free hit
counters
Tightening suspension bolts - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

• Gold FFM

I’ve bolted all the suspension up with new bolts and left the ones stated in the manual loose for when the engine is refitted and the car back on the ground

my question is.......can you get to the bolts to tighten them up whilst on the ground or does it need to be on a 4 poster ramp?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can get to them, it's awkward but possible. @Sparky's method seems entirely sensible and easier. Set the right weight load, measure distance from centre of wheel to body wheel arch,  then with whe

You can get to them, it's awkward but possible. @Sparky's method seems entirely sensible and easier. Set the right weight load, measure distance from centre of wheel to body wheel arch,  then with wheel off use a jack to get the suspension compressed to replicate that distance, and tighten bolts with easy access.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mightymetro said:

my question is.......can you get to the bolts to tighten them up whilst on the ground or does it need to be on a 4 poster ramp?

I used to put the jack under the hub & then raise it until the wishbones looked about level before tightening. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

• 1 month later...

I used four wheel ramps.... Of course, you cannot drive onto them ! You need to jack up until they can be pushed under, then load up and tighten.

• 1 month later...

I did 'em up with the car on the ground. It's not too much of a problem. Otherwise as the others point out - each corner until it just lifts off the jack stand, then tighten. But there's something rewarding about doing it according to the manual (yes I bought 150 kg cement to weigh the car down with!)

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8