free hit
counters
Battery power - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi guys

Weird issue here.Changed the battery on my 92 SE and it was fine.After a few days I now have no electric power to the car.I thought it might be that there was a drain so I recharged the battery with a charger.When I measure the current across the battery poles it is reading 11 volts.If I connect the battery to the car and take a reading from the battery connections then I am only getting 2 volts.

I have cleaned the battery contact but that has not helped.

Anybody have any ideas where to go looking ? or is my new battery just faulty ?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11V disconnected indicates a spent battery.  A fully-charged battery should maintain at least 12.5VDC after being fully charged the day before.

I'd spring for a new battery, but check the voltage after a drive and again the next morning. If a new battery goes below 12.5, you need to look for parasitic drain. Lots of videos on the 'net regards how to do that.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Hi Adrian,

Lots of non specific information here. Maybe you could clarify the following so we can understand better what's happened;

1 hour ago, AdrianB said:

Changed the battery on my 92 SE

Was this with a brand new battery from a parts supplier?

After a few days I now have no electric power

Is it possible you left one of the doors ajar or the ignition key in the accessory position (or both)

I recharged the battery with a charger

What charger was it and how long for? Was it working ok and how did you know whether it was fully charged or not?

I measure the current across the battery poles it is reading 11 volts

You've either not actually charged it or it's completely u/s. In any case, no point in putting it back on the car with only 11v showing.

I connect the battery to the car and take a reading from the battery connections then I am only getting 2 volts

To be expected if it was only reading 11v off the car.

Regards, Andy.

This was brand new battery which I bought from a parts supplier 2 weeks ago.I am fairly sure I left a door ajar so it drained the battery.I put the battery on a charger and after 24 hours the charger read that it had charged the battery.Obviously not though reading from your post.I will take the battery back to where I bought it and will get them to exchange it since it is obviously not good.

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the extra info.

The interior light and the door mounted lights total 20 watts so should be capable of completely flattening a 60ah battery in around 36hrs.

Car batteries don't like that very much but I would expect it to recover given sufficient time on a good charger.

Andy.

As @AndyPG said, a new battery should still hold a charge if TOTALLY 'topped-up". It may not last as long, but it should STILL retain the 12.5 VDC charge.

It is obvious, now,  that the door ajar drained the battery. If it won;t maintain 12.5 after resting overnight, bring it back for a replacement.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

If the voltage dropped that low, a normal charger has little chance of reviving the battery. You'll need one with a reconditioning mode. My Ctek has brought back plenty of supposedly dead batteries. Not up to full spec obviously, but certainly useable.

Why was the battery replaced in the first place? If the old one also drained, you could have a parasitic drain in the car and a new battery will only be a temporary fix. If you have the right meter, measure current with a good/charged battery connected and everything off (inlcuding interior lights).

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Tell us in a few days if it is truly solved.  🤗

Bet you will always verify that the door is shut from now on. (Just like many S4 - S4s owners who walked away without looking to make sure their brake lights turned off!) 😬

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA