free hit
counters
any electricians? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
red vtec

any electricians?

Anyone a sparky?

I'm trying to figure out a three way switch in my house. Currently (excuse the pun) I have a 2 gang downstairs that controls the hall light and the landing light, upstairs I have a 1 gang that controls the landing light. I want to put a 2 gang on the landing which will allow me to switch the hall light on and off. I can do this by running another 3 core and earth cable. But I want to put another 1 gang near the front door to allow me to switch the hall light on and off when we come in. Do I just run another 3 core and earth cable? the hall light is currently switched from the 2 gang switch? I have read up on intermediate switches but the example I have seen has the light coming off a switch on the end of the chain, not in the middle as I have.

Thanks for help.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you are having 3 switches doing one light - then you must use an intermediate switch.  It’s simple - but does depend what you have the switch points.

Only here once

HI Barry,

Does that mean I need to change where the light connects in?

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

No - just depends what you need to run from where to where. 

Draw me a simple sketch of what switches are where - them words above are a blur 🤭 and what’s in the back boxes. 

Only here once

No idea, stand in a bucket of water when you do it though and nail a copper spike into ground and hold it between your teeth before you start always worked for me 

• Haha 1

Ta I'll draw it out in a min, appreciate the help. 

Amateurs built the Ark

Right hope this makes sense! 

The last  image is an example I found of three way but the light comes off the end switc. 

IMG_3620.JPG

IMG_3622.JPG

IMG_3623.JPG

Amateurs built the Ark

that is correct and I am a sparky, don’t be daunted, worry about the brown cable  follow that and it ain’t rocket science the rest will make sense 

I hadnt seen your reply then i was replying to Barry’s and I have lawyers 😜

• Haha 1

I understand Barrys diagram, but I don't understand how to wire it as my light comes off the middle switch in my situation

Amateurs built the Ark

Your light live can come off anywhere in any of the switches - as Dan says follow the brown wire 👍 - just NOT the commons or it’ll always be on

Only here once

4 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Your light live can come off anywhere in any of the switches - as Dan says follow the brown wire 👍 - just NOT the commons or it’ll always be on

so my light can come off L1 & L2 in the middle switch?

Amateurs built the Ark

Woah hang on...... the light can come off L1 or L2 - it still needs a nuetral.

Only here once

I'm lost

Amateurs built the Ark

You are over thinking it, look at the cables marked L1 and L2 firstly,   on Barry’s diagram forget what colour at the moment get your head around that then the other bits are simple. Follow them cables first, on the diagram once you get your head round that it is really simple. Honestly happy to help Admittedly capacitive reactance is another thing entirely but wiring a house is less scary than you think. I can do it and I can write and everything not sure about Barry though 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Look at L1 and L2 then we can introduce you to C (common) after that you will wonder why there are any domestic electricians in the country 

is it live to L1 and N to the common in the middle switch?

Amateurs built the Ark

Ha I see what you are saying unfortunately the blue can also be a brown. Right tomorrow after I haven’t drunk a bottle of wine I will have a go at explaining it, so maybe it is rocket science 😂 it ain’t but totally get where I didn’t explain that correctly 

L1, L2 are strappers and are switched lives - common are live as well.

you can use any L1 or L2 as the light switched live ( but not the one where your permanent live is supplied ) - you just need a Nuetral to go with it 

Only here once

12 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

L1, L2 are strappers and are switched lives - common are live as well.

you can use any L1 or L2 as the light switched live ( but not the one where your permanent live is supplied ) - you just need a Nuetral to go with it 

I am banned from quoting by the boss, (sorry) but re-read that Barry and tell me that would make sense to anyone ever 

• Haha 2

Im going to bed (whilst leaving the hall light on) and will have another go tomorrow 

• Haha 2

Amateurs built the Ark

Barry's diagram is different to mine.

On mine switch one L1 goes to L1 and switch one L2 goes to L1 in the intermediate switch. Switch  3  L1 goes to L2 and switch 3 L2 goes to L2 in the intermediate.

Barry's switch one L1 goes to L1 and switch one L2 goes to L2 in the intermediate switch. Switch  3  L1 goes L1and switch 3 L2 goes to L2 in the intermediate. 

Still no wiser! 

Amateurs built the Ark

L1 or L2 - no matter both are potentially live 

Only here once

I thought that was the case. But still don’t see how I put the light in the circuit 

Amateurs built the Ark