free hit
counters
Gunnar Nilsson Lotus World - Motorsport - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Gunnar Nilsson Lotus World

sstiel

I hope everyone is keeping safe during this difficult time.

Gunnar Nilsson's team was Team Lotus. After his sad death in 1978 from cancer, the cancer treatment campaign in his name raised funds for Charing Cross Hospital. Lotus World  magazine carried news about fundraising events.  I wonder if anyone has any copies that I could find to look at? I'm working on a book about Gunnar.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome! 

Richard @Parramint may be able to help?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Not a magazine, but there is a piece about Gunnar Nilsson in the 1978 edition of Autocourse. “An appreciation by Chris Witty”

I can try and scan and email you a copy if it’s of use, but I don’t want to breach any Copyright rules!

Edited to add - In the 1977 Autocourse he placed sixth in their top 10 driver review with a small write up.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I wonder how long Lotus World magazine ran for? I am working on a book about Gunnar Nilsson and in 1984, one Lotus World issue showed people still fundraising for his cancer treatment campaign even after his Suite had been opened in 1981 at Charing Cross. If anyone has copies of Lotus World that show more fundraising efforts, please feel free to get in touch,

Here is a photo of his JPS 77, from the founders day event at the lotus factory in 1983 , it has the fund raising display by its side. I would have imagined that the event would have been covered in Lotus World. I used to have all the issues but sold them years ago along with a bunch of Club Lotus mags.

gunner1.JPG

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, exeterjeep said:

Here is a photo of his JPS 77, from the founders day event at the lotus factory in 1983 , it has the fund raising display by its side. I would have imagined that the event would have been covered in Lotus World. I used to have all the issues but sold them years ago along with a bunch of Club Lotus mags.

gunner1.JPG

Oh that's a lovely picture. May I use it and how much would you like for it?

When do you think your book will be published?

In terms of the pic, I don't want any money for it. If you show it as from me - Keith Robins.    I have rescanned it using a better resolution and attached. I took this photo it is not taken from anyone else.

Don't know who the bloke is behind, may be someone from the charity or one of the helpers (like me and the wife) who helped out at this event.

Scang2.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

When do you think your book will be published?

In terms of the pic, I don't want any money for it. If you show it as from me - Keith Robins.    I have rescanned it using a better resolution and attached. I took this photo it is not taken from anyone else.

Don't know who the bloke is behind, may be someone from the charity or one of the helpers (like me and the wife) who helped out at this event.

Scang2.jpg

I hope to have the book sent to the publisher by the end of August. Restrictions to libraries have been a problem but I'm doing what I can. Wonderful picture and thank you very much indeed.

I've had a look through my copies of Lotus World and found some articles relating to Gunnar's campaign. I can scan them and e-mail to you, if you are happy to provide address by direct message.

• Like 1

I've mess

15 hours ago, SJP68 said:

I've had a look through my copies of Lotus World and found some articles relating to Gunnar's campaign. I can scan them and e-mail to you, if you are happy to provide address by direct message.

I've messaged you my address. Thank you for your kind help. Lotus World ran for how many years?

1 hour ago, sstiel said:

Lotus World ran for how many years?

Found this on the internet....

Lotus World (Team Lotus)

In 1982 Club Team Lotus and Lotus Cars Limited began publishing ‘Lotus World’. The first issue (Vol.1 Issue 1) published in April of that year was an oversize, 16×12-inch, 8-page newspaper on high quality paper that featured the new Elite and Eclat Riviera models from Lotus Cars. The newspaper was sent out on a monthly basis to Club members who had paid the £15 membership fee. Lotus World continued in this large format into mid-1983 when, Vol.2, Issue 2 in May of that year changed to a more standard, 8×12-inch (A4) format, stapled magazine/newsletter with 16 pages. A few years later, and to help keep their copies safe and clean, for just £6.40 each, club members could buy green binders with a gold foil Team Lotus badge and the Lotus World/Club Team Lotus title on the front.

The magazine continued in the same style and format until March of 1990 when the name on the cover was changed to Team Lotus World. This was Vol.8, Issue 12 and featured the Camel Team Lotus Type 102 with drivers Derek Warwick and Martin Donnelly on the cover. Sadly the club was closed down and this would be the final issue that completed 13 newspapers and seven binders worth of Team Lotus and Lotus Cars history.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exeterjeep said:

Found this on the internet....

Lotus World (Team Lotus)

In 1982 Club Team Lotus and Lotus Cars Limited began publishing ‘Lotus World’. The first issue (Vol.1 Issue 1) published in April of that year was an oversize, 16×12-inch, 8-page newspaper on high quality paper that featured the new Elite and Eclat Riviera models from Lotus Cars. The newspaper was sent out on a monthly basis to Club members who had paid the £15 membership fee. Lotus World continued in this large format into mid-1983 when, Vol.2, Issue 2 in May of that year changed to a more standard, 8×12-inch (A4) format, stapled magazine/newsletter with 16 pages. A few years later, and to help keep their copies safe and clean, for just £6.40 each, club members could buy green binders with a gold foil Team Lotus badge and the Lotus World/Club Team Lotus title on the front.

The magazine continued in the same style and format until March of 1990 when the name on the cover was changed to Team Lotus World. This was Vol.8, Issue 12 and featured the Camel Team Lotus Type 102 with drivers Derek Warwick and Martin Donnelly on the cover. Sadly the club was closed down and this would be the final issue that completed 13 newspapers and seven binders worth of Team Lotus and Lotus Cars history.

Thank you for looking that up. Lotus Worlds may be helpful to my colleague Ibrar Malik in the future. 

I have the full set, except for the very first issue, late sending off my subscription form, no tinterweb in them days.

Lotus World magazine stopped, when Lotus Cars withdrew support, but Club Team Lotus continued as Team Lotus Associates, where members received race card reports for the 1990 F1 season and for the 1991 F1 season, they received race reports, team lotus news and picture cards, that built up into a file. This was the final year of the club. I have these as well and was able to help another Forum member who was also writing a book.

So if any body is looking for information from Lotus World magazine, I may be able to help.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SJP68 said:

I have the full set, except for the very first issue, late sending off my subscription form, no tinterweb in them days.

I had a similar experience, but I had a spare issue 2 and one day I drove to visit Team Lotus (in the later days when they were not near the factory, and swapped my spare issue 2 for a copy of issue 1 that they had, to complete my collection.

I remember the race report cards but was not too impressed by them, when compared to the original issues.