free hit
counters
Production of the Renault Alpine to Stop? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KAS-118

Production of the Renault Alpine to Stop?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@jep - yeah, you make a very good point regarding F1, I hadn't thought of that.

It does make you wonder how many motor manufacturers will want to invest in F1 as it exists at the moment - given the financial hit they've taken from Coronavirus, the impending recession and the need to invest in Zero Emission cars.

I have previously mentioned that Renault will pull the plug on F1 sadly I can not see any alternative for them especially after the embarrassment in the driver market last week. As for the A110 wow it would be so sad to see it dropped and like it’s been mentioned the only winner as to be lotus. Aways been a massive fan of Renault performance cars. My first new car was a 5 Turbo in tungsten grey at the age of 21 and one car I will never forget, all my friends where driving XR2s and 3s always fun leaving them behind on the the fast B roads.. Went on a purchased a Alpine V6 Turbo a good few years later. Great car but sadly came with lots of little problems that took the enjoyment away but sure it was that car that pointed me to owning a lotus, plastic with the engine in the back.

• Like 2

I had an Alpine GTA V6 Turbo at the same time as my R5 Turbo 2. Both Dieppe products. I never really gelled with the GTA, also due to niggles. I sold it back to my brother within a year, whereas I kept the R5 T2 for 14 years. He’s still got the GTA 20 years later and its barely turned a wheel in all that time. I was never really in the market for the new A110, but the lack of a manual version would have ruled it out for me under any circumstances.

@scotty435 I had a 5 Turbo new in 1987, E reg, electric blue. One of the truly great cars of all time. 15,000 miles sold in 1988 for £7,250, paid £7,650. Only sold it to buy a classic car. Always wanted another, finally did so in 2014 and love it. Bought a restored one with multiple owners, use and abuse it. Investment-wise, I should have bought a low miler and not used it - but what is the point? Fast Classics have your exact 5 for sale at the moment - £23K!

Justin

• Like 1

It’s bloody Porsche again- 50k - Renault / Porsche / elise -90 % of people will buy a cayman / boxster

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jep said:

@scotty435 I had a 5 Turbo new in 1987, E reg, electric blue. One of the truly great cars of all time. 15,000 miles sold in 1988 for £7,250, paid £7,650. Only sold it to buy a classic car. Always wanted another, finally did so in 2014 and love it. Bought a restored one with multiple owners, use and abuse it. Investment-wise, I should have bought a low miler and not used it - but what is the point? Fast Classics have your exact 5 for sale at the moment - £23K!

Justin

Totally agree with everything you say and good on you to go out a buy one years later, shows how good they where at the time. Purchased my in 5 in 1990 on a H plate and sold 3years to a person that is still the owner to this day and is in pristine condition and as been in many magazine articles. Love to buy it back one day.

• Like 2

Had an 11 turbo in 88 one of the best cars I ever owned- until my girlfriend at the time  ran up the arse of a Sierra and wrote it off

• Like 1

Would love to drive a R11 Turbo. Interior looks so cool. 

Justin  

• Like 1

11 Turbo had the same seats as the GTA and I can vouch for them, even to this day one of the best seats I have had the pleasure to sit in.

• Like 1

Yep seats were amazing - remote locking- trip Computor and went like stink- until turbo went pop and was probably the slowest thing I’ve ever driven-

• Like 2

French do car seats very well. Citroen GS fab. CX same and stunning to look at also. Mk 1 5 Turbo seats are so stylish. 

Justin 

• Like 1