free hit
counters
Formula One - Page 17 - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I'm not so sure that Perez won't trouble Verstappen, his car has been problematic all week end, he was out of luck in qualifying,  and yet despite all of that, he manages to pretty much give a clinic on overtaking manoeuvres, in order to score some big points for the team. For what was hist first weekend with the team.... He's not the same Perez who blew it at McLaren years ago. The only thing that will stop him from annoying max is his team that will probably intervene if push comes to shove. I think Aston Martin will regret his decision to oust him to make room for Vettel. SV has been of his game for a little too long, I hope for him that this race week end was just anecdotal but his defensive reaction to his own snaffu was very revealing of his state of mind.

As for Bottas the writing is pretty much on the wall regardless of whether or not Hamilton calls it quit by season's end. Russell is composed, fast, very fast and doesn't mind his car not being 100% to drive its wheels off. A return to a resurgent Williams - love their 2021 livery - would be a nice way to exit the absolute top flight. He was given the chance to compete against the very best racer in F1 and it's pretty hard to beat the very best.

I can't wait to see the Mclaren Boys bridge that gap to the two frontrunners. The gap is still substantial but they are on an equal foot engine wise with the arrows so they should be able to get a little close and mix it up with them.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends whose tyres he's on

It’s not possible to say who is the GOAT because they all raced in different eras, but I think a case can be made for Fangio, Clark, Senna, Schumacher and Hamilton. Either way, Hamilton is right

Shots fired by Kimi 🤣

Posted Images

Hamilton exceeded track limits 29 times, Verstappen once, even Toto Wolff was confused

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

So were we all I think. The only thing is Hamilton never exceeded the track limits while overtaking. Then again he did very little overtaking during the race. I really don't get how Verstappen was not able to overtake him after that his tyres were still rather fresh and his car was considerably faster.

Perez is a great racer, no doubt, but he’s never been a great qualifier. It’s no good qualifying 10th and working your way through. By the time you do that the top three will be 20 seconds up the road.

Being team mate to Hamilton or Verstappen has to be the toughest job in F1. There’s probably only two or three other drivers on that grid who could make a real fight of it.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Agreed and the thing at Red Bull is that Horner talks about Max like he's a god - and that will invariably mean his is treated better than any team mate.

• Like 1

From what I understand the FIA had inconsistent rules regarding track limits at that corner.  Different rules for the qualification and race. Where as normally it’ll be one rule for the whole weekend. 

Drivers were initially allowed to cross the line during the race, hence Hamilton crossing it many times. But then got told not to do that anyone. 

I also think that because Max overtook while exceeding track limits, that some how had more weight than if he was not overtaking? I don’t agree with this rule as either way, lapping on your own or overtaking, you are still gaining an advantage by crossing the line. 

FIA should have had a clear and consistent rule for that corner. 

• Gold FFM

The rule was you could cross the line if you got "no lasting advantage" from doing it. Obviously crossing the line to overtake is a clear and unambiguous breach of that rule that even a child could understand (not calling anyone on here a child btw!).

By crossing on every lap in a non overtake manner it was deemed that no lasting advantage was being received, however, during the race, roughly mid-point the race steward did issue a "change" through a warning to Mercedes (that all teams would have heard) to stop crossing the line. So whilst not ideal, everyone would have heard this.

However, have a read of this article. it is bloody fascinating and full of "facts" and "data" as opposed to "views" and "opinions".  Would be interested in your conclusions but for me it is pretty clear that the best driver and team, NOT the best car, won the race on the day! It really opened my eyes to what is expected of an F1 driver in terms of how they collate, analyse and act on data. It also shows what a superb job Hamilton can does, and often does, in terms of managing his tyres based on his assessment of the feel and data. Remarkable!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.hamilton-vs-verstappen-the-data-that-shows-what-was-really-happening-in-the.3dmzzH3DVmuwqB2yI0OnAd.html

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

There is no doubt Hamilton drove an exceptional race on a superior strategy and some impatience from Verstappen ,however Hamilton wasn't go over track limits to lose time. So even if he only gained a tenth that is a total of 3 seconds and he won by less than a second. Don't understand why he wasn't warned earlier. 

5 minutes ago, pete said:

Don't understand why he wasn't warned earlier. 

