free hit
counters
Lotusexcel.net - Page 2 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotusexcel.net

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Evening Richard

not important in the scheme of things, but I have been trying to join lotusexcel.net for a month, it would be nice if you could mention it to him next time you speak to him. I am worried that the car of my dreams could turn up on there for sale and I miss it
thanks in  advance

8 hours ago, theelanman said:

I sorry to say that since the password info and security breaches on that site I'm not happy using it......

in my view hosting should have come here rather than remain in the hands of one person.........

Ive seen so many good sites go to the wall because the 'owner' no longer has either the time or the interest to contribute.......Im not saying thats the case here....but recently things have not been going to smoothly.....or at least it seems that way....

Hi Gareth,

I'm sorry you feel that way about the security on lotusexcel.net - I had hoped that had been dealt with satisfactorily.

When we conversed about potentially moving lotusexcel.net to TLF hosting earlier this year, I highlighted some issues that would need to be addressed and probably paid for. As we have seen, upgrading and migrating the site to the owner's new hosting provider has had its own issues, but has also resulted in improvements to lotusexcel.net, and the owner is committed to continuing with improvements as there are still issues which had accumulated over the years. Unless there were a phpbb expert in TLF prepared to invest the time, we wouldn't have this benefit.

The current issue is under analysis. For whatever reason - and not to do with usage - bandwidth consumption on lotusexcel.net has increased massively. I am not familiar with the technicalities or commercials around the owner's hosting arrangements, but have to respect that this is his business as we get the site for free, and it is down to him to find and fix the source of this increased bandwidth problem.

Now I can contact him pretty much instantly, he has provided instant response to the bandwidth issue when it has arisen, and despite the frustration of having these outages, am happy that he is committed to preserving and enhancing the future of lotusexcel.net. Were I not confident, then I along with other members of the forum would be looking for alternatives that protected as far as possible what lotusexcel.net has to offer.

I don't view lotusexcel.net vs TLF as a battle to be fought and won; rather it is two different solutions, both with lots of good history and user loyalty, that can coexist and each hopefully benefit from the other - especially now with the formation of the Club Lotus Elite/Eclat/Excel section, which of course has no forum of its own.

All the best

Richard

1 hour ago, Francisco Franco said:

Evening Richard

not important in the scheme of things, but I have been trying to join lotusexcel.net for a month, it would be nice if you could mention it to him next time you speak to him. I am worried that the car of my dreams could turn up on there for sale and I miss it
thanks in  advance

Hi Phil,

Could you pm or email me from TLF with your details (email address, requested login name) and I will attempt to get this dealt with? I know we were hoping to have moved to a fully automated membership application process that screened out invalid applications, but maybe this isn't fully in place yet.

Thanks, Richard

Richard

I still go on the site........and we may have our wires crossed........it was never a competition of tlf v excel.net.....just that tlf offered free hosting and all that that entailed.....it would have still been run by the excel.net guy....only free and more secure.........

I'm glad you're able to get hold of him now tho' and hope that your service and security improve.......

cheers

Gareth 

• Like 1

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

• 5 months later...

i think that, sadly, Excel.net has gone down hill since Angus Mashall left, both in content and in administration.  A real shame because it's an excellent resource and I've made many friends through the site and related events over the years, as well as being a major contributor.

I've been unable to log on to the site for well over a month now after being a member for 10 years. Despite repeatedly requesting help over the last six weeks I've had one initial email saying that it would get sorted and then no replies at all to subsequent emials so I've given up now. Very frustrating and disappointing.

Edited by shaunw
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Happy to see you here as well Shaun!  How's the steering?

Pete

Hi Pete, didnt know you were on here!  I've finally fixed it. I actually had three seperate problems, the first was a dodgy thread where the hoses are bolted into the rack which was allowing air in to the system. Unfortunately after i fixed that although the steering was better it was still stiff so i had the reconditioned pump tested for flow, it wasnt outputting full flow so i had it rebuilt. Really thought that would crack it but sadly the steering remained stiff! I then disconnected the steering UJ to examine it and (as i already knew from previous work ) it was completely free and smooth through all angles.  Clutching at straws I reassembled the UJ 90 degrees 'out'. Success! Dont ask me how but the steering immediately felt completely different. I still dont understand how to be honest.  I had to remove the steering wheel and reposition due to  the repositioned the UJ, but the steering is now massively better.  

Hows things going with the Elite Haven't seen any updates for a while?

Shaun

4 hours ago, shaunw said:

i think that, sadly, Excel.net has gone down hill since Angus Mashall left, both in content and in administration.  A real shame because it's an excellent resource and I've made many friends through the site and related events over the years, as well as being a major contributor.

I've been unable to log on to the site for well over a month now after being a member for 10 years. Despite repeatedly requesting help over the last six weeks I've had one initial email saying that it would get sorted and then no replies at all to subsequent emials so I've given up now. Very frustrating and disappointing.

I’m sorry Shaun, I did escalate your last message to the administrator and obviously still nothing has happened. I will chase this up again. The administration arrangements are exactly the same as those in place during Angus Marshall’s tenure. Chris (the administrator) has promised to devolve user registration but hasn’t done this yet. His lack of availability recently is one reason for doing this.

Richard

54 minutes ago, rjwooll said:

I’m sorry Shaun, I did escalate your last message to the administrator and obviously still nothing has happened. I will chase this up again. The administration arrangements are exactly the same as those in place during Angus Marshall’s tenure. Chris (the administrator) has promised to devolve user registration but hasn’t done this yet. His lack of availability recently is one reason for doing this.

