free hit
counters
Elite 75 manual steering rack lubrication - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
EliteEV

Elite 75 manual steering rack lubrication

Engine oil, gear oil, or grease? Just renewed boots and gaskets for the Triumph Herald box, and would appreciate knowing the recommended slippery stuff! Thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's usually a Ford/Burman steering rack on the Elite (from the European Ford Capri) - that's what's on mine.  Is your car an export model with a different rack?  When I recently refurbished mine with the rebuild kit from Lotus Marques it recommended using CV joint grease thinned down a bit with oil and that's what I did - seems to be fine.

Pete

Methinks that all the Federal models (and maybe European) had the Herald rack. I'm guessing because they had a LHD unit and the Burman did not. At any rate I like the idea of a slurry; thin enough to bathe the rack but thick enough that it doesn't leak out. Thanks for the reply.

Scott

http://www.evalbum.com/4524

Hi Scott - what a brilliant conversion!  Thanks for the link.  Your steering rack still looks like a Burman rack to me!  The Herald rack looks different to yours, even LHD. 

Have you had the car on the scales yet - is it heavier or lighter than original?

Pete

The link states 1204Kg, so not a great deal heavier. 

Interesting conversion Scott. Nice one.

Tony

If all else fails, read the instructions!!  😳.  About the same weight as an Excel.

Pete

No. You don't need to read the distructions. Far more entertaining to just dive in.

Years ago I did an aptitude test for engineering apprenticeship and was told I "learn by doing". All the excuse I ever needed to treat instructions as a last resort. :)

Tony

• Like 1

Sorry for the late post to your replies. Everything slows down in a pandemic!

Thanks for setting me straight on the Ford/Burman rack, Pete.

As some of you have noted, it's about 170 lbs (77 kg) over stock weight. The distribution is vastly different, though. Front/rear is 47/53, so it does understeer a bit compared to the pronounced oversteer of stock (so I am told). Still fun on the twisties, but I rarely drive it aggressively. 

Hope you all are doing well over there.

Scott