free hit
counters
** New Member Advice On Lotus Elise S1 ** - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

** New Member Advice On Lotus Elise S1 **

LotusHW

Hi all, I've just joined the forum looking for advice on purchasing a Lotus Elise S1.

Is there any particular  s1 model that has a cable throttle apposed to drive by wire its something I have read?

With regarding head gasket problems is there a fix to this? Theres mix views on this to a simple fix from muilty layer head gasket to mods need to the engine itself to fix the problem. 

Is there any other common probelms to look out for please feel free to add anything in to buying/owning and maintaining a Lotus.

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome to TLF. 

I was under the impression that all S1 Elise's were cable operated throttle, the part number is A111J0444F.

The HG suffers when cold water from the rad heads into the cooling jacket as the thermostat opens. The cure to this is to fit a PRRT - https://www.eliseparts.com/shop/engine-br-gearbox/cooling/pressure-relief-remote-thermostat-kit/

The K-Series is a common engine and multi layer head gaskets will make a more suitable replacement than OEM should you have the original one let go. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thank you for the info 👍

I saw a car for sale stating that it had the sort after drive by wire rather than a cable how true it is im not sure because I thought they were all cable operated aswel. 

Edited by LotusHW

2 hours ago, Bibs said:

I was under the impression that all S1 Elise's were cable operated throttle, the part number is A111J0444F.

I think the FBW throttle came in around 2006/7? I remember because I had a 2004 111R at the time and was considering fitting the oem s/c as it became available from the factory, only then to be told it was only suitable for FBW throttle cars and no, Lotus won't roll it out for the cable throttle cars. In the end I ordered a new 240PP Exige and shortly after Lotus made the oem s/c available for cable throttle cars. Bugger.

Don’t you just love Lotus cars selling procedures, when we purchased our Exige roadster senior Lotus management “no way will we be bringing out an IPS auto version for at least two years” not if we can bring one out in 7 months.

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own a true British supercar the Evora GT430