free hit
counters
Trefeo R Tyre sizes - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I have been using Michelin Cup2’s on my Exige 410, and want to try Trefeo R’s to see how they feel on the track and if I can improve my track times. I’m finding it hard to get much information here in Adelaide (South Australia) and would like to know if others have tried the 225 fronts and 295 rears on their Exiges and if they have had any problems. Also, what tyre pressures would be best - 29psi front and 32 psi rear as for the Cup2’s??

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually there is 215/45 R17 and 285/30 R18 Trofeo R in Pirelli price list from 5/2020.  http://www.zavodnipneu.cz/zavodni-pneu-pirelli/    

Hi Robjo, if you SSC for a quote on a 215 front you'll see what I mean. The Cup 2's have given me very good mileage which I don't expect from the Trefeo's. Once I have some data, I'll let you know how

On Track - if the tyres are warmed up - 2 bar or 29 psi for front and rear tyres. Street driving i go for 2.1 bar (30 psi) front and 2.3 bar (33 psi) rear.   Hasta ahora yo no útilizo espaciadores

One info, as per this dedicated topic :

On 01/12/2019 at 23:41, Martrack said:

Most interesting, Pirelli just told me the Trofeo R will be available in both 215/45 ZR17 and 285/30 ZR18.
ETA Q1 2020.

But may have been delayed due to the worldwide situation these days...

I was using dunlop dz03g on the wider 380 cup rims in 215 and 285 and the sizing was really good but they stopped making the rear 285

I used then trofeo r tyres on the 380 cup and on the v6 cup r and used different combinations ( but never used a 295 rear tyre )

On the 380 cup I used 225 front and 265 rear ( the rear 265 trofeo r is wider than other 265 tyres and I think that 295 could be too wide )

No problem with the 225 front except on some rare full lock really really slight rubbing but the tyre side is taller and makes the front sit a bit less low.

On the v6 cup r I used trofeo r on std ( narrower ) wheels in std 205 and 265 size and later switched to bc forged wider wheels with 225 front and 265 rear trofeo r and they were fitting perfectly the slightly wider wheels.

Lap times on a twisty track were BTW about the same between the front 205 and 225.

I saw another 380 cup fitted with advan a052 in 295 and I have to say that they looked ok on the rear.

So I would say that the best size for the lotus is probably 215 and 285 if available but depending on what you can find I would suggest 225 front and 265 rear for trofeo r ( 205 front on the 410 front wheel could be a little narrow )

Or you could maybe use the advan a052 in 215 and 295 .

I use Trofeo R with 225 on front and 295 on the rear since autumn last year. They work fine on track and are to my opinion more predictable than toyo R888R for example. lap time-performance even used 235 on the front for driving on the Nürburgring Nordschleife with an Exige 380. Usually the 225 / 295 combination doesn't rub while driving on the streets.   

A pro racing driver told me recently, that 1 cm more tyre width means about 1 sec lap time on a circuit about 5 km length.

In comparison to the Michelin Cup 2 the Trofeo R is quite expensive, but personally i think it's got a slightly higher grip level. It's up to ur own if u think it's worth the higher price.

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I can't buy the 215 Cup 2 fronts in Australia for my 410 Exige. I've been in touch with Michelin here and was told that we are not importing them because there is not enough demand in Australia. I can buy them from the Australian Lotus importer (Simply Sports cars), but the price is outrageous (about twice the cost in the UK) as they are profiteering from the fact that the only other way to get them is to import them yourself. The 410 comes with the 215 front and 285 rear Cup 2's here. Trefeo R's don't come in a 215 or a 285, so I thought I'd rather go up in a size than down. I've measured the clearances as best I can and was pretty sure the 225's and 295's would clear the body work, but I wanted to be sure when I reached 240+ down the main straight that the tyres wouldn't expand to cause a problem or wouldn't hit the body work on full lock or full brakes. I appreciate all the help. I'll get myself a set of Trofeo R's and see if I can beat my best lap times around our local "International Track" called "The Bend".

The Bend comes in 3 configurations - all technical and challenging and 2 of the configurations have some very fast sections. Down the long straight the GT3's pull away and so I'm tempeted to extract a few more horespower ... but that's a slippery slope ...

Hi Suto,

I enjoyed the footage around the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Thanks.

Doc, I am in Melbourne and will have the same dilemma, interested In the how you find the Trofeos and cost difference between SSC supplies Michelin’s. 

