even with server and cloudflare level caching! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

On 16/04/2020 at 19:03, Bibs said:

Working fine from here mate - https://www.lotusexcel.net/ - I was on there the other day, there's a new chap taking over the hosting and admin (they didn't get back to TLF regarding our offer of a free hosting account) and he's done a good job updating the very aged software. 

You are welcome to post all of your information on here of course. We do have a very active Lotus 4 seater community too. 

Just seen this message Bibs - theelanman did pass on your kind offer of hosting. However I and the others who have been involved in taking over from Angus have since discovered that the site is actually owned by two other people - one of whom is the site administrator. Over the years he has kindly funded the operation of the site, and also completed the recent upgrade. He is committed to continuing to fund the site as he likes how it runs. I did respond to theelanman's offer thanking him for the offer but clarifying that the site owners did not wish to move to TLF hosting as they already had ongoing activities in that area themselves - also that we'd need phpbb technical support to plan and execute the upgrade, so it wasn't entirely straightforward. I'm sorry if that message didn't get through or I wasn't clear enough - a few things were up in the air at the time.

Throughout, my main priority has been to ensure the continued survival of lotusexcel.net, not least as it contains a wealth of valuable technical information.

As you may have seen in the latest Club Lotus News, we have now established an Elite/Eclat/Excel section in Club Lotus and are promoting both TLF and lotusexcel.net as the forums for owners to use. Different people prefer different forums for all sorts of reasons, with the general (but not exclusive) tendency for Excel owners to use excel.net and Elite/Eclat owners to use TLF as far as I can see. I'm hoping we can all live together in a friendly way, and appreciate the support you've offered. For example, I've started running Zoom meetings fortnightly that are announced on both forums (my instinct is to write 'fora' to escape a rap on the knuckles from my old Latin master!)

I'm not sure what the bandwidth issue is today - I have contacted Chris (the administrator) about it and no doubt he will address it. It is probably a teething issue following the upgrade.

Cheers, Richard

• Like 1

The Lotus excel.net site seems to have disappeared again. I know it was down over the Easter Weekend to be revamped. After that it could only be found on Google Chrome. Now that seems to have disappeared this last week or so, when I try to open it all I get is "509 Bandwidth Limit Exceeded". Can anyone help and tell me why I can't access the site anymore? I think I am still a member.

Thanks.

Ian.

Ian 

It only went down yesterday morning ( Tuesday) and all are getting the same response currently irrespective of which browser. Richards email above summarise current situation, administrator knows and I'm sure it will be back shortly.

Tony

1 hour ago, 1990 Red Excel said:

The Lotus excel.net site seems to have disappeared again. I know it was down over the Easter Weekend to be revamped. After that it could only be found on Google Chrome. Now that seems to have disappeared this last week or so, when I try to open it all I get is "509 Bandwidth Limit Exceeded". Can anyone help and tell me why I can't access the site anymore? I think I am still a member.

Thanks.

Ian.

If you had accessing the site (after its refresh)  it's probably due to caching in your other browser or bookmarking of an old page. either would mean you'd have seen an error message when in actual fact the site was up and running. the difficulty was, the site couldn't get a message posted to tell people, because generally if you got the error you'd not see the message , if you saw the message you didn't need to now (bit like putting up a note in the dark stating the light has gone out).

To reiterate what was said earlier in this thread, lotusexcel.net is now to be found at https://lotusexcel.net. It was previously at http://lotusexcel.net, and old bookmarks take you to a page with the site file structure displayed. From here you can get to the new site by clicking on 'Parent Directory' but it is better to amend your bookmarks!

That said, the site is still down with the bandwidth error. I've put a follow-up message in to Chris, the site administrator, to get this fixed asap. Don't worry, it isn't terminal - just very annoying!

Cheers, Richard

• Like 1

@rjwooll, you or perhaps Chris could add this to the .htacess file in the root directory :)

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} 80
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://www.lotusexcel.net/$1 [R,L]

That will take all your port 80 traffic (the http stuff) and automatically send it to https :thumbup:

• Like 1

Evora NA

57 minutes ago, Bibs said:

@rjwooll, you or perhaps Chris could add this to the .htacess file in the root directory :)

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} 80
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://www.lotusexcel.net/$1 [R,L]

That will take all your port 80 traffic (the http stuff) and automatically send it to https :thumbup:

Thanks Bibs, will pass your message to Chris - I don't have technical access (thank goodness!)

Richard

• Like 1

The SSL cert needs some work. Happy to help if it is required. 

Opera Snapshot_2020-04-30_002110_lotusexcel.net.png

Worse thing is that there's a website on the server than reads "A1 Damp Roofing" to me, sorry. Someone needs a P which could either make things better or worse! :lol:

Evora NA

Thanks Bibs - will pass this on also. Chris had underestimated the bandwidth required when the upgrade happened a couple of weeks ago - he's now increased it.

He was out of contact for a couple of days due to extra work pressure related to the COVID 19 outbreak - I now have a better way of alerting him if this kind of thing happens again.

Cheers, Richard

1 hour ago, rjwooll said:

Thanks Bibs - will pass this on also. Chris had underestimated the bandwidth required when the upgrade happened a couple of weeks ago - he's now increased it.

He was out of contact for a couple of days due to extra work pressure related to the COVID 19 outbreak - I now have a better way of alerting him if this kind of thing happens again.

Cheers, Richard

Just had a reply from Chris which I've sent to you in a message rather than get too techy on here! Basically he's checked and all seems well - could be an issue with stuff stuck in a browser related to the old site.

Thanks, Richard

• 4 weeks later...

I sorry to say that since the password info and security breaches on that site I'm not happy using it......

in my view hosting should have come here rather than remain in the hands of one person.........

Ive seen so many good sites go to the wall because the 'owner' no longer has either the time or the interest to contribute.......Im not saying thats the case here....but recently things have not been going to smoothly.....or at least it seems that way....

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)