free hit
counters
Removed of Intake Manifold to replace ignition coils - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Removed of Intake Manifold to replace ignition coils

Hi to all !!

Over the last 9 months I totally rebuilt my Lotus Esprit V8 replacing everything on the engine except for Ignition Coils...

Since the rebuild in late December 2019 , I have driven about 1250 miles / 2000 km and , while the engine drives well, it sometimes hesitates and idles roughly when cold and my mechanic indicated that we should replace the ignition coils... (we've already replaced cables)

I bought the ignition coils and now my mechanic is complaining that we should leave the replacement of the coils for the future, because it is too much work, he suggested we have removed and put back the intake manifold too many times, he doesn't want to deal with it...

How hard is for me to do it myself ?

I also ordered the gaskets for the intake manifold..

Is it true that it is too much work ? I thought that you just had to remove intake manifold... Do you have to separately remove throttle bodies etc etc all the parts ? It would see simple to me...

Thanks !!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Removal of the plenum is not a difficult task. The procedure is clearly defined on pages 15, 16 and 17 of section ED of the Workshop manual. You do not need to remove the throttle body stack from the plenum.  It comes off complete.

It is not a 10 minute task and is made easier by taking your rear deck vertical.

Replacement of the coil packs is a bit of a pain as one of the 4 bolts securing each coil pack is not easy to access, due to the offset positioning of the packs from each other.  You will understand when you do it.

• Love 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

I’m gonna agree with your mechanic. 

If he has had to do it enough times, I too would be sick if it. But then I don’t have the room to go full vertical on the rear hatch. 

I sometimes fear the hatch will drop and squish me for good. 

I have removed the plenum 1more time after my rebuild and I re-used the gaskets. I would re-use again. 

Btw if anyone followed one of my threads in the past I mentioned about the popping of the exhaust. It’s not just bad coilpacks, the ECU ignitors could be weak as well. Let’s hope not!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, v8GTmac1 said:

I’m gonna agree with your mechanic. 

If he has had to do it enough times, I too would be sick if it. But then I don’t have the room to go full vertical on the rear hatch. 

I sometimes fear the hatch will drop and squish me for good. 

I have removed the plenum 1more time after my rebuild and I re-used the gaskets. I would re-use again. 

Btw if anyone followed one of my threads in the past I mentioned about the popping of the exhaust. It’s not just bad coilpacks, the ECU ignitors could be weak as well. Let’s hope not!!

Hi !!

I don't get it... Why is it so much trouble ?

It's not like I asked him to do it for free..

He was arguing that it is took much work, that aluminum parts like the intake manifold should not be removed so many times because they might break, he argued that now that the car is working why take chances to mess things up (he mentioned possible air leak)... etc etc

It's not like he is busy... He opened the shop this week and work has been quiet... 

We are good buddies with my mechanic, so I told him, if he doesn't do this ignition coil replacement now, he will have to do it in 3 weeks for free because it's my birthday !! LOL

P.S. I've seen most of the times when my mechanic does serious work on the Lotus he completely removes the rear hatch...

Haha he really is afraid of the poor car. He is as afraid to tear it apart as I am to raise the boost LOL. My IAC valve is dead apparently or I have the wrong pins at the ecu. I have to pull the manifold out again for replacement. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 06/05/2020 at 09:05, andyblackman777 said:

Be careful of the plenum bolts they strip easily. Well mine did, unless they were damaged by the previous owner. I know the engine had been rebuilt. I ended up fitting helicoils in most of the threads. Not a difficult job.

I had to pull the plenum off again to replace idle valve 

accomplished with just raising the hatch onto factory strut locks

and without removing the rear deck. 

But I couldn’t find the tightening sequence for the plenum. Anyways I put it all back together and tightened it down in my own sequence until they all felt snug. 

Edited by v8GTmac1

there is no specific sequence for the plenum - it's only torqued to 20Nm.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica