free hit
counters
Battery trickle charger - permanent connection - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Battery trickle charger - permanent connection

Hello,

I'm sure many of us are in a similar situation at the moment - Lotus sitting there, eagerly waiting for somewhere to go! So I'm looking to get a trickle charger - my battery has gone flat twice in the past year (luckily when the car's been at home). So I'd like to get a trickle charger, but would like to find one with a lead permanently connected to the battery, so I can open the bonnet and plug the charger in, rather than trying to crocodile-clip it on to the battery under its cover. Can anyone recommend any suitable chargers that have this? I'm happy to have the lead just dangling in the boot when not in use - I'm not looking to install some kind of external connection to the car.

Alternatively, has anyone had any success charging via the cigarette lighter? But I assume that's not live when the ignition is off - I haven't checked. It's a 2013 Elise S.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

~ Paul

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've got one of these and a CTek MX5.0

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/battery-accessories/ctek-comfort-battery-charger-connector-166622.html

The cigarette charger ones only work when the ignition is on as you mention. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

My brother and I have always used CTEK chargers across bikes and cars with any issues.  A mate uses the Optimate4 as well and again, no problems with it.  I pick up an Elise in the next couple of weeks and will be using my CTEK5 with that.

• Like 1

I have a CTEK MX5.0 and the same adapter as Bibs linked to earlier.

The adapter is permanently fixed to my PC680 battery, and I have the CTEK suspended from the ceiling so the cables don't drag over the bodywork. Once a week I plug the CTEK into the adapter harness, leaving the rear lid slightly ajar, and just leave it overnight and the car has been fine all winter. 

• Like 1

My Ctek MXS3.8 arrived today. I've connected the adapter cable to the battery, and saw that a previous owner had presumably done something similar...when I thought "how shall I feed the cable out through the battery box?" I noticed a perfectly-sized square hole cut into it to feed the cable through! I tested out the mains cable routing, and it appears that the rear lid will close perfectly with the cable fed out through the seal, thanks in part to those Lotus panel gaps!

The next job is to route some mains power so I don't have to have an extension lead sprawling all over the place.