free hit
counters
Esprit S4 cam-belt change! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Gibbie

Esprit S4 cam-belt change!

The lockdown has prompted me to crack on with changing the cam-belt on my S4! 
I last did this  job several years ago when I first bought the car. Sadly tho, old age means I am struggling to recollect some detail of how I did it last time so can I ask for advice from you kind folk?

In the workshop manual I am told to use the tdc marker visible on the flywheel after removing the rubber bung in the bell housing. That area of the bell housing on mine is almost  totally obscured by hoses and cables and I am unable to even make out the rubber bung, never mind remove it! The maintenance article on LEW whilst mentioning the bung actually has a photo from below showing the tdc marker on the crankshaft pulley. Do I definitely need to find the bung and use the flywheel marker or could I have used the crankshaft pulley marker last time?

Any words of wisdom gratefully received!

Kind Regards

Paul

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
4 minutes ago, Gibbie said:

Do I definitely need to find the bung and use the flywheel marker or could I have used the crankshaft pulley marker last time?

The crankshaft pulley marker will be fine. ☺

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Thanks John, I’ll press on!

Kind Regards

Paul G

Thanks John!

its a good read! 
Thanks for your replies and stay safe!

Kind Regards

Paul

• Like 1

I’ve done the recommended 500 miles after the belt change in my S4 - and have now rechecked the cam belt tension which appears to be too loose.

My question to you experts is - is it possible to adjust the belt tensioner without removing all the other belts and crankshaft pulley?

the access looks pretty restricted! I’ve just been under there!

kind Regards

Paul G

With the right tools, yes.  I use a thin-walled 17mm socket and a cut-down 19mm ring spanner.  You can just squeeze the socket between the aux belts.  Don't forget to adjust anticlockwise!

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Thanks Sparky!

Ill give it a go.

Kind Regards

Paul G

Outstanding!  Well done mate.  I have a set of those spanners, but I always forget to use them!

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Just in case this is of interest to anyone out there - although I use a Burroughs gauge to set the belt tension I’ve been keen to move to sonic measurement as per the Clavis  gauge that Lotus recommend. I’ve previously had no luck with using a microphone and an app on my iPhone. Almost random results with little repeatability.

but recently saw this advertised at affordable money, around £85.

Its turned out to be reliable and repeatable with consistent results.

Kind Regards

Paul G

E1ABA271-46E9-44A0-9E6C-B58A71A064A8.jpeg

• Like 2