5 hours ago, Doc Rock said:

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I can't buy the 215 Cup 2 fronts in Australia for my 410 Exige. I've been in touch with Michelin here and was told that we are not importing them because there is not enough demand in Australia. I can buy them from the Australian Lotus importer (Simply Sports cars), but the price is outrageous (about twice the cost in the UK) as they are profiteering from the fact that the only other way to get them is to import them yourself. The 410 comes with the 215 front and 285 rear Cup 2's here. Trefeo R's don't come in a 215 or a 285, so I thought I'd rather go up in a size than down. I've measured the clearances as best I can and was pretty sure the 225's and 295's would clear the body work, but I wanted to be sure when I reached 240+ down the main straight that the tyres wouldn't expand to cause a problem or wouldn't hit the body work on full lock or full brakes. I appreciate all the help. I'll get myself a set of Trofeo R's and see if I can beat my best lap times around our local "International Track" called "The Bend".

The Bend comes in 3 configurations - all technical and challenging and 2 of the configurations have some very fast sections. Down the long straight the GT3's pull away and so I'm tempeted to extract a few more horespower ... but that's a slippery slope ...

Hi Suto,

I enjoyed the footage around the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Thanks.

The Cup 2’s are a wide tyre in comparison to Trofeos and so going up 1 size is not actually adding very much width 

Hi Robjo, if you SSC for a quote on a 215 front you'll see what I mean. The Cup 2's have given me very good mileage which I don't expect from the Trefeo's. Once I have some data, I'll let you know how I go on the Trefeo's and how they wear.

14 hours ago, Tex said:

The Cup 2’s are a wide tyre in comparison to Trofeos and so going up 1 size is not actually adding very much width 

Thanks Tex.

• Like 1
On 14/05/2020 at 17:22, Suto said:

I use Trofeo R with 225 on front and 295 on the rear since autumn last year. They work fine on track and are to my opinion more predictable than toyo R888R for example. lap time-performance even used 235 on the front for driving on the Nürburgring Nordschleife with an Exige 380.

Suto, what tyre pressures do you find best for the Trefeo’s? ... similar to the cup 2’s with 29 front and 32 rear??

5 hours ago, Doc Rock said:

Suto, what tyre pressures do you find best for the Trefeo’s? ... similar to the cup 2’s with 29 front and 32 rear??

On Track - if the tyres are warmed up - 2 bar or 29 psi for front and rear tyres. Street driving i go for 2.1 bar (30 psi) front and 2.3 bar (33 psi) rear.  

Hasta ahora yo no útilizo espaciadores para usar Trofeo R en 295

3 hours ago, Joseph Antabi said:

¿Utiliza espaciadores para Trofeo R 295?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Suto said:

On Track - if the tyres are warmed up - 2 bar or 29 psi for front and rear tyres. Street driving i go for 2.1 bar (30 psi) front and 2.3 bar (33 psi) rear.  

So you use the same pressures front and rear, unlike the Cup 2's. I find the Cup 2's will increase from cold anywhere from 4 to 8 psi on the track, depending on the temp of the track and configuration I am driving. I usually do 5 laps initially, then let them down which gets them pretty close for the rest of the day. Do the Trefeo's heat up a similar amount compared to the Cup 2's ... or being softer do you find they heat up more?? ... I hope you don't mind all the questions ... 

Respecto a .... Hasta ahora yo no útilizo espaciadores para usar Trofeo R en 295
¿Utiliza espaciadores para Trofeo R 295? ... Todavía no los he probado y otros han dicho que no usan espaciadores.

• Like 1

Yep, same target pressure of 2 bar for front and rear tyres on track.

Went to Bilster Berg a few days ago. It's a quite twisty little track with 4.2 km length in northern Germany. Some call it the small Nordschleife, because it got a lot of up and downs and some blind corners.

While driving continuously a bit faster for about 30 min and starting with warmed up tyres at 2 bar the Trofeo R did increase in pressure to 2,3 bar max. Lost about 1,5 mm of profile depth on the rear tyres in about 2,5 hours of driving on that day. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the info. It appears that, like the front Cup2's, this size is not available in Australia.

Edited by Bravo73

Doc,

Did you consider the Yokohama AD08R at all? Appear to be available in Australia in the correct sizes.

No I didn't consider them, but thanks for the info. How do they compare to the Trefeos? Have you tried them? I thought the Trefeos were a more grippy tyre than the Yokahamas ... 

No I haven't tried them, just looking for options as there aren't many and it seemed in a similar category. I suspect the Trefeos will be have a lower track time.

I am looking for an acceptable balance between track and street as I have been dailying the 410 for most of the week, so its important for me to get an tyre that is acceptable on track as well as coping with a cold/wet drive in traffic rather than outright lap time, particularly as my driving capability is well below that of the lotus. 

Posted (edited)

My experience with the Cup2's has been excellent. Good grip at the track with an excellent wear rate. They are an great compromise tyre in my opinion. However, I just wanted to try something that was even stickier to see how much I could get my lap times down. I only use my Lotus for fast country runs and the track, so mileage is not an issue with tyres for me ... in fact I wish these Cup2's would hurry up and wear out, but they are continuing to deliver despite the thrashing I give them ... 

Edited by Bravo73