Richard

Also, I would like to understand better the comment about deterioration in content. The site has been upgraded with new features and sections and the content beyond that is largely user driven. During the pandemic we have been running fortnightly zoom meetings (posted on here also) that you are welcome to join as a way of getting together face to face. Beyond lotusexcel.net, I’ve also established a new elite/eclat/excel section in Club Lotus News to assist in raising the profile of our cars in the Lotus community and beyond.
Please bear in mind that the site is free and some of us work hard behind the scenes to protect the information lotusexcel.net contains, keep it up to date, and provide a useful resource to owners. If there are constructive comments - beyond user login and registration - about how we could improve then please let me know.

Cheers Richard

8 minutes ago, rjwooll said:

Also, I would like to understand better the comment about deterioration in content. The site has been upgraded with new features and sections and the content beyond that is largely user driven. During the pandemic we have been running fortnightly zoom meetings (posted on here also) that you are welcome to join as a way of getting together face to face. Beyond lotusexcel.net, I’ve also established a new elite/eclat/excel section in Club Lotus News to assist in raising the profile of our cars in the Lotus community and beyond.
Please bear in mind that the site is free and some of us work hard behind the scenes to protect the information lotusexcel.net contains, keep it up to date, and provide a useful resource to owners. If there are constructive comments - beyond user login and registration - about how we could improve then please let me know.

Cheers Richard

Hi Richard, i fully understand that administrators, Moderators etc are unpaid volunteers and i know the forum wouldnt exist without them. For that I am truly grateful and have always tried to support the forum by arranging meet ups, buying merchandise and helping fellow members out. I don't think its unreasonable to feel a bit disappointed that after waiting patiently for 6 weeks before chasing up a request for help I then got no reply to the chase up e-mail. 

On the subject of content my comments weren't really directed at the 'new regime', rather that the forum seems to have got gradually quieter lately with less banter, it could be that some members I was  particularly chummy with have migrated to the Facebook groups etc and as you rightly say, it's the members themselves that are responsible for content so apologies for not making that clearer.

Happy to discuss further offline, you have my e-mail address.🙂

Regards Shaun

• Like 1

Wow - that's great news about your steering woes Shaun!  So - what does the UJ configuration look like now?  Could you post a photo to show the alignment (easier to post photos on here) - might be a really useful reference for us all.  Were the UJs out of alignment before - even a few degrees?

Pete

23 hours ago, shaunw said:

finally fixed it. I actually had three seperate problems

Shaun, what were the symptoms of your problem? My Excel has very heavy steering at slow speed, but feels fine once moving. 

Tony 

2 hours ago, Tony D said:

Shaun, what were the symptoms of your problem? My Excel has very heavy steering at slow speed, but feels fine once moving. 

Tony 

Hi Tony. Mine was heavy and notchy on the move and got worse with driving as the rack was drawing in air and foaming the fluid. You may have a semi seized UJ or a slightly weak pump?  Another possible issue is the hoses collapsing internally reducing flow.

Shaun

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Wow - that's great news about your steering woes Shaun!  So - what does the UJ configuration look like now?  Could you post a photo to show the alignment (easier to post photos on here) - might be a really useful reference for us all.  Were the UJs out of alignment before - even a few degrees?

Pete

Hi Pete. The only thing that looked different after the change ( but ive since corrected ) was the steering wheel being 90 degrees off centre with the wheels straight. , I'm puzzled as to why it made a difference as you can't actually change the angle of the UJs in relation to each other, i just disconnected both ends and connected them back up after turning the steering column 90 degrees and then repositioned the steering wheel. It was an act of desperation really and i was amazed it worked!  I was dancing for joy and punching the air having had problems for so long 😂. All I can think of is that for some reason, someone had done the opposite in the past and somehow it had restricted free movement. 

Shaun

Edited by shaunw

I wonder if there was some misalignment/interaction between the lower shaft with it's two UJs and the upper with it's additional UJ?  The Later Excels with the tilting steering column have an extra UJ that the earlier cars don't have. 

Pete

37 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

I wonder if there was some misalignment/interaction between the lower shaft with it's two UJs and the upper with it's additional UJ?  The Later Excels with the tilting steering column have an extra UJ that the earlier cars don't have. 

Pete

Could be Pete. One thing for sure, it proves the point that when you've exhausted the obvious and had no joy, it pays to investigate the 'extremely unlikely'!

Total change of subject, I see you are going down the auto transmission route with the Elite. I assume that means you no longer want the manual Excel 'box? 

Shaun

14 hours ago, Bibs said:

If this is a genuine concern Richard I'll up TLF's offer of free hosting to a complete migration of LotusExcel.net into TLF. Just putting it out there, it's not hard for me to do and all posts/members etc can be moved over as we did before with the other .co.uk site a few years back. I'm not trying to take over the world, but if you're after a more secure place without worries for all that info, I'd be glad to help. 

Thanks Bibs, much appreciated. I don't want to say too much until I've consulted with excel.net members and spoken to Chris Hopper, but it does make sense from a number of points of view.

ATB, Richard

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shaunw said:

I see you are going down the auto transmission route with the Elite. I assume that means you no longer want the manual Excel 'box? 

Shaun

I'd still like the Toyota box if you're OK hanging onto it for me until we can meet up somewhere - just in case I don't like the Elite as an auto when finished.  I know the W58 box won't fit without some mods, but that might be fun as well!  

Pete

43 minutes ago, EXCEL V8 said:

I'd still like the Toyota box if you're OK hanging onto it for me until we can meet up somewhere - just in case I don't like the Elite as an auto when finished.  I know the W58 box won't fit without some mods, but that might be fun as well!  

Pete

No problem Pete, it's not going anywhere 🙂.

Shaun