free hit
counters
Formula One - Page 54 - Motorsport - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Formula One

KAS-118

Day 1 (of 3) pre season testing underway.....and what a surprise #44 is looking forward to this years racing.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Russian Grand Prix cancelled following invasion of Ukraine

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60523049

The Russian Formula 1 Grand Prix has been cancelled as a result of the invasion of Ukraine.

An F1 statement said it had been agreed at a meeting of stakeholders "that it is impossible to hold the Russian Grand Prix in the current circumstances".

It added that F1 was watching the ongoing situation in Ukraine "with sadness and shock and hopes for a swift and peaceful resolution".

The Russian Grand Prix was due to take place on 25 September in Sochi.

Meanwhile, Haas team boss Gunther Steiner has said the future of his driver Nikita Mazepin "needs to resolved".

• Like 2

Well sounds logical to me... The perception would be terrible if they kept the branding on. They could have waited to do it but considering the sanctions, it could have been providing free advertising for money that would not come with international money transfers from Russian companies being blocked. Uralkali is closely aligned with the Kremlin, they are being watched and foreign assets will probably be frozen or have been already.

I think they could keep Mazepin as their second driver but he is a pay driver so  if there's no money, then no honey. Besides Mazepin may find himself in a tricky situation travelling between race as he only has Russian passport - actually cannot believe that he was not "provided" with a Maltese one by the way.

The good thing is that Haas has saved all of its development money from last year and assigned it to this year, while Uralkali essentially funded racing  and travelling for the season. And now with the budget ceiling  Gene Haas is in a better position to fund his team besides Haas got some of their FOM money so their season is safe.

I'm really able to undertand how Haas has not been able to tap into  the us market for  companies to come onboard his program - except for Peak lubricant in the first two years, and MauiJim Eyewear today. I'm not talking about big money sponsor here, just any partner at all.  Most of their partnerships have come thru their drivers or Steiner's European contacts. They have done very little activation in the US. 

I don't know how much their US base, built to great expanse in Nascar country, has been contributing to the team at all as their engineering is done at their new Maranello office and their race hub is near Banbury in the UK. I do command  Gunther Steiner for his ability to keep this team together.

Edited by NedaSay
  • Like 1

Haas PR team just finished scrubbing the team website, the team is know known again as the Haas F1 Team. They have also somewhat "elevated" the visibilty of 1&1, their german telecommunication partner (linked to Mick Shumacher), we could see 1&1 and IONOS gaining visibilty  on the car in Bahrein.

I guess they still have to get a new team kit from Tricorp - their new workwear  partner - and to figure out a new livery and possibly a replacement driver. while resolving their reliability issue with the car. Fun days ahead for Gene Haas and Guenther Steiner and their crew.

• Like 2

With the cars porpoising like that it looks quite dangerous, easy for the driver to lose control. It also must be worrying for the drivers that they don't end up with brain damage, something like shaken baby syndrome.

How did Lotus overcome the poprpoising when they developed ground effect? Was it active suspension?

Edited by mg4lotus
  • Like 1

The ground effect back then was not as effective as today when the cars are litterally sucking themselves down to the ground, because the aero science has moved on quite a bit, the skirt were very effective  but the cars aero was still rough compared to today. 

here: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.tech-tuesday-the-lotus-79-f1s-ground-effect-marvel.sAD9PXt7mC8iMSwwe6CCw.html

On 25/02/2022 at 19:17, mg4lotus said:

With the cars porpoising like that it looks quite dangerous, easy for the driver to lose control. It also must be worrying for the drivers that they don't end up with brain damage, something like shaken baby syndrome.

How did Lotus overcome the poprpoising when they developed ground effect? Was it active suspension?

The ground effect back then was not as effective as today when the cars are litterally sucking themselves down to the ground, because the aero science has moved on quite a bit, the skirt were very effective  but the cars aero was still rough compared to today. 

here: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.tech-tuesday-the-lotus-79-f1s-ground-effect-marvel.sAD9PXt7mC8iMSwwe6CCw.html

Last F1 to be formally unveiled the Alfa Romeo (Sauber). I like this livery

alfa-romeo-c42-1.webp

Note the original wheel cover treatment.

McLaren didnt experiece the same porpoising effect as the others, maybe they have something the others don`t

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Williams did not have much of it either... Ferrari was hit most I heard., porpoising is nothing new for engineers, there are ways to curb it.

In other news Mazepin will be allowed to race under the neutral flag of the FIA. However if he can compete he may not be able to travel to some races due to Russian passport holders being unable to obtain visas in a few places at this point in time.

Also, still no news on how Haas and Ferrari will deal with their Russian sponsors (Uralkali and Kaspersky).

FIA did communicate today that Russian teams won't be able to display russian symbols and no "Russian national teams" will be able to compete in FIA sanctioned event... Which is funny considering that other than the race of nation there are no national teams in motorsport. It must be a relief for the likes of G-Driver and SMP racing which will be allowed to complete under neutral licence at Le Mans 24 and WEC if France and the E.U do allow them in that is.

FIA reading the room wrong yet again, the old saying cash is king springs to mind. Lets hope like FIFA they do the honourable thing and reverse there decision. 

• Gold FFM

@redwing I agree but it seems the FIA does not. Yet again when big calls need big balls we get the opposite from the FIA.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

@RedwingFully agree. After last year’s debacle and now this I hope that many will be abandoning F1, I certainly am. Any interest in the “sport” that I have/had has now certainly gone.

A friend works for BT and they have cancelled all leave so they can remove all Chinese telecommunications equipment.

I was astonished when I read the FIA's decision. Nothing against Mr. Mazepin (apart from him being a crap driver), but it seems the FIA has either missed the point or gone for the money. Or both. 

Margate Exotics.

Perhaps the other drivers should refuse to race if he does

46 minutes ago, pete said:

Perhaps the other drivers should refuse to race if he does

At least he would get pole position and win if the car holds up for a few mins.