free hit
counters
Formula One - Page 20 - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Formula One

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Think it was a good result for Hamilton in the end really.

He was looking at being 14 points down realistically after this race. The pit stop screwed his chances of getting more than 3rd and even if that hadn't happened, it was probably 2nd behind Verstappen.

He emerges from the race only a few points down and off the back of a couple of bad tracks and multitude of errors from the whole team. Can't complain too much!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mg4lotus said:

Can worry about the tyres letting loose though.

And not for the first time in the last few years with the current brand...Can't be good for product reputation.

• Gold FFM

One of the ways to breathe life into F1 would be to let manufacturers compete on tyres - would be great to see Michelin v Pirelli v Goodyear etc.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

NASCAR tried that years ago and it was not very pretty.

I seem to remember an F1 race at Indianapolis where there were two tire manufacturers. The teams running on one brand pulled out of the race because the tires kept failing. I believe the race was run with only a half a dozen cars or so.

Later,
Eldon

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, EldonZ said:

I believe the race was run with only a half a dozen cars or so.

Yep, Bridgestone vs Michelin. All of the Michelin teams pulled out because of the potential speeds around the banking. 

Only Ferrari (and a couple of back marker teams) were left. MS ‘won’ that particular race. 

Yes, part of the death knell for F1 at Indy. IIRC, Ralf had a nasty crash with back injury during qualifying thanks to a tire letting go. 

Red Bull F1 open day.....

https://www.facebook.com/events/red-bull-racing/red-bull-f1-racing-factory-tour/475603183645798/   not many lotus vehicles likely to be in attendance

• Gold FFM

Late to the conversation on the tire wars but, please don't bring that back, it was awful. Each track/conditions suited one or the other better and you would end up with a split grid, those who had the right tires and those that didn't.

Then it was worse because Ferrari had special versions of the special tires so on, so forth...

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterdays qualifying highlights was sooooooooo much better without the over excitable 2.  Steve J was said to be self isolating - did not recall mention about the commentator - hope they are still isolating for next week as well.

Means todays' highlight will be watchable (depending a bit on what the race is like as well.

The gap between Red Bull and Mercedes seems to be seems to be getting closer with regards to lap times.

Are Mercedes starting to catch up or is it all down to Pirelli enforcing higher? / safer tyre pressures.

Red Bull said they were sticking to recommended tyre pressures but so was everybody else. It would be interesting to know how they made it work better for them above everyone else.

Finding ways to circumvent the rules gives them a performance advantage but has the risk of becoming unsafe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mg4lotus said:

Finding ways to circumvent the rules gives them a performance advantage but has the risk of becoming unsafe.

It is not as if there have not been cheats in the past. Each team tries to find a way to bend the rules to their advantage. Tyres just seem a new source of opportunities.

• Like 1

Another area is flexing wings to reduce drag at higher speeds. This leads vibration in the structure. How long before it leads to stress fractures and structural failures?

Going back to tyres @C8RKH, it was notable that Verstappen's tyre failed but Perez did not.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
6 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

It is not as if there have not been cheats in the past. Each team tries to find a way to bend the rules to their advantage. Tyres just seem a new source of opportunities.

Cheating, you mean like Renault, Schumacher, Prost and Verstappen (when he was first in F1)?

2 hours ago, mg4lotus said:

Going back to tyres @C8RKH, it was notable that Verstappen's tyre failed but Perez did not.

I still say Verstappen is too hard on his cars - complaining today re the brake by wire and told in no uncertain terms by his team it was his fault (braking on the kerbs), whereas nothing from Perez.

I think Bottas has lost it. He's just gone off the boil and if I was Wolf I'd be doing the driver swap with Williams now!

Perez - he must have done enough for a drive in 2022, Verstappen is enjoying having a real racer in the team, and his performance as a "wing man" if really hurting Mercedes, allowing RB to call the shots.  As long as they can stop that interfering old fart Marko Nosparko from interfering Perez will be good for Max and the team.

Hamilton got a lot of work to do, but does not seem to be being a prima donna about it and is just keeping his head down, which is good to see.  I think reliability will play a key part in who wins this year.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

A flawless performance by Max, and the Hamster will be getting rattled now.

George Russell - such a shame about the car, he was doing so well. Despite Bottas being third, it was a another lacklustre performance by him, and they should swop the two of them now.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

On 27/06/2021 at 11:21, mg4lotus said:

The gap between Red Bull and Mercedes seems to be seems to be getting closer with regards to lap times.

Are Mercedes starting to catch up or is it all down to Pirelli enforcing higher? / safer tyre pressures.

I think any improvements from Merc must be down to setup.  According to this article from BBC Merc have stopped development for this years car.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57632228

Worse than that for Hamilton, it emerged over the weekend that Mercedes have basically stopped developing their car, and Red Bull very much have not. "We need an upgrade of some kind," Hamilton said, only for his team boss Toto Wolff to make it clear that one was not coming.

• Like 1

I’ve always been a supporter of Bottas. I think he’s genuinely quick on single lap pace and has been the perfect team player in helping Merc win multiple championships. He’s also finished second in the last two drivers championships and Merc can’t ask more than that.

However, I do think it’s now time for Russell to replace him for 2022. Hamilton is in the twilight of his career and Merc will need a new number one driver in a couple of years and that clearly isn’t Bottas. They need to test Russell alongside Hamilton for a couple of seasons to see if he’s really up to the task or not. It’s one thing making a good impression with a mid-grid team but quite another to become a regular winner for a top team. Bottas was brilliant at Williams before he got the Merc drive in 2017.

As for Max, well he’s just superb and is going to be hard to beat in a competitive car, even for Hamilton.

I'm really hoping that we get to see 4-5 top teams next year fighting with the new spec car. I would like to see a battle between Leclerc, Max, Lewis, Norris and Alonso. I also hope we get to see some good racing and not just strategy.

Later,
Eldon

• Gold FFM
Posted (edited)

I think you will get your wish Eldon.  

McLaren are coming on form nicely, so next year I think we will see Merc, RB, Ferrari and McLaren all quite close.  Reasonably strong driver line ups in those teams too so should be a good fight.  

Edited by Bravo73
  • Like 1