free hit
counters
Formula One - Page 15 - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Formula One

37 minutes ago, pete said:

And if you believe that

And obviously you don’t like I said gullible 😂

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
13 hours ago, scotty435 said:

And obviously you don’t like I said gullible 😂

I agree with @pete. Not sure who you are referring to here, if you DON'T believe that Olla Kallenius or Jim Ratcliffe do NOT have influence in this and so that makes three, probably four parties, for sure as my European colleagues would say :)

The F1 team is owned through equal shareholdings between Wolf, Ratcliffe and Daimler.  As the CEO Wolf will have a significant say, however, like any CEO he will be accountable to his major shareholders and a decision on this scale would usually be taken in full consultation with them, taking into account their long term strategic views, investment priorities and the returns they are expecting.

I'm gullible like Pete to think that this is not just a cosy pissing competition between Hamilton and Wolf.  After all, if it was just Wolf's decision why would he not have just said yes knowing that he was all but guaranteed two of the next 3 WDC crowns with Lewis and putting his team, that he is a major shareholder of, as THE most successful team of the modern era in F1 and therefore seeing it's value balloon.

As good as Russell is, he is NOT a Hamilton and is still some way from the finished article, people seem to forget how he put his car in the wall last year warming up his tyres!  Can anyone see Hamilton doing that?  The reason why Hamilton wins is not just the car, it is because as he has matured he is more focused, more analytical, more exact with his prep.  Russell still has some ways to go. Just like Verstappen who is maturing, but still overdrives his car and makes silly mistakes. So all the talk of replacing Hamilton with Russell is just hot air. So the reason for the delay? The shareholders are not all fully in agreement. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
4 minutes ago, mg4lotus said:

So it does seem that it was than just Wolff and Hamilton in this.  I suspect maybe an eye from Hamilton to a move to Ferarri in 2022 with the new regs?  A 9th WDC at the wheel of a Ferrari would be a good way to end his career.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

"There is the uncertainty caused by the pandemic, as well as by a number of major rule changes in F1, including a budget cap that starts this year at $145m (£114m) and new technical rules for 2022 aimed at closing up the field.

Wolff said the global situation could have an impact on the team's revenue, while Daimler as a group is having to invest in electrification, adding: "We are living a financial reality that is very different from a few years ago."

So my read on this is that Hamilton was asking for too much and Daimler were not happy and the F1 team would struggle - I think this is supported also by the fact that Lewis has space on his clothing/helmet/car so he can "sell" his own "private" advertising and therefore boost his earnings without it hitting the teams budget.

I do think the 1 year is significant and we could see Hamilton move elsewhere, but, the potential team budget and driver salary caps could see a change in F1 with the "superstars" earning less as a salary, but making it up by more personal branding/advertising on their suits/cars etc. The age of the F1 driver supersalary could be over. Hamilton was looking for £40m, Bottas is what £8m, so £48m out of Mercedes team budget of £114m is a hell of a percentage of F1 driver salary.

“The cost cap is set to be $145million for 2021, $140m for 2022 and $135m for 2023-25. There are exemptions from the cap, including marketing costs, engine manufacture, driver salaries and the salaries of the top three employees.”

https://the-race.com/formula-1/what-f1s-radical-rules-package-means-for-team-spending/

• Thanks 1

• Gold FFM

Had not realised those exemptions. So it's not really a £145m  cap then is it as to be a top team you'd still be looking at £250m a year!  Yet more marketing bullocks from F1.

It's a budget cap on the engineering side of things.  Its not a perfect situation as you state but I think it should be helpful combined with the simulation and wind tunnel time restrictions to level the playing field and make a more competitive field.

• Confused 1

• Gold FFM
39 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

It's a budget cap on the engineering side of things.  Its not a perfect situation as you state but I think it should be helpful combined with the simulation and wind tunnel time restrictions to level the playing field and make a more competitive field.

I'm not so sure. Simulation would be cheaper for the smaller teams to exploit. It's like Financial Fair Play, the rules will be bent. I.e. pay Hamilton less and let him put his own sponsorship deals together. That means less money spent on Hamilton and less overall cost for the team - the problem with the teams outside of say Ferrari, Mercedes, MclAren and Red Bull is that they do not have money to burn full stop. 

The caps on budget and simulation and wind tunnel testing are aiming to bring the maximum level of effort and cost down to a point that even the smallest teams can afford.  This together with further restrictions to the more successful teams aims to help give the less successful teams an advantage to catch up.

These are the areas that are having the greatest impact (after genuine innovation) on why the field is so spread apart.  Man power and driver quality are to less of an impact on closing down the performance difference hence not impacted by the new rules.  

The rules are trying to balance reducing costs but not make redundancies in teams and also still rewarding the best engineers and keeping that talent within F1.  Salaries for much of a F1 team are nothing special so you cant really reduce these any lower otherwise good engineers will look to applying their skills elsewhere.  Many of the drivers are already providing sponsorship and funding to their employers so their fees are not effecting the team's budget hence drivers salaries are not part of the budget cap.

I'm by no means an expert but from what I gather the new rules have been well received by pundits and commentators on the sport.  Also bear in mind the teams have to agree to the new rules, its not a dictatorship whereby FIA make up some rules and the teams have to follow.  The teams will have been consulted on the rules and many compromises made along the way before an agreement is formed and I'm sure the top teams will have had more influence than the smaller teams.

• Gold FFM

Getting his excuses in quick.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Bibs changed the title to Formula One

I like them both, but AMF1 has to be commanded on their ability to sign sponsors on this one. McLaren new orange and blue livery is not bad either.

Aston looks just like the old Mercedes mercedesamgf1 #team #livery #concept #(3/3) #Livery #by #myself #W11  #design #for #mercedesamgf1 #lewishamilton #valtteribo… | Mercedes, Mercedes  benz, Mercedes amg

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Weird bit of experimentation happening on the back of the Mercedes in testing yesterday.

587F9294-52B1-419F-B246-629BB16EB818.jpeg

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!