free hit
counters
Clutch to the floor - 2010 S - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

can you take the clam off with the bumper attached?  and if so do you have to take the under tray off or just remove the front bolts.  

Sorry for my language but lotus WTF! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the slave isn't connected to the hydraulic line yet, you can push the pin into the body. If it is connected, you could also open the bleeder and lose some fluid while pushing the pin back in. 

Motul RBF660 is recommended a lot for Lotus cars.  Thats what ES motorsports use in my car and is suitable for track use.  Available via Amazon if local shops are closed at the moment. This is no

I had this issue back in January. Its not possible to change the master cylinder on RHD cars with the clam on.  You have to remove the clam and you need two people to remove the master cylinder a

Posted Images

Well what a fing nightmare that was. they are off both bumper and clam shall be painting the grill whilst the bumper is off. 

Okay there is some device with a fork Connecting to an arm on the clutch, obscuring access with an hex head bolt. Assume I can just unscrew and unplug connector without doing a harm?

Sorry. I didn't have that bolt on mine!

That's the switch for the cruise control/fuel cut for ECU. Just the single screw and off it comes. 

Edited by Scotsdave
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok after changing the master cylinder all seemed fine.  Today I went to Stratton Motor Company (Very good job/service and reasonable prices) to get the Aux belt changed and they noted that when they reversed the car the clutch went half way down so didn't engaged properly.  After a few tries it was then okay.  Could it be that I have not bled it enough (still a little air in system)?  I have not experienced it and was fine when I tried it on the forecourt and on the way home.

Could the slave cylinder be playing up?  They said that the slave cylinder recall had been done on it.

• 2 weeks later...

ok bleed and no air came out.  Today whilst reversing to park (had to reverse about 3 car lengths) it wouldn't come out of gear even though I had my foot on the clutch.  In the end I had to put my foot on the brake, release the clutch and let it stall? Then drove home.  All seeming okay!

What could this be?  😠😠😠😠😠

It looks like the problem manifests itself when you creep along.  as it then did something similar in 1st gear when putting the car in the garage.

It can't be anything other than a draqging clutch. If it works sometimes but not others the it is air trapped in the system. Put your foot on the clutch and it moves the lever to release the clutch plate. Keep your foot down and air gradually allows the lever to move back a little. 

Its possible. If the slave has developed a 'ridge' where the seal was sitting previously and then the new clutch has changed the 'resting' point of the seal then its possible that the seal is no longer seating properly. It happens on older cars that have been sitting unused. It may be that. If you bleed the system and then the reverse and first gear work without any creeping, but later after some time then develops creeping, the air is leaking in somewhere.  If it creeps immediately after the clutch has been bled, then the air has not been removed.

Ok that’s a plan, thx very much. The cars only done 26k and 2010 so could be that.  Is changing the slave a ball ache?

ok so bleed again from slave, allowed around 30cm of fluid to come through pipe no obvious bubbles 😠😠😠. clutch still not releasing.  how much fluid should I allow through system?  Is there anywhere else I should bleed from?

Bugger!

Back to steps taken so far.

Clutch was replaced with pressure plate and centre plate?

Both slave and master now replaced or seals replaced?

Air bled out with a pressure bleeder?

Are there still air bubbles,  after  bleeding, leaving for 30 mins and bleeding again?

if no bubbles you now need an assistant. One pushes the cluth pedal, the other looks for movement in the pipes flexing and for movement of the operating arm coming out of the slave.

After that I'm lost.

The pressure plate has to see enough movement to allow the centre plate to be released. If the movement isn't enough then its usually air compressing in the system rather than the fluid moving and pushing the rod. If the rod is moving enough then the problem is within the clutch housing. 

• Like 1

Ok thx, god I hope its a slave cylinder.

clutch and pressure plate not changed as far as I know only had car since November 2019.  Car Mileage only 26500miles

master cylinder changed 3 weeks ago

slave not changed yet.

I’ll get an assistant and test.

thx again

🤞pump the pedal rapidly and then wege it down with a length of wood and leave it overnight don't know if this will help used to work 20-years ago on black cabs thanks bye ps with bleed nipple shut

Edited by Painterdave
Adding
19 hours ago, agentdr8 said:

Only 2 bolts hold the slave on, in addition to the hydraulic line. Aisin CRT-085. 

No need to remove engine, just the rear under tray. 

Ordered.  Hope they are reasonable quality?  very inexpensive part

It's the exact same part that Toyota uses on those transmissions in other vehicle configurations. When you go to pull the OEM one off, it should have AISIN embossed on the side.

Aisin makes quality hydraulics; a lot of master cylinders in Toyota vehicles are theirs as well, and they usually last 100K miles easy. It's a shame Lotus didn't use them for the master; would have avoided a lot of issues that people encounter.