Mainly because the drivers were told during the Drivers’ Briefing that track limits weren’t going to be enforced during the race. The stewards changed their minds partway through the race. 

• Like 2

Probably because red bull told Verstappen what was happening and to do the same. Not sure how many others were doing it

That opinion makes no sense.   MV went off circuit as a direct result of the momentum/track position from the overtaking manouver.   i.e. Its still part of the same 'event', even if he happened to be in front at that point in time.  

LH had his fair share of bad luck with poor stewards calls last season.

• Like 1

Would have thought Hamilton has had all the luck for some time especially compared to Bottas who has certainly had most of the pit stop mistakes

Did Perez's charge from the pitlane to his final position show how quick the Red Bull is compared to the rest of the field?

• Like 1

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Wow. Perez has already beaten Max in a straight quali shoot out! Who would have thought with Max being such a renowned qualifier and that Red Bull car being designed for him. ;)

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Ah, pointing out that Saint Max has been beaten by a team mate in qualifying is baiting. Ok. I'm a huge Perez fan and it is going to be really interesting to see how the race goes later between the top 3 and I for one are looking forward to it.  Max was good at the interviews after (credit where it is due)and his comment re Honda making great lawnmowers was class. I actually think this year could be the making of Max as Perez will make him fight hard. Perez is a classy intelligent driver. Great managing the car and tyres and Max probably for the first time has someone he can learn from as a team mate in F1. Perez and Verstappen could be a 3/4 year partnership if Red Bull can stick with 2 drivers. I think that stability would benefit both with Max having a great wingman for his WDC bids and Perez getting regular podiums and several wins to his palmares. Win win. My worry is Red Bull do their usual and piss about with who is in seat 2.

Bottas is a busted flush, he will not be at Mercedes in 2022 and I think he knows it. My guess is he retires end of this year.

Yep, credit where it’s due to Perez, fantastic performance particularly given that qualifying isn’t his strong point - just shows that Red Bull still have the fastest car. Max clearly made a mistake on his fastest lap which would have seen him on pole. No excuses from him afterwards 👍

Should be a good race. Hamilton vs the faster Red Bulls. I’m sure Hamilton is genuinely relishing the prospect. Hopefully RB will let Perez race for the win rather than just try and use him to disrupt Hamilton’s race.

• Gold FFM

Well, Max did it. Was not expecting that so maybe it really is game on for the season.

Rare mistake from Hamilton too who was lucky re the timing of the safety car. Bottas, well he's burned toast now really.  He'll be in a Williams or retired next year.

• Like 1

Looks like Max has learnt from his previous outing in the wet. Perez will have to get his act together, or he’ll be the next Alex Albon. That said, I did think the penalty for regaining his position under safety car was harsh.

Hamster befitted hugely from the safety car and red flag after his cock-up but nonetheless it was a cracking race, and hopefully we can see more competitive racing for the remainder of the season.

The driver of the day? For me, Lando Norris.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

That said, I did think the penalty for regaining his position under safety car was harsh.

Big Perez fan here and not harsh at all. He made a school boy error and the rules are clear. Also, his team should have been on the Radio straight away to tell him to drop back to mitigate the issue/potential penalty. I think Perez was just a tad excited yesterday and so he over cooked it a few times. He is obviously very aware that he now has the car underneath him that he has always needed to be a consistent podium finisher and so lost his head slightly / got carried away?

At the restart, when Verstappen spun off the track, does anybody know if the other cars could have continued / sped to the start line, or were they obliged to wait for him to regain position on the track.

Was it a missed opportunity?

27 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Big Perez fan here and not harsh at all. He made a school boy error and the rules are clear. Also, his team should have been on the Radio straight away to tell him to drop back to mitigate the issue/potential penalty. I think Perez was just a tad excited yesterday and so he over cooked it a few times. He is obviously very aware that he now has the car underneath him that he has always needed to be a consistent podium finisher and so lost his head slightly / got carried away?

To be clear, I wasn’t saying Perez shouldn’t have been penalised, it was the severity of it which seemed over the top.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Ah, understood, but then to regain two places on a track like Imola - I still think it was warranted but understand where you are coming from.

Don't understand why lapped cars were able to unlap themselves before the red flag restart. What is the point of that rule?