free hit
counters
ACBC's Esprit - For Sale - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

ACBC's Esprit - For Sale

https://www.markdonaldson.com/car/1981-lotus-esprit-series-3-turbo-dry-sump-ex-chapman-thatcher/

I remember seeing this a few times at the Donington show, what a special car it would be to own. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Gents,  Car has been sold back to Lotus now and will eventually become part of their museum after a very light sympathetic restoration as well as use for some marketing and publicity purposes.

That's a cracking idea, would be ace to be back where it belongs!

@nello - yes, this one  

Posted Images

Does have a bit of provenance, doesn't it.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Some very good marketing with a great description which really pulls in perspective buyers.

Certainly a lovely car although personally I would prefer it had Comps but then this was Colin’s car so the latest options were inevitable.

Anyone asked a price yet?

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

It does look very nice - but with all the effort they've put into the write-up I have the feeling its going to be ££££££££......

9 minutes ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Some very good marketing with a great description which really pulls in perspective buyers.

Certainly a lovely car although personally I would prefer it had Comps but then this was Colin’s car so the latest options were inevitable.

Anyone asked a price yet?

Yeah I've talked to Mark, it's around 100,000 pounds.

Wow didn’t expect that price Lex, good luck to them but can’t help feeling if it sells that mileage won’t be increasing as destined for some private collection somewhere. 🙄

Do or do not, there is no try! 

36 minutes ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

I like the fact that the dealer is honest enough to describe a repaint as a 'blow over'!

• Like 1

I love that colour combo of the interior & exterior.

£100K is a lot but how often does a car belonging to Chapman come up?

Really good Turbos have sold over £40k

How much have S1's sold for they were being advertised for £100k a few years back.

The active suspension car wasnt that at £150K?

Its a lot of money...more than I could spend by about £99K :hrhr:

But if you want something nice with history like this its going to cost.

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Gone up since 2018 then. I could have had it for £85k then. Nearly all other classics have fallen since then so boldly priced. Really belongs in a Lotus heritage museum, amazed they haven’t snapped it up given they are planning one. Probably should be worth £100k but the number of people who really appreciate its value is small and not particularly wealthy. Not many Lotus collections out there, more’s the pity, but this would be pride of place in one. If I had the means I’d jump on it but under current circumstances I’d have to sell my own dry sump plus Evora to stretch to it, so will have to let it go. Bet he’d take £85k for it, or will do in a few weeks. Prob won’t let it go for less than £80k though would be my guess.

• Like 2

A stand out example of repairs-per-mile, even for an Esprit.  An engine overhaul at 6,700 miles- ouch! 

Meaning no disrespect here but wasn't there some conjecture a while ago about how much he actually used this car?

It would be enough for me even if he only drove it once! Does it really matter if he only put 1000 miles on it? Is it really any better if he put 3000 miles on it? The early engine overhaul suggests he enjoyed it to the full!

The reason to buy this is down to the provenance of it once being CC’s car and the fact he made some improvements over a standard Turbo Esprit. But the target audience is a small one so realising the target price before these current times is ambitious.....now it’s rather unlikely😬

• Like 1

Stunning car .But every esprit built are stunning as well .nice colour scheme .my old dry sump car was 62 I think  with bbs wheels from new .i think this car is just in front of mine .... Again with bbs ....

Has anyone ever actually seen a photo with Colin driving or sat in an Esprit? The one where he is just about to get in to the Silver car with Giugiaro is about the closest I think I've seen!?

You have to say the garage is doing a good job of promoting the sale. It's being picked up by a variety of car content websites. Publicity will help a lot with the sale I'm sure. Even though I still think Lotus should have it in their heritage museum. In terms of provenance, regardless of how many miles ACBC actually drove in the car, what is more significant for me are the modifications he was trying out. It suggests some things that may have appeared on the Esprit had he lived. We know about the power steering and different door seals but who knows what other tweaks he had made to the suspension and whatever else?

TLF group buy?

Stanzani "As you can see we didn't give a rat's ass about luggage space."

Jim Clark is still thinking about the transverse V12... 

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Does anyone have any details about the aerodynamic enhancements made to the car?  'redesigned bodywork to improve interior ventilation and cut wind noise.'