free hit
counters
Evora S 2011 Clutch Upgrade / Replacement - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Evora S 2011 Clutch Upgrade / Replacement

Firstly hello,

Apologies if i'm posting incorrectly or if this has been answered else where, i did do a few searches but didn't find what i'm looking for.

I have a 2011 Evora S which is having some engine work done,  whilst in the process i think it prudent to replace the clutch.    I see there are a few options and i'd like to know what the general consensus is from real world feedback.    

Options I've found so far:
- Monkey Wrench racing (Heavy Duty Street Disc)
- Elise-shop.com (Evora High Performance Clutch Pack)

Also whilst the engine is out should i replace the slave cylinder as i believe this can be a weak point resulting in clutch dropping to the floor,  this hasn't happened to me.    If is should replace what are the recommendations.

Thanks

Mike

Clutch.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The OEM E400 clutch & flywheel are a marked improvement on the S version. However, there were also a number of upgrades each time the Exige got more power. 

@Hangar 111 might be best placed to advise what is the best ‘bang for your buck’ re an upgraded clutch. 

(Whilst it’s all apart, it is also worth considering putting an LSD in there). 

20 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

The OEM E400 clutch & flywheel are a marked improvement on the S version. However, there were also a number of upgrades each time the Exige got more power. 

@Hangar 111 might be best placed to advise what is the best ‘bang for your buck’ re an upgraded clutch. 

I'd not thought about and LSD,  certainly worth considering.   Thanks

I had the Evora 400 clutch out into my Exige 350 under warranty a while back and it has been good. I also had a Quaife LSD fitted at the same time.

We will find out pretty soon if the clutch can handle 490hp and 530NM of torque from my new TVS1900 kit! Nope, not worried in the slightest... 😬

47 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

@Bravo73 What were the other upgrades each time the Exige got more power? I thought that it was essentially the same clutch used in all the 4** series Exige/Evora cars. Thanks

28 minutes ago, Mycos79 said:

I'd not thought about and LSD,  certainly worth considering.   Thanks

I would highly recommend an LSD, but ideally you also need adjustable suspension so you can play with the balance a bit

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Evora 400 clutch seems to work fine at 460+, short ratio, LSD etc cars.  Depending on your use dictates whether you go for anything more hard core in use - i.e. the lightweight flywheel and puck type clutch is great, but I wouldn't want to be stuck in traffic with it!  Note you have to change the flywheel also for the 400 clutch.  And also have a close inspection for cracks on the flex plate, as they are a fairly common failure.

There are some further uprated OEM parts that feature on the 410 and 430 cars.  Higher clamping load cover plate, and a different driven plate too.

Dave

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pkn said:

Is the LSD noticeable when driving on the road - Id' imagine on the track it would be but always wondered if it's worth it for just a road car?

Probably not noticeable until you are driving fast on loose surfaces to be honest, but while you're there?  Also I'd consider what Dave has just said. Those parts weren't available when mine was done, but I' would probably have gone for them if they has been.

Hi 

Its a 3rd car so it's primarily used for weekend fast road blasts with potential occasional track use.   Where i live traffic isn't an issue however i will use it to tour across Europe post lock down, so i like to bias to drive ability vs absolute performance.    I don't intend to up the power much so not sure id get the benefit of LSD.

4 hours ago, Mycos79 said:

Hi 

Its a 3rd car so it's primarily used for weekend fast road blasts with potential occasional track use.   Where i live traffic isn't an issue however i will use it to tour across Europe post lock down, so i like to bias to drive ability vs absolute performance.    I don't intend to up the power much so not sure id get the benefit of LSD.

I'd say go for the proven Evora 400 option.

Dave

12 hours ago, Mattmahope said:

@Bravo73 What were the other upgrades each time the Exige got more power? I thought that it was essentially the same clutch used in all the 4** series Exige/Evora cars. Thanks

9 hours ago, Hangar 111 said:

There are some further uprated OEM parts that feature on the 410 and 430 cars.  Higher clamping load cover plate, and a different driven plate too.

13 hours ago, Hangar 111 said:

I'd say go for the proven Evora 400 option.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the recommendation,  is this a direct swap for the installation i currently have.

Mike

16 hours ago, EGTE said:

What about changing the oil lines from rubber to the new metal pipes?

Hi, 

I'll check what the car currently has,  if there are rubber now is a good time to get them changed whilst the car is literally in pieces.  =

Thanks

50 minutes ago, Hangar 111 said:

Yes, though you have to fit the E400 flywheel also.

Dave

Thanks for the recommendation,  i'll add this to the to to list.       

Just looking on the Hanger111 website and saw the phase 2 kit (tempted) would this clutch still be ok at that level?  

59 minutes ago, Mycos79 said:

Just looking on the Hangar111 website and saw the phase 2 kit (tempted) would this clutch still be ok at that level?  

Yes, should not be a problem.  As I said there are numerous cars out there running at least 460 with this clutch setup.

Dave

• Like 1

I've been looking at alternative clutch options for higher powered cars.  It looks like either Exedy http://www.exedy.co.uk/ or Xtremeclutch (aka XClutch in the US) https://www.xtremeclutch.co.uk/ are the main alternatives.

Something like this if you are being sensible: http://www.exedy.co.uk/products/mt-sports/stage-1-organic 

Or something like this if you not so sensible: http://www.exedy.co.uk/products/mt-sports/hyper-carbon-d

Has anyone got any experience with either of these companies?

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/05/2020 at 19:11, EGTE said:

What about changing the oil lines from rubber to the new metal pipes?

Hi,  i checked and the car has the rubber variants,  do you have any information or link where i can learn more and possibly get parts instructions etc.  thanks